Ft.Bragg

I take it Ft Hood is the Army's 29 Stumps?
That’s for sure.

GEN. John Bell Hood actually sucked worse that Braxton Bragg. Fort Hood has managed to embody the man’s soul-crushing culture of ineptitude, failure, and disregard for human life for decades. I think whoever first named the installation did it out of spite.

Ft.Bragg’sname is apparently being changed to Ft.Liberty. Anyone else hearing this?

I think this is a huge missed opportunity, it could have been so much better than this. “Shughart” “Zabitowski” “Benavidez” would have been awesome.

I am totally ok with renaming bases named after losers. But this new name is lame af.
Heard they were looking at MSG Benavides for the source for a post name. Agree on the missed opportunity.

That’s for sure.

GEN. John Bell Hood actually sucked worse that Braxton Bragg. Fort Hood has managed to embody the man’s soul-crushing culture of ineptitude, failure, and disregard for human life for decades. I think whoever first named the installation did it out of spite.
Concur. Was my first duty station. Best part of Fort Hood was going to Iraq right away.

Having not been in the Army or ever being there, for the life of me I do not know why I am so aware of Fort Hood.

The Navy doesn't have many really crappy bases. The Marines, one, 29 palms. But it seems like the army has a few, and that's probably because they have so many compared to the other branches. Fort Hood is one of those from what I understand.

God damn leftists and their hurt feelings. Decades upon decades, it was fine, now, some liberal cunts want to change everything. Fucking clown gay.
I did a fair amount of research when I got to Hood for my first duty station. I’m certainly no leftist, but I was truly dumbfounded as to why the United States would name a military base — the largest stateside base in square miles at the time — after a Confederate general who was an abject failure.

GEN Hood would have been considered a clusterfucking clown who needed his face fucked in by a rabid horse if the South had actually won. They lost, which made the naming convention that much more confusing. Why reward historical failure with the naming of a military installation in your so-called honor? And rest assured, there was nothing honorable about John Bell Hood. Not in defeat, and he (thankfully) had no meaningful victories to claim to his name.

That’s my opinion, though. YMMV

I'd imagine, and I am just shooting spit balls here, that given the number of bases in the south that were stood up because of the high number of southerners in Congress during that particular time (who controlled the purse strings), those congressmen were one generation away from the civil war, and these people had been ingrained into myth and folklore.

What I don't understand is of all the civil war generals, why pick the losers and the idiots? They had some really good military officers.

I'd imagine, and I am just shooting spit balls here, that given the number of bases in the south that were stood up because of the high number of southerners in Congress during that particular time (who controlled the purse strings), those congressmen were one generation away from the civil war, and these people had been ingrained into myth and folklore.

What I don't understand is of all the civil war generals, why pick the losers and the idiots? They had some really good military officers.

This right here. The Lost Cause mythology was really picking up steam too.

Not to sound all SJW and what not, but our country has a history of courting Southern money and votes regardless of the social implications. This all started back in…1775 or so when the northern of the 13 realized it needed the economy and manpower of the lower 13; slavery was pushed aside.

Back