Prep for SFAS at 34

TYW27

Verified Military
I just combed through this forum (Special Operations Selection Preparation) and didn't see what I was looking for, however I may have missed something. It looks like my shot to SFAS is through an 18x contract. The Army recruiter is telling me the process will take about 2 months for me to be accepted by the Army and then start the pipeline from there. Even though I have been thinking about getting back in the military it's been an on and off battle with either recruiters or getting my wife on board. Now everything is lining up and I'm not prepared physically. My biggest fear is adding too much volume too soon and breaking before getting to OSUT. I've been doing some basic weight training on weekdays and Spartan training all out on Saturdays. I finally found a good pair of shoes to run in and I'm slowly getting back into running. When I was in the Marine Corps I went to BRC (phase I 2x, Patrol phase 2x) and was able to pass all the physical requirements then (2011). Mentally I can push myself, but I want to make sure my mind doesn't break my body before getting to SFAS.

If I can crush the APFT and Ruck a fast 12 miler will that be enough for getting me through physically? I'm not asking about minimums, but I feel like this is the best I can do in the short time period it looks like I have.

Or should I delay my join date until I'm physically prepared (whatever that means) and then go?

Here is my current plan that I'll be starting tomorrow. My base so far has been strength train 3x week and Saturday go all out with CrossFit type workout.

Monday
Functional Fitness
Kettlebell Swings

Tuesday
Run 1:2 (20 minutes)
Lift

Wednesday
Functional Fitness (sprint)
Kettlebell Swings

Thursday
Functional Fitness
Lift

Friday
Run 3:1 30 minutes
Recover

Saturday
Spartan training
Recover/Yoga

Sunday
Recover/Yoga

Functional Fitness training is:
row 1000meters to warmup, mobility work, core work, deadlift 3x5, sled work 4x25m, squat 2x12,
AMRAP I 5 minutes: pushups 5, pullups 3, kettlebell swings 10
AMRAP II 8 minutes: pushups 10, pullups 5, swings 10
AMRAP III 10 minutes: pushups 12, pullups 10, swings 15
Stretch

OR

Sprints 200, 300, 400, 500 or some combination of the above

Spartan training is just more high cardio intensive and strength intensive AMRAPs
An example would be rowing machine and 400m carry 80lb sandbag, assault bike and clean a 50lb sandbag 5x each shoulder, do box jumps pull 80lb sandbag on a hoist and run on the treadmill.

Lifting is Easy Strength by Dan John (bench 2x5, lat pulldown 2x5, deadlift 2x5, ab work 2x5, carry heavy weight)

Running is run/walk ratio at an easy pace for 20 or 30 minutes. Work up to running 60 nonstop minutes easy.

Goal is to start adding a ruck march on Friday or after the Spartan workout on Saturday. Probably start with a 5 miler at 25lbs, then add 5lbs or 2 miles each week.

Last edited:
Hey man I just wanted to wish you luck in your endeavor and make a comment. I remember when I was 34 my knees were pretty much shot which became clear to me when I tried out for a local police department. I passed the running test but had to ice my knees for a week.

That really isn't very helpful to your situation I know but sometimes the mind is willing when we start to get a little older but the body is what is holding us back.

Either way best of luck to you and I hope you make it.

God bless,
Gary

Thanks @Bypass ! That’s one of the things I’m very concerned about and am monitoring going forward. I don’t want to be a liability. I don’t even want to be the guy that is middle of the pack. So far I’ve been very blessed to not have any knee or back problems. I’ve spoken at length to a friend who is retired SOF who knows me well and he said I would know if my body can take it in about a month of my training. I guess we’ll all see. I’ve pushed my body past it’s limits before and got rhabdo so I’m trying to be smart this time around.

You've been around the block. You know your body and know what it's feels like to over train. Over training and hurting yourself is probably your biggest hazard at this point. I'd stick with what you got, with throwing in some rucking, but nothing crazy. If you go into the 18X pipeline in good shape, they will do the rest to help set you up for success.

Kids who barely pass a PT test at the start of basic training get to SFAS and are successful. That pipeline will get you squared away if you do your part, and don't get injured.

A prior Marine and 39 year old set the Q course ruck record in my class. Age is just a number.

