Feds admit FBI warrantless cellphone tracking ‘very common’

Brill

SOF Support
Holder Gone Wild?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/mar/29/feds-fbi-warrantless-cell-tracking-very-common/

FBI investigators for at least five years have routinely used a sophisticated cellphone tracking tool that can pinpoint callers’ locations and listen to their conversations — all without getting a warrant for it, a federal court was told this week.
The use of the “Stingray,” as the tool is called, “is a very common practice” by federal investigators, Justice Department attorneys told the U.S. District Court for Arizona Thursday, according to the American Civil Liberties Union.
Installed in an unmarked van, Stingray mimics a cellphone tower, so it can pinpoint the precise location of any mobile device in range and intercept conversations and data, said Linda Lye, staff attorney at the ACLU of Northern California in a blog post about the case.

Holder Gone Wild?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/mar/29/feds-fbi-warrantless-cell-tracking-very-common/

FBI investigators for at least five years have routinely used a sophisticated cellphone tracking tool that can pinpoint callers’ locations and listen to their conversations — all without getting a warrant for it, a federal court was told this week.
The use of the “Stingray,” as the tool is called, “is a very common practice” by federal investigators, Justice Department attorneys told the U.S. District Court for Arizona Thursday, according to the American Civil Liberties Union.
Installed in an unmarked van, Stingray mimics a cellphone tower, so it can pinpoint the precise location of any mobile device in range and intercept conversations and data, said Linda Lye, staff attorney at the ACLU of Northern California in a blog post about the case.
5 years would indicate Pre-Holder; but Holder could have killed it, so he needs to be held responsible.

I love how the ACLU are both vaunted Heros and terrible horrible people depending on which side you're on when they bitch.

Wait a minute, I thought we didn't conduct warrantless wiretaps?

Huh. Learn something every day...

I love how the ACLU are both vaunted Heros and terrible horrible people depending on which side you're on when they bitch.

True story ask Rush!

I suspect a whole lot more capability. It just another example of how one side is against something until they're the one's that have to face the real world and suddenly things become a whole lot more palatable. When the weight of actually protecting the country falls on somebody shoulders it's surprising what they can do. Obama accepted much of what he complained about in Bush's administration and I suspect that the next Republican POTUS will accept much of what Obama does today including his drone policy.

The Washington Post, ACLU and EVERYONE ELSE involved need to STFU.... :thumbsdown:

If shit is happening that is not suppose to be then get a handle on your people and discipline them accordingly. What is not needed is a damn story about it.

The ACLU needs to be flogged publicly. They could give "fuck all" about any infractions but simply exist to try and undermine capability.....

My .02

Nope, they need to sing from the hills about this shit.

You want it OPSEC then keep it opsec and use it appropriately.

This is neither.

Yes I do. That is what I'm saying. Perhaps I'm biased with this issue but I don't need a detailed story. "There is concern that agents are conducting warrantless wiretapping...blah blah" Nothing more needs to be said.

Also, when someone OTHER than the ACLU is the one forthcoming on this issue then perhaps people should be concerned. I'd bet my left nut that the ACLU doesn't give a damn if some people had their calls listened in on while agents were training ect. What's their real agenda?

This is the same ACLU that was and is continuing to cry about the drone strikes overseas.

Yes I do. That is what I'm saying. I don't need a detailed story. "There is concern that agents are conducting warrantless wiretapping...blah blah"

Nothing more needs to be said.

"there is concern" without backing it up with solid evidence? Sounds weak to me.

They said they could, they said they did/do. Your point is moot, because if anything about it was opsec than the justice attorney's should have kept quiet about it. Never mind the whole fact that for privacy reasons cellular frequencies are blocked from scanners etc, yet it's perfectly fine for effectively open-air wiretapping to occur with no warrant?

You're completely in the wrong about the "keep quiet" bit, just as much as every fucking agent who's operated this equipment in other than training, without a warrant. I have no problem with the government having all these tools at their disposal. I liked SIGINT, it was awesome. The fact is, ESPECIALLY within the borders of the USA, there's these things called Laws and the Bill of Rights that you need to follow.

Edited to fix spelling headspace and timing

DOJ is the law! Who else can be found in contempt of Congress but suffer ZERO reprocussions?

I'm not a fan of the ACLU but agree with them on the above as well as the drone issue. Our gov is drunk on power and cash.

The Washington Post, ACLU and EVERYONE ELSE involved need to STFU.... :thumbsdown:

If shit is happening that is not suppose to be then get a handle on your people and discipline them accordingly. What is not needed is a damn story about it.

The ACLU needs to be flogged publicly. They could give "fuck all" about any infractions but simply exist to try and undermine capability.....

My .02
They have had 5 years to discipline accordingly, that's enough time.
My guess is the original leak came from someone who tried to stop it and was rebuked/punished.

Now, every Defense Attorney will be demanding to see cell wire-tap records, convictions may get overthrown.

They had a chance to operate legally and blew it.

They have had 5 years to discipline accordingly, that's enough time.
My guess is the original leak came from someone who tried to stop it and was rebuked/punished.
Now, every Defense Attorney will be demanding to see cell wire-tap records, convictions may get overthrown.
They had a chance to operate legally and blew it.

Agreed. The actions of "rogue" employees become the responsibility of the organization. If the practice is not halted nor addressed and becomes fairly common the company is condoning it. After 5 years? It looks like an unwritten SOP.

Back