From Really POG to Super POG: One Guy's Epic Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

is friday

I'm a professional.
Verified Military
Good morn/afternoon/evenin gents,

I'll give you guys the short version....

I was in the USAF. I got kicked outta the USAF for being a turd. I felt like a turd and wanted to rejoin. The USAF wasn't taking my kind of rejoin. I went and tried out the Marine recruiter. He jumped onto the coffee table with my DD214 and read (screamed) the reasons for my discharge from the USAF and knife handed me, then asking why I thought I was good enough to join his Marine Corps. I was inspired.

I became a Marine and ended up with a job I didn't like too much. That's okay. I spent my time in and ended up putting in for MARSOC. I went to A&S back in January/February of this year. I made it all the way through and was told I was a "non-select". Needless to say I put in another package after taking some time to re-evaluate where I went wrong.

I was definitely inspired by the cadre during the prep course and especially by the Marines I met during my time in both the prep and actual selection portion. Hands down--best Marines I've ever met and don't think I can stay in the MAGTF after seeing the high caliber personnel SOCOM attracts.

I'm awaiting final say on my package but it's down the pipeline and I should be going to the September/October A&S in Stone Bay + undisclosed location, (don't remember if I'm allowed to discuss where A&S actually takes place. Probably not.)

I was counseled and told a couple ways I could improve, which I believe had more to do with me making some mistakes. However, my fitness was one thing that I screwed the pooch on by showing up with a couple of deficiencies that I mean to correct.

1.) My pullups. (15)
2.) My swim. (11:45)

I just started up my prep once again. I've got approximately 15 weeks to get myself into awesome shape. What I am doing as of right now, and what I plan on doing in the future:

A&S Prep guide Weeks 1-10. Crossfit's WOD on Monday/Wednesday, too. Whatever I have going on with MCMAP, (I'm an instructor.)

After I finish the prep guide to Week 10 I was going to flip over to Week 4 or 5 and get to week 8-9 before showing up to A&S Prep Course once again. Also, the second time through the Prep Guide I wanted to up my intensity obviously and strive for even better times with swim/hike/short card.

On Saturdays especially I end up conducting quite a bit of endurance-related training because of my MCMAP courses. I don't have the time of day to be taking hours during work to teach Marines so I conduct my courses before/after work, to include a few hours on Saturday. Generally, I have to fight a lot (weapons/sparring/grappling,) and run around in a combat load.

I just swam for time today and ended up getting something like 13mikes in cammies--so I haven't dropped that much time since I was at the A&S prep course back in January. Considering that I showed up there with a 15+ mike swim and dropped it down to 11:45 I'm fairly confident that I can achieve even greater results with how much time I have. In my free hours while I was at the prep course I ended up going to the pool every chance I got and dropped almost 4 minutes off my time in 3 weeks, so I know I can do it.

I was a little better than the average bear for hike times, so I'm not worried about that. I know that I can show up in even better shape this time if I up my intensity at a gradual pace, though.

One of my fears is over-training, and I'm posting my schedule to kind of put feelers out amongst the community. I'm very welcome to suggestions from the pros and if anyone is going out there at the same time as me to share their training strategies.

I'm not sure what kind of response you are looking for, but you must be a masochist. I'm having a hard time getting past the "got kicked out of a branch of service for being a turd" thing. You sure you really want to lay all this out in a Special Operations forum? What kind of responses do you think your story will get amongst the Special Operations community? My reply is probably going to be one of the nicer and more "understanding" replies.

"I was in the USAF. I got kicked outta the USAF for being a turd. I felt like a turd and wanted to rejoin.

You let them down, failed to live up to your commitment, then felt like a turd, and wanted to "rejoin" eh? I can tell you this - if someone got kicked out of a Special Operations unit for "being a turd" chances are slim to NONE that they would ever be allowed back in.

The USAF wasn't taking my kind of rejoin. I went and tried out the Marine recruiter. He jumped onto the coffee table with my DD214 and read (screamed) the reasons for my discharge from the USAF and knife handed me, then asking why I thought I was good enough to join his Marine Corps. I was inspired."

Kicked out of the Air Force? "For being a turd"? How in the hell did you accomplish that feat of disgrace? Seriously though, getting kicked out of any branch of service for "being a turd" doesn't bode well.

Care to specify the details regarding your discharge? Not that it matters much since you got kicked out of a branch of service. Excuses are like assholes. Being discharged for "being a turd" is not a snap decision by the military. Either you did something very wrong, or after much effort, counseling, and trying to square you away - they gave up and decided you were wasting their time. Hell, a service member can get one, two, or probably three article 15's and all kinds of other admin and non-judicial punishment and STILL not get "kicked out" of a branch of service.

