First Female war deserter granted leave in Canada to appeal deportation...

RackMaster

Nasty-Dirty-Canuck
SOF Support
I know they are just granting her special circumstances because she is a mother but she should be treated like every other soldier; she made her choice.

Female war deserter granted leave to appeal deportation order

Last Updated: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 | 8:06 AM ET Comments47Recommend18

CBC News

A mother of three young children reported to be the first U.S. female war deserter seeking asylum in Canada has been granted leave to appeal her deportation order.
The Federal Court decided on Tuesday to hear Kimberly Rivera's appeal on July 8, meaning the former soldier will be able to stay in Canada for at least another three months.
Rivera moved to Toronto from Texas in early 2007 with her husband and two children after refusing redeployment to Iraq. In late November, she gave birth to a third child in Canada.
She had served in Iraq in 2006 as a gate guard at a forward operating base, according to the War Resisters Support Campaign. The advocacy group said Rivera is the first U.S. female war deserter to come to Canada.
In January, the Immigration and Refugee Board ordered her and her family to leave the country or face deportation. She was granted an emergency stay of the order last month.

There's no excuse. If you enlisted or re-enlisted after 2001, you knew the deal. I hope they set an example with her situation to other would-be deserters.

Let the Canadians keep her, welfare and health costs for the rugrats and douche husband will be staggering.

They wont, shes not a Somali or other nationality likely to be a terrorist/islamic extremist. Poor Canada.

How/why didn't her CoC just chapter her out?

They more than likely ran her as awol and after 31 days, DFR'd her ass. The SJA got her on the blotter for that and missing movement to a WTO resulting in a Federal Bench Warrant being issued shortly thereafter.

They more than likely ran her as awol and after 31 days, DFR'd her ass. The SJA got her on the blotter for that and missing movement to a WTO resulting in a Federal Bench Warrant being issued shortly thereafter.

And then she would be on the RADAR of the boyz at Ft. Knox - United States Army Deserter Information Point (USADIP)

Bottom line - separating (under various chapters of AR 635-200) her would give her what she wants, and would take away the Army's ability to prosecute her. Although, even if she comes back, they'll probably "chapter" her. Precedence has already been set in cases like this. Soldier returns or is taken into custody, then the command separates them rather than go thru the hassles of legal proceedings.

http://getoutofthearmy.blogspot.com/2007/09/so-im-awol-now-what.html :(

Bottom line - separating (under various chapters of AR 635-200) her would give her what she wants, and would take away the Army's ability to prosecute her. Although, even if she comes back, they'll probably "chapter" her. Precedence has already been set in cases like this. Soldier returns or is taken into custody, then the command separates them rather than go thru the hassles of legal proceedings.
I saw similar shit back when I was in. Go AWOL, you get no time. You just get chaptered out. The first time I witnessed one was in basic.

A
Bottom line - separating (under various chapters of AR 635-200) her would give her what she wants, and would take away the Army's ability to prosecute her.

Right, I was thinking more along the lines of what Marauder was getting at. My $0.02 is that if she wanted out and was saying as much then they should have just chaptered her out...before she went AWOL.

Why force someone that doesn't want to be there to stick around, or deal with the drama of having a “shit bird” around by keeping them?

Back