I just combed through this forum (Special Operations Selection Preparation) and didn't see what I was looking for, however I may have missed something. It looks like my shot to SFAS is through an 18x contract. The Army recruiter is telling me the process will take about 2 months for me to be accepted by the Army and then start the pipeline from there. Even though I have been thinking about getting back in the military it's been an on and off battle with either recruiters or getting my wife on board. Now everything is lining up and I'm not prepared physically. My biggest fear is adding too much volume too soon and breaking before getting to OSUT. I've been doing some basic weight training on weekdays and Spartan training all out on Saturdays. I finally found a good pair of shoes to run in and I'm slowly getting back into running. When I was in the Marine Corps I went to BRC (phase I 2x, Patrol phase 2x) and was able to pass all the physical requirements then (2011). Mentally I can push myself, but I want to make sure my mind doesn't break my body before getting to SFAS.

If I can crush the APFT and Ruck a fast 12 miler will that be enough for getting me through physically? I'm not asking about minimums, but I feel like this is the best I can do in the short time period it looks like I have.

Or should I delay my join date until I'm physically prepared (whatever that means) and then go?

Here is my current plan that I'll be starting tomorrow. My base so far has been strength train 3x week and Saturday go all out with CrossFit type workout.

Monday
Functional Fitness
Kettlebell Swings

Tuesday
Run 1:2 (20 minutes)
Lift

Wednesday
Functional Fitness (sprint)
Kettlebell Swings

Thursday
Functional Fitness
Lift

Friday
Run 3:1 30 minutes
Recover

Saturday
Spartan training
Recover/Yoga

Sunday
Recover/Yoga

Functional Fitness training is:
row 1000meters to warmup, mobility work, core work, deadlift 3x5, sled work 4x25m, squat 2x12,
AMRAP I 5 minutes: pushups 5, pullups 3, kettlebell swings 10
AMRAP II 8 minutes: pushups 10, pullups 5, swings 10
AMRAP III 10 minutes: pushups 12, pullups 10, swings 15
Stretch

OR

Sprints 200, 300, 400, 500 or some combination of the above

Spartan training is just more high cardio intensive and strength intensive AMRAPs
An example would be rowing machine and 400m carry 80lb sandbag, assault bike and clean a 50lb sandbag 5x each shoulder, do box jumps pull 80lb sandbag on a hoist and run on the treadmill.

Lifting is Easy Strength by Dan John (bench 2x5, lat pulldown 2x5, deadlift 2x5, ab work 2x5, carry heavy weight)

Running is run/walk ratio at an easy pace for 20 or 30 minutes. Work up to running 60 nonstop minutes easy.

Goal is to start adding a ruck march on Friday or after the Spartan workout on Saturday. Probably start with a 5 miler at 25lbs, then add 5lbs or 2 miles each week.
Here’s the program I’ve been following that got me to a 54 second 400m, 9:45 two mile, 96 pushups, 123 sit-ups, and 36 pull ups.

Monday
10’ warm up + 3x120+ 6x1km @3:10 1’ recovery + circuits (6 sets 6 exercises 20 reps 30” rest)

Tuesday 30’ run + 10x100 @70percent effort with walk back recovery + mobility, calisthenics and core.

Wednesday 10’ warmup +4x120+ 8x2’ with 45” recovery at 12.0-12.5 mph. + circuits

Thursday same as Tuesday

Friday 10’ warmup + 4x150 + 6’-5’-4’-3’-2’-1’ cut down with 2’ jog recovery. + circuits

Saturday pushups/sit-ups/pull-ups max tests in the morning + 3-5 hour ruck (40+pounds) at 10-13 incline on the treadmill.

Sunday: 20’ easy jog + stretching.

Oh yeah. Before I started training like this ( 2-3 months ago) I was at 58 (400), 10:20 (2 mile), 65 pushups, 100 sit-ups, and 18 pull ups.

Here’s the program I’ve been following that got me to a 54 second 400m, 9:45 two mile, 96 pushups, 123 sit-ups, and 36 pull ups.

Monday
10’ warm up + 3x120+ 6x1km @3:10 1’ recovery + circuits (6 sets 6 exercises 20 reps 30” rest)

Tuesday 30’ run + 10x100 @70percent effort with walk back recovery + mobility, calisthenics and core.

