F3EAD

The author is a genius. ;)

What specifically would you like to discuss? There are several people on the site who have experience with F3EAD/F3EA, and they're on both sides of the debate as to whether or not it's a good idea.

I don't have AKO and I don't think directly contacting an officer is the best of ideas for me, unless he's in my CoC.

Nothing to spark up a discussion as of now. The process is easy to understand and parts seem like common sense to me. Just making sure what I'm reading is valid and not leading me astray. I'm usually wary of when I read intel/ops fusion material because it can be very biased sometimes.

Since you're at GAFB & I assume you're NOT a firefighter, rest assured you'll be very well versed in F3EAD at your next duty station.

Okay, here's something I've been wondering for a while: Irrespective of collection methods/sources, how does the SOF targeting process differ from that of, say, a regular infantry battalion?

Process is the process like football: some colleges have mores resources (human, technical, material) & better facilities but the game is exactly the same.

Okay, here's something I've been wondering for a while: Irrespective of collection methods/sources, how does the SOF targeting process differ from that of, say, a regular infantry battalion?

Different SOF elements use different targeting methodologies. F3EA/F3EAD works very, very well in organizations that truly believe "intel drives operations" and "operations directs the intel effort." SOF or not, in organizations without an effective ops/intel lashup, F3EAD (or any meaningful targeting methodology) is going to be less than fully effecting at anything other than the very basic tactical level.

Many people associated F3EAD with a certain element within SOF. While the technique may have originated in that element, they are not the only ones who can use it effectively. F3EAD isn't just a targeting methodology, it's an organizational culture. When you can get ops and intel working that closely together, with effective leadership for C2 and a competent staff to support it, it can do great things. And that's irrespective of the type of organization, the kinds of targeting, or the level of resourcing.

how does the SOF targeting process differ from that of, say, a regular infantry battalion?

WAAAAY faster. And I think that is one of, if not the most important, keys to making F3EAD work well. If there is a week inbetween each step, then you would never produce the results that the system is capable of.

Speed is definitely a key characteristic of F3EAD. But what really makes it work, and what is the key component, is the true fusion of intel and ops. F3EAD will not work effectively in units that only pay lip service to "intel drives operations" and "operations directs intel." That's why F3EAD is not only a targeting process, it's an organizational culture.

Too many units out don't have intel as a priority; in those units intel is there to hand out maps, check arms rooms, and to be blamed when an operations doesn't go well. In units where intel is a valued part of the team, commanders at all levels have high expectations of their intel professionals, and empower and enable those professionals to provide a high level of support to the operational mission.

You shouldn't bash SF in the Guard like that. ;)

lol

The units I really had in mind when I made that statement were my infantry battalion in the 101st and pretty much my whole experience in 2ID.

At the same time though, with the (lack of) quality of some intel types in some SF units, I don't blame SF guys for relegating some of their intel types to menial labor- because that's all they can be trusted with.

:) Yeah, physical security is a legit S2-type function, I don't think most intel guys mind doing it. It's when that's ALL that the intel guys do (or when the ops guys try to stick us with managing OPSEC too) that it becomes a problem.

It depends on how bad the arms room are :ninja:

It's not the arms rooms checks are a pain in the ass- they're usually not- it's just that when that's all you call on your intel guys to do, it usually means they're underemployed. Or the unit doesn't need/doesn't know how to employ intel. OR, it means your intel guys really, really suck and you can't trust them to do anything else. However it shakes out, there's a problem if all you have your intel guys doing is arms rooms checks and handing out maps.

Back