Falling through thin ice

I'm more of a desert dweller myself, but I would think something like that needs to be practiced. Last thing to go through my mind if that happens is, oh, I remember that YouTube video now...

It's amazing how quick shock takes over you. I fell through thin ice once when I was in my teens, but I was lucky enough to just be crossing a river at the time and didn't go completely under. Even though I only went in up to my stomach before my feet hit bottom, I lost my breath for a couple of seconds and began to panic.

Hard, yet lucky, way to learn that lesson. This way is much easier. Good on him for making this video.

I've spent a lot of time on the ice, it still freaks me out. And it is definitely something to be practiced, just like anything else.

When I was young and dumb, in the Spring; we'd fuck around on the ice a lot. When the air was "warm" and ice thinning, we'd see who could get the furthest across the ice before going in. Until one year, a kid went through one of the same spots we fucked around on and the current took him.

Then in the Army we'd practice it during winter training. But in January/February, chainsaw a hole in the ice, with medics and safety divers on standby. Plus we're tied off to a rope.

If you are going on the ice, I'd suggest a good float suit but if you don't have one, at the very least get or build some hand ice picks on a lanyard. Lace them through your coat arm's, like your mittens.

All this ice walking is great, but we only have ice in our drinks down here, and if my childhood of cartoon watching taught me anything, it's that quick sand is the most likely way that I'll end up dying. So if someone could dig up a survival video for that, I'd appreciate it.

I'm sure practicing would be good for those that spend a lot of time on frozen lakes, ponds, etc but doing a polar plunge is about as close to practicing as I'll ever need...and just doing that once is good.

BTW, I never go on frozen rivers anymore, as @RackMaster pointed out, currents and general movement make ice too unpredictable; not worth the risk.

All this ice walking is great, but we only have ice in our drinks down here, and if my childhood of cartoon watching taught me anything, it's that quick sand is the most likely way that I'll end up dying. So if someone could dig up a survival video for that, I'd appreciate it.
I too grew up thinking quick sand would pose a greater problem than it has in my daily life. I spent a great deal of time in my youth keeping an eye out for it. 😂

Back