Wednesday 10’ warmup +4x120+ 8x2’ with 45” recovery at 12.0-12.5 mph. + circuits

Thursday same as Tuesday

Friday 10’ warmup + 4x150 + 6’-5’-4’-3’-2’-1’ cut down with 2’ jog recovery. + circuits

Saturday pushups/sit-ups/pull-ups max tests in the morning + 3-5 hour ruck (40+pounds) at 10-13 incline on the treadmill.

Sunday: 20’ easy jog + stretching.
When you write 10' or 30', what does the little mark mean to you? Feet? Miles?

Also, just to make sure I'm reading this right, you're walking on the treadmill for 5 hours with a 40 pound pack at a 13 degree incline?

When you write 10' or 30', what does the little mark mean to you? Feet? Miles?

Also, just to make sure I'm reading this right, you're walking on the treadmill for 5 hours with a 40 pound pack at a 13 degree incline?
The ‘ means minutes, so 10’ would be 10 minutes and 35’ would be 35 minutes.

I bought one of those cheap manual treadmills for 80 bucks on eBay and every Saturday I do 3-5 hours at around 3-4mph.

The ‘ means minutes, so 10’ would be 10 minutes and 35’ would be 35 minutes.

I bought one of those cheap manual treadmills for 80 bucks on eBay and every Saturday I do 3-5 hours at around 3-4mph.
Ah, makes sense. Sorry if my questions came off as dense. Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion man. I’m actually trying a slightly unorthodox method of training. I crawl for 2 minutes and then do 5x10 kettlebell Swings alternating hands, and then 5 sets of Turkish Getups. I do this 5x a week and then ruck or run slow without weight for 30 minutes.

The goal is 10 minutes of crawling, 60 minutes of kettlebell Swings then 5 sets of Turkish Getups 5x a week. Run 60 minutes 4x alternating days a week. Ruck 3 hours 1x week. Do that for about 6 months.

Then do a 12 week MARSOC or SF peaking plan.

I used to do a lot of CrossFit back in the day - I even used to double CrossFit workouts and then me and my team would get thrashed in the pool that afternoon, but since I found out about this new sort of Anti-CrossFit I was hooked. I feel much better and I have more energy in the tank. It seems to work for me in my stage of life now.

Thanks for the suggestion man. I’m actually trying a slightly unorthodox method of training. I crawl for 2 minutes and then do 5x10 kettlebell Swings alternating hands, and then 5 sets of Turkish Getups. I do this 5x a week and then ruck or run slow without weight for 30 minutes.

The goal is 10 minutes of crawling, 60 minutes of kettlebell Swings then 5 sets of Turkish Getups 5x a week. Run 60 minutes 4x alternating days a week. Ruck 3 hours 1x week. Do that for about 6 months.

Then do a 12 week MARSOC or SF peaking plan.

I used to do a lot of CrossFit back in the day - I even used to double CrossFit workouts and then me and my team would get thrashed in the pool that afternoon, but since I found out about this new sort of Anti-CrossFit I was hooked. I feel much better and I have more energy in the tank. It seems to work for me in my stage of life now.
The only problem I think you’ll have is the relatively low volume of running you’re doing in comparison to the higher volumes at SFAS. SFAS is well over 25 miles per week of time trials alone, not including rucks. Everything (physical) is heavily based on you’re muscles endurance and their ability to recover night by night. For RASP, quite a few guys have failed the last PT test by not being able to do enough pushups. So beware of these issues and good luck on you’re journey.

For RASP, quite a few guys have failed the last PT test by not being able to do enough pushups. So beware of these issues and good luck on you’re journey.
Also, what exactly is are your pt score’s looking like now?
@Zulio6 - you mean well, but at 15 you do not have the military experience, much less RASP experience to be offering advice in a Special Ops Selection thread. Let those with the Green Tags handle that.

Please and thank you.

Right now I’m just building a base of endurance and fitness. The 30 minute run will increase to 60 minutes. Same with the kettlebell ballistics- I’ll increase that to 60 minutes as well. I’m not in the Marines anymore so I’m not having to test myself for PFT standards. After 6-12 months I’ll do more specialized SF training like pushups, pull-ups, sprints, loaded carries etc.

Back