Former Dallas PD officer indicted for murder.

Diamondback 2/2

Infantry
Verified Military
SSMP
Military Mentor
White officer indicted for murder in killing of black man
White officer indicted for murder in killing of black man

Kind of shocked the grand jury elevated the indictment to murder. Manslaughter, seemed right from what I've read about the case, but murder? I mean she straight killed dude, no doubt, but she thought she was in her apartment at night, gave commands before fire g her weapon... That sounds a lot more like manslaughter than murder, to me.

Texas Penal Code 19.04 – Manslaughter
Current as of: 2018

(a) A person commits an offense if he recklessly causes the death of an individual.
(b) An offense under this section is a felony of the second degree.

Sec. 19.02. MURDER. (a) In this section:

(1) "Adequate cause" means cause that would commonly produce a degree of anger, rage, resentment, or terror in a person of ordinary temper, sufficient to render the mind incapable of cool reflection.

(2) "Sudden passion" means passion directly caused by and arising out of provocation by the individual killed or another acting with the person killed which passion arises at the time of the offense and is not solely the result of former provocation

(b) A person commits an offense if he:

(1) intentionally or knowingly causes the death of an individual;

(2) intends to cause serious bodily injury and commits an act clearly dangerous to human life that causes the death of an individual; or

(3) commits or attempts to commit a felony, other than manslaughter, and in the course of and in furtherance of the commission or attempt, or in immediate flight from the commission or attempt, he commits or attempts to commit an act clearly dangerous to human life that causes

I live in Dallas and have been following this in the news....after the arrest there is zero information coming out about it in the media. Which means to me that there is a lot more to this case than what she said.

My money is on that they were in some type of relationship, lovers or friends, and it went bad and came to a head that night.

But, just because she was indicted on the murder charge, doesn't mean it can't be dropped down to manslaughter at trail or plea. I am curious what was brought forward as evidence to the grand jury to support the murder charge.

Kind of shocked the grand jury elevated the indictment to murder. Manslaughter, seemed right from what I've read about the case, but murder? I mean she straight killed dude, no doubt, but she thought she was in her apartment at night, gave commands before fire g her weapon... That sounds a lot more like manslaughter than murder, to me.

All of that is just her testimony; aside from her statements, nothing else has been released.

I remember when the story first broke, there were neighbors who told news sources the heard loud banging and a woman yelling "let me in" prior to gunshots.

I'm guessing either witness statements or the actual crime scene (IE, he was shot near the door as opposed to further in the apartment) probably goes against her claims.

I wasn't aware of the possible relationship angle. That would definitely change things, I remember when the story broke, there was the big "white officers kills black man in home" media tilt to the story and the "outrage" of the community of all of 20 people... Kinda thought that might be the influence of the elevated charge.

Either way, chick needs to go to the hoosegow for killing dude. Just unusual to see high profile case like that with a elevated indictment over the prosecutions presented case. I've heard it the other way, of indictment of lessor offense, but rare to see it elevated.

This case has been a strange one, especially with the lack of info being released....since the Texas Rangers took over the investigation (at DPD request), they have released very little information and hard for the Dallas based groups to politically force the state to release info.

At the time of her arrest, they went with a lesser charge probably based of what probable cause they had at the time. In Texas you have to indict an arrested person within 90 days, there were almost to that time and apparently the investigation revealed enough evidence to support the charge of Murder...we shall see. Personally, they must have what they need to support the charge, too risky to have the case be found not guilty at trial with a high profile case as this.

EDIT: Just saw the story played on Dateline news about the Murder indictment.

Last edited:
Back