Ft.Bragg

TLDR20

Verified SOF
Ft.Bragg’sname is apparently being changed to Ft.Liberty. Anyone else hearing this?

I think this is a huge missed opportunity, it could have been so much better than this. “Shughart” “Zabitowski” “Benavidez” would have been awesome.

I am totally ok with renaming bases named after losers. But this new name is lame af.

Last edited:
Yes. I was waiting for one of you SF guys to post about this; the decision is not yet final from what I’ve been able to read so far.
Not being Army I should not have an emotional attachment to the name Bragg, but it’s been part of my lexicon since the first Rambo movie came out. Admittedly I don’t know the history of General Bragg of the Confederacy, but does his being born in the South and fighting for that side automatically make him a demon?

At some point don’t institutional names become more than the person they were named for? It is difficult to imagine anything related to Army SF not being tied to “Bragg”.

Yes. I was waiting for one of you SF guys to post about this; the decision is not yet final from what I’ve been able to read so far.
Not being Army I should not have an emotional attachment to the name Bragg, but it’s been part of my lexicon since the first Rambo movie came out. Admittedly I don’t know the history of General Bragg of the Confederacy, but does his being born in the South and fighting for that side automatically make him a demon?

At some point don’t institutional names become more than the person they were named for? It is difficult to imagine anything related to Army SF not being tied to “Bragg”.

I’m all for a change and still can’t imagine it not being “Bragg”

The rumor is that Ft Hood will be changed to Ft Benavidez. Seems kinda odd, but I'm all for the change. I think MSG Benavidez, should be recognized. He was a badass, and even after retirement devoted his life to keeping kids in school and off drugs. I was fortunate enough to meet him twice before he passed away.

The rumor is that Ft Hood will be changed to Ft Benavidez. Seems kinda odd, but I'm all for the change. I think MSG Benavidez, should be recognized. He was a badass, and even after retirement devoted his life to keeping kids in school and off drugs. I was fortunate enough to meet him twice before he passed away.

I’m hopeful one of the bases is named after him. It is deserved.

Bragg should be Howard
Gordon could easily be Shughart-Gordon
Hood for Benavidez
Benning could go Murphy or Cashe

Nosovel and Gregg-Adams for Rucker/Lee make sense, given the fact that the proposed new names had careers in aviation or quartermaster logisitics at least.

Walker, Johnson, and Barefoot are all decent enough.

Bragg should be Howard
Gordon could easily be Shughart-Gordon
Hood for Benavidez
Benning could go Murphy or Cashe

Nosovel and Gregg-Adams for Rucker/Lee make sense, given the fact that the proposed new names had careers in aviation or quartermaster logisitics at least.

Walker, Johnson, and Barefoot are all decent enough.

I really like Cashe for Benning, that would be very cool.

Braxton Bragg was not one of America's great generals. Regardless of the new stigma of the Confederacy (having been revised as the Nazis of their time) his career was underwhelming. So no great loss for a fort name.

But Liberty? That took all of four seconds to think up.

I'd pick Fort William O. Darby.

Back