Falkland Islands to Argentina?

RB, sorry mate I can't agree with you on that one. The islanders identify as British subjects, they are not oppressed or yearning to be free of the British yoke.

Argentinas claim that they are inside their territorial waters is as sound as the US claiming they should take over Canada because they are right next door.

As to being a lackey of the crown :p it does have some advantages mate and I'm very proud of the Royal that was at the start of my former units name. The Queen is even the Colonel in Chief of my regiment.

Mike, what your bringing up is technical difficulties. Do not discount the will to win despite this. The UK forces are battle hardened troops.

Oh wow... you know what is my concept of "World War"...interesting... but especially you know the Real Concept... Please let me know mine...I'm so stupid and young... especially illiterate... I never been to 760 United Nations Plaza NY, I never been to Boulevard Leopold III in Brussels... I never studied models of war, International relations, International Law... you too? Please tell me what is a "World War"

Mike it could never be a world war, you know that. at most there might be a dozen countries involved with maybe half of them actively engaged in conflict.
Besides we couldn't fit everyone onto the Falklands for a world war lol

"Germany, can you move over a bit, France doesn't have enough room".

"NEIN!"

Mike it could never be a world war, you know that. at most there might be a dozen countries involved with maybe half of them actively engaged in conflict.
Besides we couldn't fit everyone onto the Falklands for a world war lol

"Germany, can you move over a bit, France doesn't have enough room".

"NEIN!"
LMAO!!... you won!

I wonder if musicians, comedian, and actors will ever begin to understand that no one gives a hoot about what they think just because they're famous?

Whatever gets your name on the news or on the internet though, right? Sell outs :-"...

I fail more and more to see the difference between them and politicians.
If someone agrees with their stance on a given point, they get one vote or make a movie ticket/DVD sale. If someone disagrees, no vote, no sale.
This is über-boring, and you can't test Cadillacs or race Formula 1 on this shit.

Naw, this thread is OK.

As the First World reports in English, the wiki articles and all the hoopla has a demonstrably English / British slant, "We found it, we made a map of it, we landed there first...blah blah".

I invite you to take a few minutes and read the history of "Las Malvinas" from a different side of the world: [this link you will not find on a basic search for info]

http://www.mrecic.gov.ar/

[Look at this as from a Democratic POV and a Republican POV]

[Don't just read the quote, search a bit more]

In present day, I look at it this way, with regards to American History.

IMHO, If the Argentinians put up a fight for Las Malvinas, the Argentines might certainly lose in the initial stages, but not in the long run. Let's go back to the American Revolution. Britain could not sustain a war from across the ocean, so they finally abdicated the "Americas" to the BRITISH colonists who left England . British troops couldn't land, much less walk the streets of a large populated area.

I see more or less the same situation in Argentina. If England did in fact go to war with Argentina, they would have to sustain the war from VERY long distances, as all of the South American countries surrounding Argentina are on the Argentine side of the argument for Malvinas. No landings, no flights. British are disliked in the surrounding countries as it is, much much less so if a "war" were on.

Just as many troops from foreign countries supported the US in the initial stages of war with Britain in 1775, so it would be in Argentina. Look at the weaponry used in 1775, peasants with muskets, axes, hatchets, very little to no military training VS. a vastly superior British military force. The Brits got there collective asses handed to them and went scurrying home in defeat.

I understand the economic POV from Britain, but in my estimation the Argentines aren't so much interested in the economy as they are the integrity of a sovereign nation laying claim to islands within their globally recognized territorial waters.

2c.

I don't need to read it as I'm well aware the AR argument rests almost solely on "it was Spain's, ergo it is now ours because we used to be a Spanish colony." Which is a rediculous argument when you look at it- perhaps they should claim the South Eastern US too, since that was Spain's too at one point. Would you support that?

They could probably claim the rest of Spanish speaking South America come to think of it. But they don't. Why not?

Furthermore I find your "under the thumb" comment offensive and frivilous- though I suspect you put it there for lack of a good argument.

Furthermore I find your "under the thumb" comment offensive and frivilous- though I suspect you put it there for lack of a good argument.

Spit, Let's agree to disagree, as we do on many occasions here.

