Focus on maxing score on APFT or do a Selection specific program?

e8f8d9

Unverified
I’ve seen the MTI Ruck-based Selection program and the Soflete one. I’ve also seen the Thor3 program. Is it best to follow such a plan or just make your own? I currently run 4 days a week, work on my pushups and sit-ups 3 days a week, and do strength work 3 days a week.

Should I focus on maxing my APFT before going to BCT?

I waited for someone else to reply, no one did so I'll jump in.

Yes, max it if you can. My data is old (mid 90's)...but the PT test was everything. Push hard and try to do your best! A 300 is easy.

Good luck buddy!!!!

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Take it a step at a time. You'll encounter PT tests before you get to Selection, and as @SpongeBob*24 said, good PT test scores mean a lot in basic...
Thank you. I'm not too worried about passing the APFT as I have to take a similar test for work. Is there a specific standard to make it into SFAS? One source I read said its just a APFT with a score of 240 or better, but I've also heard about timed 5 mile runs and rucks events from other sources but I haven't been able to find that written down anywhere.

If I focus solely on APFT score at this juncture, would I be adequately prepared for SFAS? I understand would I would attend SFPC, but it's only 3 weeks which isn't alot of time to get conditioned. Right now I'm just running 4 days a week and doing compound lifts and rucking with an ALICE pack.

Thank you. I'm not too worried about passing the APFT as I have to take a similar test for work. Is there a specific standard to make it into SFAS? One source I read said its just a APFT with a score of 240 or better, but I've also heard about timed 5 mile runs and rucks events from other sources but I haven't been able to find that written down anywhere.

If I focus solely on APFT score at this juncture, would I be adequately prepared for SFAS? I understand would I would attend SFPC, but it's only 3 weeks which isn't alot of time to get conditioned. Right now I'm just running 4 days a week and doing compound lifts and rucking with an ALICE pack.

If it isn't written down and available on the Net, there's probably a reason for the lack of information.

It is in your best interest to do as good as you can on the APFT at SFAS, however it's only one event. It's pretty easy to get a 270 or above in the APFT. You'll also have to do dead hang pull ups. Be able to do at least 10, more is better.

If you're going in as an 18X, I'd say what you are doing right now is adequate. Don't over train and hurt yourself. And don't forget about mobility.

It is in your best interest to do as good as you can on the APFT at SFAS, however it's only one event. It's pretty easy to get a 270 or above in the APFT. You'll also have to do dead hang pull ups. Be able to do at least 10, more is better.

If you're going in as an 18X, I'd say what you are doing right now is adequate. Don't over train and hurt yourself. And don't forget about mobility.

Sounds good thank you. Definitely true on the mobility. For the past few weeks I've been forcing myself to do a mobility routine because I increased my running volume and I'm dealing with a little bit of Achilles tendinitis. I'm frankly amazed at the difference it has made in my overall performance and recovery. I've been running for a few years now, but I'm seeing tremendous improvements on my speed since I started this mobility routine.

I am not sure it's a binary choice: max the PT numbers because that's the immediate objective, and crush a selection-prep program because it will only make you better/stronger/faster.

I am not sure it's a binary choice: max the PT numbers because that's the immediate objective, and crush a selection-prep program because it will only make you better/stronger/faster.
Just trying to find a good balance and avoid overtraining. MTI had an OCS program that incorporates APFT work and rucking events. Most of the other programs I see are either/or.

Just trying to find a good balance and avoid overtraining. MTI had an OCS program that incorporates APFT work and rucking events. Most of the other programs I see are either/or.

I hear you. Many selection-prep programs will cover both. I'm glad you're accounting for avoiding overtraining, don't forget nutrition.

Sounds good thank you. Definitely true on the mobility. For the past few weeks I've been forcing myself to do a mobility routine because I increased my running volume and I'm dealing with a little bit of Achilles tendinitis. I'm frankly amazed at the difference it has made in my overall performance and recovery. I've been running for a few years now, but I'm seeing tremendous improvements on my speed since I started this mobility routine.

This is something I could use if you could send that mobility routine my way.

Just a cautionary note, the board doesn't condone members trading workouts that one had to pay for. Companies develop those programs and charge for them, this board will not be a conduit for what amounts to theft.

Understood I’ll be more cautious of that.

I've just been doing the Post Workout Regeneration Routine from the free MARSOC Training Guide. It's available here.

Thanks man really appreciated.

MTIs 1st edition of their ruck based selection plan has specific APFT work and a bunch of other goals you can work on, and is completely free. I've seen the one you pay for and I personally think the free one is better. If I didnt have to worry about swimming I'd do this plan for sure.

Mod Edit: Removed file.

Last edited by a moderator:
MTIs 1st edition of their ruck based selection plan has specific APFT work and a bunch of other goals you can work on, and is completely free. I've seen the one you pay for and I personally think the free one is better. If I didnt have to worry about swimming I'd do this plan for sure.

Mod Edit: Removed file.

Could you post a link to the free program? I didn't see one on MTI's website. Thank you.

Could you post a link to the free program? I didn't see one on MTI's website. Thank you.

That's my fuckup. I found the program after googling it under an air force website for going to SERE school, not MTI. Wont happen again.

I just completed BCT and you’ll be completing the ACFT. However, the PT test for the advanced schools is still APFT that you’ll take at AIT or the end portion of OSUT.

Back