Obviously there are HIGHLY skilled, highly squared away, highly professional people in the Air Force and the US Air Force is one to be proud of. I'm surprised any branch of service would take you after being kicked out of another for "being a turd".

"I became a Marine and ended up with a job I didn't like too much."

Kicked out of the USAF, somehow got the Marines to accept you (WTF Marines?) and now you are still not liking your position in life in the military. Are you starting to get the picture here? Are you starting to see a pattern? Maybe YOU are the problem and not the military.

That's okay. I spent my time in and ended up putting in for MARSOC. I went to A&S back in January/February of this year. I made it all the way through and was told I was a "non-select".

And the hit's just keep on coming...

"Needless to say I put in another package after taking some time to re-evaluate where I went wrong."

You seem to be muddling your way through life, but at least you keep trying, I suppose. Get your shit together. Don't expect to be coddled or that things are going to be YOUR way.

"I'm awaiting final say on my package but it's down the pipeline and I should be going to the September/October A&S in Stone Bay + undisclosed location, (don't remember if I'm allowed to discuss where A&S actually takes place. Probably not.)"

NEVER forget what you are not allowed to talk about. If you can't remember that, then it paints a picture that ties in with your other issues. How can you be trusted in highly classified operations if you can't even remember whether or not you are supposed to talk about a "basic training" / selection site?

You describe yourself as originally being a "POG", and now you are a "Super POG". That's a laugh a minute until you tie it in with the fact that you got kicked out of the Air Force for "being a turd" as you describe. Suddenly it's not so funny. Suddenly it starts to develop a personality profile on you.

See, right there you already are sending all kinds of signals. What do you think a Special Operations NCO or Officer evaluating you in a selection is going to think of that? If it was me, that would be grounds right there for disqualification for Special Operations. Special Operations does it's level best to keep out the flakes. Plenty of us were squared away from the get-go as privates and Jr Officers and worked our way up through the Infantry or other MOS's - always keeping our shit together. Always trying to be the best at whatever it was we were doing. You seem to still be struggling with the basics. Hell I thought I was pretty squared away until I got into Special Forces and was surrounded by "superstars".

Do you think you come across as mature or immature? Dependable or a flake? Maybe you still have some growing up to do.

If you want to be SOCOM material, the first thing you have to do is decide you are a squared away motherfucker and not a POG. Until that happens in your life, I forsee the same cycle of problems and issues for you. My two cents, prove me wrong by doing it and making it happen - not sitting here flapping your gums. I would keep all that "I got kicked out of the military for being a turd" quiet. Word will get around on you if you don't maintain PERSEC on that. Getting kicked out of the military for unsuitability or whatever it is your problem was - is not funny in my opinion.

BTW, we used to spell it "Pouge". The Canadians spell it POG. I guess the newer generation spells it POG now.

Well I'm done with you. I'll let the Marine Special Operations guys tell you the real deal here. You are THEIR problem child - at the moment.

We take a lot of boys with rough pasts and turn them into men of character. A lot of my best Marines had failed at some earlier endeavor or had made some sort of mistake that haunted them. A man who has been knocked down oftentimes will work twice as hard to get back on his feet. When I was a rifle platoon commander I was given former criminals, Marines who had received numerous Non-Judicial Punishments or Courts Martial. My platoon sergeant and I trained them until their backs almost gave out and their feet burned but by the time we got to Baghdad I wouldn't have asked for any other Marines. Marines who have something to prove will usually out perform the Marines who have always succeeded at everything they have attempted.

Now he's got something to prove! :D Prove to the world that he's not a "POG Turd" as he self-describes. If someone describes themselves as a POG and turd, I will typically agree with them. Especially if their military history to date seems to back up their assertion.

...entire post...

Let me get some admin notes out of the way. What is the purpose of your post? Do you want some people that have been through a selection before help you in some way? Training? Nutrition? Military bearing? Advice? I actually scanned the entire paragraph and didn't see a question mark, so I don't have an answer to a question I wasn't asked. You posted in the SOF Mentor Section, which was good, but I don't see it in the "first post" thread, which is the appropriate place. Pay attention. Follow simple instructions. This is not advice; it's something that you should be able to do as a grown man and a requirement for posting on this site. Moving on.

If you got kicked out of the AF, for whatever reason, that's behind you. Press on. I am glad you got into the Marines, but it seems as if they took a chance. Whatever the issue was, don't do it again. It's not "forgive and forget" but more "acquiesce and press forward". Own your mistakes, but framing those mistakes later on can save you a little ass pain- e.g., not saying you got kicked out of the AF for "being a turd", or describing your future unit as a place for "Super Pogs". If this post was going to work it's way into the hands of your instructors would you have said that? News flash, man- it most likely already has. Do you have any clue what sheer hell I would inflict upon a future hopeful that described my team as somewhere for "Super POGs"? Bottom line, you can turn a corner despite some huge screwups, but it isn't likely, as I think Pistol was getting at. I would say you have your work cut out for you.