LOL. I can say "under the thumb" because I don't kiss the queens blue blooded colonialist arse.... :sneaky:..and in Queens English, it's "frivolous".

Your lack of research or will to "left click" the link doesn't diminish the Argentinian argument....FYI....so here it is again:

http://www.mrecic.gov.ar/

FWIW, I'm not knocking the British military service in any way, shape, form. I respect military service for country at the utmost of my being.

Your "lack of a good argument" quote is your excuse for not researching more as you admitted and seem to know it all and you have your heartfelt view. Cool. I have mine.

I support Argentina in their quest for a unified Malvinas.

RB, sorry mate I can't agree with you on that one. The islanders identify as British subjects, they are not oppressed or yearning to be free of the British yoke.

.......and they would not be oppressed under Argentina, either.

Even though they qualify as British subjects, they've always received autonomy and support from Argentina. That wouldn't change.

The indigenous population of Malvinas has always been Argentinian, and the relationship between the Brits and the Patagonian Indians has always been good. No reason for that to change.

Here's a funny little item, the "Kelper's" that inhabit Las Malvinas are viewed by the Royals as sub-human citizens of the Crown. How is that a good life for a British "subject"? What the "Kelper's" don't know and have never experienced is that their independence from British rule may just be better for them in the long run. It is for us Americans..

On the Island you have Kelpers and you have British soldiers.

The Islanders are British, albeit with a distinct identity of their own:
British cultural, economic, social, political and educational values create a unique British-like, Falkland Islands. Yet Islanders feel distinctly different from their fellow citizens who reside in the United Kingdom. This might have something to do with geographical isolation or with living on a smaller island – perhaps akin to those British people not feeling European. (Lewis Clifton, Speaker of the Falklands Legislative Council)[4]
2c

I'm not going to reply because I'll say something I'll regret later but suffice it to say you know *nothing* about the Queen or how it works so I might ask you to please refrain from commenting on it.

Here's a funny little item, the "Kelper's" that inhabit Las Malvinas are viewed by the Royals as sub-human citizens of the Crown. How is that a good life for a British "subject"? What the "Kelper's" don't know and have never experienced is that their independence from British rule may just be better for them in the long run. It is for us Americans..

I'm not really sure how to respond to such incredible ignorance and misinformation in a respectful way. It seems that you've been influenced far too much by Argentinian propaganda, yet you claim that we're the ignorant ones.

Your comparison is poor as well. America wanted its independence from the British. It wasn't forced onto them.

.......and they would not be oppressed under Argentina, either.

Equally ridiculous. How is it not oppressing people when you force them to be under your rule when they don't want to be?

Hey, let's go annex some neighbouring regions! Even though they don't want us there, it's totally okay because we'll, like, respect their autonomy and stuff!

The indigenous population of Malvinas has always been Argentinian

It takes incredible ignorance to believe that the islanders identify themselves in any way, shape or form as "Argentinian", when it is in fact the exact opposite. Calling an apple an orange doesn't make it an orange, I'm afraid.

Furthermore, proclaiming that people in some neighbouring region are 'part of your nation' (even though they don't think they are), in order to justify taking over that region with no regards to what they actually want sounds eerily familiar... in a bad way.

On the Island you have Kelpers and you have British soldiers.

You couldn't be more wrong and more misinformed about what's actually going on in the Falkland Islands. What you believe in, that the islanders are actually Argentinian and don't associate themselves with the British, is pure fantasy.

Your cherry-picked quote from Wikipedia isn't much better either, and you've complete misinterpreted its meaning. The fact that the Islanders have a distinct identity of their own doesn't make them any less British (and certainly no more Argentinian). The Welsh have a 'distinct identity of their own', even their own language, and yet they're still 100% damn British.

Your attempt to separate the islanders from the British to justify your position is quite poor and completely ignorant of reality on the islands. Finally, the reasoning that sees the islanders as 'Argentinians' (when they sure as hell aren't, and don't want to be) is something similar to lines used by expansionist warmongerers throughout history.

I guess any view different from yours in viewed as "ridiculous" , "ignorant", "misinformed", and "misinterpreted".

Nice. Done here.

WOW, this took a turn for the surreal.

Closed unless another mod/admin wants to take it on.

Last edited:
Back