Fire Starting

Etype

Special Forces
Verified SOF
I saw things going this way on the Yarborough thread.

So what does everyone like to bring for fire starting? Up until now, I usually only have a lighter when it pertains to military operations. When I go camping, I take a lighter, flint which I strike with the edge of trauma sheers, and a pill bottle stuffed full of cattails. The lighter I take is a Coleman butane type.

I have a bunch of military style magnesium/flint that I haven't messed with which I will tested on a 3 day outing I plan on taking within the next week. It seems like it's more or less the only way to really light a fire in wet conditions without prepared tinder.

The cattails compress really well, I can fit about 3 full cattails into the small size Centrum bottles, it takes about 1/4 of one of them to start a well built birds nest on fire and they usually take a spark on the first strike if they are fluffed up enough.

I have started fires with a drill, but it takes a decent deal of prep as far as cutting your board, having perfect tinder, and building your drill(I've used the thong and bow type, as well as done it by hand which really sucked). It seems like more of a long term sustenance thing, or for the really obscure survival scenario(bush plane crash maybe?)- it's a good one to have in your bag, but not one that I would prepare/plan for.

So right now, my plan looks something like this-
P- Lighter
A- Striker (with procured tinder before using the stuff I bring with me)
C- Striker+Magnesium (more of a wet weather version of the alternate, or when tinder is exhausted or unavailable)
E- Some type of drill

What is everyone else doing?

I take a lighter, matches, and a flint. I take a bunch of 'strike anywhere' matches and dip the match head in melted wax to waterproof them. I'll throw a bunch of those into a pill bottle. Very light and effective. I'll also take a bunch of cotton balls coated with Vasoline.

I have taken matches and dipped them in wax to protect them from the rain (I think I read it first in Field and Stream). They fit nicely in a pill bottle for protection and you can just scratch of the wax with your thumb before striking. I wouldn't use it as a primary source, but as a back up.

I've also used lint out of a dryer as successful tinder to start a fire. It catches easily and burns fast. downside is it stinks when you burn it.

Tried and tested in camping and hunting scenarios only.

I take a lighter, matches, and a flint. I take a bunch of 'strike anywhere' matches and dip the match head in melted wax to waterproof them. I'll throw a bunch of those into a pill bottle. Very light and effective. I'll also take a bunch of cotton balls coated with Vasoline.

Looks like we posted within the same time frame. Sorry for the duplicate wax match idea. I couldn't find how to edit my post, to take out the wax and matches.

For sheer convenience and bang for buck a Bic disposable is pretty good. I have magnesium & striker as backup.

Looks like we posted within the same time frame. Sorry for the duplicate wax match idea. I couldn't find how to edit my post, to take out the wax and matches.
No worries at all. No big deal haha.

Bic carried close to the skin to keep it warm. Lifeboat matches from a ration pack (we used to call them tripflares). Magnesium and flint. Firebow with tinder dried out under my armpit or down by my balls is the last ditch method. After that, die of hypo...

My dad and I used to carry a couple sections of the newspaper with us when doing overnight trips during the AK winter. Light, doesn't take up much space, and catches a spark very easily. For the spark itself we carried a butane lighter, matches in a waterproof case, and a flint striker.

I like the little butane torch the crack heads use it stays lit in the wind better and it makes a lot hotter flame. We bought a small mill file and broke it into four pieces then we bought the flints used in the striker for acetylene torches and put a small screww for a handle works well and doesn't care if it gets wet.

I like the little butane torch the crack heads use it stays lit in the wind better and it makes a lot hotter flame. We bought a small mill file and broke it into four pieces then we bought the flints used in the striker for acetylene torches and put a small screww for a handle works well and doesn't care if it gets wet.
Can you post a pic?

Bic lighters, magnesium striker, steel wool and 9v battery, chunks of pine sap

I carry the usual lighter and a mag striker but I always have a steel wool and 9v battery at the very least. I keep a set in my gear for hunting, fishing, hiking, etc. When you are down and out exhausted, it's probably the easiest spark you'll get.

This is a great site with a lot of good ideas.

http://www.campfiredude.com/fire-battery.shtml

This is the one oI use but there are a lot of them available. Small light weight and works in all weather. P1050112.JPG

lol.

Lighter, hurricane matches, magnesium bar. Tinder on hand consisting of trioxane bars. Other methods ie drill etc, are things I can do but not things I rely on as a regular means.

Magnesium hasn't damaged a blade of mine, but generally speaking I usually try to use the squarest edge on the spine of my blade for both scraping and shaving, although I usually whittle some as well since it will make larger/longer shavings compared to scrapings. Bout a cubic centimeter of shavings and whittlings has proven good to be able to start a fire for me given good kindling in pretty much any conditions.

#1 Pardus
#2 RangerPsych
#3 0699
But let me qualify by saying NEVER take any of the the above in combination and MOS DEF NEVER ALL IN A GROUP. :-o

Back