Other than that, I will go the more positive route here. It took me more than one selection to be a PJ. There were plenty of times that I thought it wasn't going to work out. Fix yourself. Immediately. Be open to criticism without being all sad clown/poo poo face about things. Be a damn grown ass man, and start being the guy you want to be now, not when you graduate your course. Conduct yourself as the professional operator you want to be right this second, and act like you have been there before. Be quiet, put out at all times, and listen to those that know better.

And come up with a question and post in the correct forum next time.

Yeah I haven't responded because you did not post an introduction in the right place. Until you do so you are not welcome to post in this sub-forum.

"We ain't making no goddamn cornflakes here."
Col. Charlie Beckwith, founder of Delta Force

"Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War

"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."
- Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
- George Orwell

After going ashore he went looking for Darby. Approaching one member in a Ranger uniform, he asked his usual question, 'Do you know where I can find Col. Darby?'
A slow grin crossed the face of the husky soldier as he answered, "You'll never find him this far back."
- We Led the Way: Darby's Rangers

I just want to make it clear, I have nothing but praise for the USAF and Marines, have worked with them, count them among my friends and have been to their schools.

Those who are in recruiting for ALL branches of service are the gatekeepers and control who gets in and who doesn't. Not the entire branch of service. We all know about the recruiters who are falling behind in quota's and do some pretty stupid things. And every once in awhile we get a service member who makes a news headline because of it. Fort Hood comes to mind as one example where recruiting was too lax and failed us all due in part to political correctness no doubt.

In my personal opinion, no one who was bounced out of any branch of service for discipline or compatibility problems should be accepted by any other branch and if I was supreme dictator that's the way it would be. My problem with self titled POG is that he admitted he can't even remember basic, simple OPSEC for starters. And that's Special Ops material? To me this shows a severe lack of attention to detail and a flippant attitude towards the serious nature of OPSEC and military matters in general. I think a sharp Marine in MARSOC will likely pick up on this and keep an eye out as was pointed out by amlove21. They are going to need to get the microscope out on this guy IMO. Hey, if he makes it through, comes back, gets verified, then he can dish it back out to me.

Is Friday, you are United States Marine……..Be fucking proud of that and STFU about the Pouge stuff….Be the best Marine you can and keep working towards your goal.

Pistol Pete, you have some impressive creds and I look forward to learning from your wealth of knowledge (I have a lot of respect for your service sir). However, Is Friday’s mistakes and or stupidity are in the past and he is currently serving as a Untied States Marine. He may or may not be MARSOC/SOF material (not my lane) but I don’t see how questioning his current service based on his past mistakes is beneficial. Also, if the USMC has given him a second chance in military service, and he is currently serving honorably I think we can all give him and his branch of service the respect they deserve…..Even if he started this thread with his head up his ass.

So now I'll STFU and get out of ya'lls mentor program.:thumbsup:;)

Is Friday, you are United States Marine……..Be fucking proud of that and STFU about the Pouge stuff….Be the best Marine you can and keep working towards your goal.

Pistol Pete, you have some impressive creds and I look forward to learning from your wealth of knowledge (I have a lot of respect for your service sir). However, Is Friday’s mistakes and or stupidity are in the past and he is currently serving as a Untied States Marine. He may or may not be MARSOC/SOF material (not my lane) but I don’t see how questioning his current service based on his past mistakes is beneficial. Also, if the USMC has given him a second chance in military service, and he is currently serving honorably I think we can all give him and his branch of service the respect they deserve…..Even if he started this thread with his head up his ass.

So now I'll STFU and get out of ya'lls mentor program.:thumbsup:;)

I agree and as was said in the beginning of this sub-forum, dog-piling is to me at least, unacceptable. With that, I do not expect anything more than a simple azimuth correction and someone to move on. I do not want this to be like other sites where dudes are afraid to ask questions. If dudes are afraid to even ask questions this is a stupid forum. However stupid posts are stupid posts.

So that this doesn't escalate into something non-productive:

1) Is Friday, back up one level to the Mentor subforum and find the "First Post" thread started by cback. Read all 4 pages and then make your post.
2) You're on the right path, but I think you can see by the earlier responses that your azimuth needs a little adjusting. I won't point out the "how" and "why" or the "what next" but I think you can see what needs tweaking.
3) With those two done, start another thread with your slightly revised azimuth. Anything other than constructive criticism will see me "take a bite out of crime" like McGruff.
4) Good luck
5) Dead bolted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back