Fresh roasted coffee, gear advice, etc

poison

Business
Admin approved.

I'm a nano-roaster in Los Angeles. I buy the best coffees in the world, roast them in 6lb batches or less to order, and send them out by usps priority mail.

If you have questions on brewing, gear, which machine or gender to buy, I can answer and save you a lot of time, money, and hassle. I don't sell gear, so don't think I'm trying to make a sale on that. Ask away!

For the next month, coupon code ShadowSpear gives you 20 percent off all coffees.

www.westcoastroasting.com
www.facebook.com/westcoastroasting

Last edited:
Hmmm...this could turn out to be one of my favorite threads on the site...two initial questions:

What are your thoughts on french press? I typically purchase one of Starbucks premium blends (currently I am doing Papa New Guinea) and have it ground for French Press. Yes, I know I should be using my own burr grinder, it broke and I have not replaced yet. Typically I use 5 tablespoons of coffee in the french press, pour in water temped to a mild simmer, stir the grounds with a wooden spoon, and steep for about 4 minutes. Tips/thoughts/recommendations?

Question Part 2 - I've always used a glass french-press, bought a stainless steel one on Amazon, but some dill-weed wrote a review about them scraping metal bits every-time you press, so now I'm afraid to use it. Thing was expensive, too.

I will personally vouch for the outstanding taste of the Colombian I ordered.... I will order more.

@Ooh-Rah - Starbucks? really? :-oO_o:wall:

No Comparison in the quality of roast for the beans, WCR is a much more subtle and consistent roast and bean quality. the Colombian I got is a medium/medium light roast, for a French Press I would go with a dark/mediumdark roast to have touch more oil in the brew.

Ooh-rah, I'll respond in a bit. Having my birthday lunch with the family!

French press brewing:https://www.sweetmarias.com/brewinstr/brewinginstr.frenchpress.php

Main things are to use good fresh coffee, grind fresh, use good water at 205 or so, and steep for 3.5-4 minutes.

I wouldn't worry about the steel on steel, plenty are made that way, and the spring isn't strong enough to cause gouging.

As far as grinders, buy a Baratza encode. If you can't afford it, buy a hario mini mill. It's manual, but does a good job.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will personally vouch for the outstanding taste of the Colombian I ordered.... I will order more.

No Comparison in the quality of roast for the beans, WCR is a much more subtle and consistent roast and bean quality. the Colombian I got is a medium/medium light roast, for a French Press I would go with a dark/mediumdark roast to have touch more oil in the brew.
Glad this is a coffee thread, otherwise I'd question your use of Colombian:hmm:

Thanks. The 55 is good fOr that.

Do you hipsters have moustaches and old-timey typewriters you're writing your posts on, too? And then sending it as a letter to the admin.

Back