Feds admit FBI warrantless cellphone tracking ‘very common’

Did they approve the kill everyone on sight policy at Ruby Ridge?

According to Coulson's book, the deadly force policy was approved up the Bureau chain of command. I don't remember any mention in his book of the US Attorney's Office.

I'm just talking about the SIGINT collection topic.

Whoa there! They are authorized to conduct operations that support law enforcement cases ONLY. SIGINT isn't conducted domestically...or it hasn't since Nixon...and possibly Clinton...or possibly Obama.

Possibly

Smart phone has nothing to do with it. The jurisdiction I'm aware of this stuff being used requires a warrant to actually listen in on anything that's being said/transmitted.

Smart phone has nothing to do with it. The jurisdiction I'm aware of this stuff being used requires a warrant to actually listen in on anything that's being said/transmitted.

Smart phones transmit a huge amount of your personal info when you use it to third parties. This particular stuff may not target them specifically but won't help the loss of privacy I'm sure.

To be honest.. Old I know. They are allowed to tap phones whenever and wherever. Bugging phones covertly via a mole is preferred. But, you still are allowed to tap phones whenever the need arises. Plausible deniability should be utilized by these idiots in the DOJ. Electronic surveillance is a huge tool in fighting terrorism.

To be honest.. Old I know. They are allowed to tap phones whenever and wherever. Bugging phones covertly via a mole is preferred. But, you still are allowed to tap phones whenever the need arises. Plausible deniability should be utilized by these idiots in the DOJ. Electronic surveillance is a huge tool in fighting terrorism.

Maybe in Soviet Russia but not so much here.

Maybe in Soviet Russia but not so much here.
The Patriot Acts I and II allow the NSA to eavesdrop on electronic communication without a warrant. Furthermore, your right to privacy is precluded if you are communicating abroad. Executive Branch directives or orders have the force of law. GWB and Obama understood that we needed more stringent intelligence gathering methods to catch terrorists. Soviet Russia did this to exert control over every aspect of society. The UK has CCTV everywhere. Audio and video observation.

And what good did it do? Spy on everyone and someone not even on a watchlist kills four Marines.

The Patriot Acts I and II allow the NSA to eavesdrop on electronic communication without a warrant.

This came about before I was old enough to understand, so I don't know much about the powers granted. I also don't know much about counterterrorism and the SIGINT capabilities required to prevent it domestically. However, I am largely skeptical of any domestic surveillance program that does not require a warrant. Maybe 30 years from now or much further down the line, after many incremental reforms instituted because the gov has instilled a fear in a society that they relinquish liberty for security, the govt turns into a communist sort of Big Brother, and a form of the Soviet Union or worse. Of course, this is an extreme example, but it is not in the realm of impossible.

I like the fact that the founding fathers put forth in the Declaration of Independence the right of the people to throw off a tyrannical government.

[QUOTE-That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government][/QUOTE]

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

I am definitely not a revolutionary, but I fully appreciate the existence of that right. To me patriotism is loving your country always, and telling your government when it is wrong.

The easiest way to take all of someone else's salami is one slice at a time.

People think the gov't planned and executed 9/11 and those people are idiots, but take advantage of 9/11? That's well within a large organization's control.

We allowed them to take a large slice and now we're on our way to eating mayonnaise sandwiches. 'Merica

The Patriot Acts I and II allow the NSA to eavesdrop on electronic communication without a warrant. Furthermore, your right to privacy is precluded if you are communicating abroad.

"Well, well, well.
If it isn't Mr. Bullshit and Dr. I'm-full-of-shit.
In what way are we full of shit?
Which one of us has the Ph. D?"- Role Models (2008)

You are aware that PAA, and it's extension, expired this summer? But let's ignore that for now. :rolleyes: Please cite the exact part of PAA section 215 that includes "evesdropping".

You may want to actually read The USA Freedom Act.

Personally if they want to read this or that screw it. I have nothing to hide. They are doing their jobs.

You don't want me or any of my brethren pawing through your life. You really don't. Trust me, I'm from the government and I'm here to help you.

So what's your address? Who's your latest squeeze?

The second that's a real statement is the same second you should send ALL your mail on postcards in lieu of using envelopes. Think about that for a minute, and the brilliance of that kind of statement.

^
^
What the freakishly large Ranger said.

Back