Gardening

I am doing a raised bed this year on travel, so that's fine, I'm doing it. Why not. I'm going to label it so if I leave someone else may take it on. Who knows.

I used the Farmers almanac this morning, and I still got some time to put some seedlings in the ground, so we'll see how it works out--

In parentheses, it's the date recommended to put seedlings or transfers in the ground. Before the slash is based on frost date, after based on moon.

Here's what I choose:

Tomatoes (Apr 24-May 15 / Apr 30-May 15)
Zucchini (May 1-May 15 / May 1-15)
Tyme (Apr 17-May 8 / Apr 30 - May 8)
Sage (Apr 17-May 1 / Apr 30-May 1)
Oregano (Apr 17- May 8 / Apr 30 - May 8)
Lettuce (Apr 3 - May 1 / Apr 3-16, Apr 30-May 1)
Jalapeno Peppers (Apr 24 / May 8 Apr 30-May 8)
Eggplants (May 1-15 / May 1-15)
Celery (Apr 24-May 8 / Apr 30-May 8)
Bell Peppers (Apr 24-May 8 / Apr 30-May 8)
Cilantro (Start seeds outdoors: Apr 17-May 1 / Apr 30-May 1)

I may go track down a farmers market and buy the seeds or transfers, or just get them from a hardware store. Not sure.

I just put in the first trellis (teepee type from bamboo...there's your daily dose of cultural appropriation) for the cucumbers. One of the types didn't take from seed, so I bought that as a plant. The pickling variety, watermelon, and zucchini should all go in from seed, probably in the next week.

One tomato plant had a fungus and rather than treat it I pulled it and bought a new plant. The struggling plant from earlier is hanging in there. Kind of like an Eastern Bloc gymnast, its fate is tied to growth.

Sadly, have to return the Gardyn. I’m less than 30 days, we have had two separate issues. First issue was one of the light bars burning out with a week, second and most recent is the water pump breaking. We will be switching all plants to our Tower Garden.
Dude.
You make that sound like a pot farm. Not sayin' that's a bad thing.

Dude.
You make that sound like a pot farm. Not sayin' that's a bad thing.
Haha, it’s not far off. Both the Gardyn and the Tower Garden are hydroponic growing systems designed for in home use. I believe the Denver Airport has multiple Tower Gardens that they use to supply the restaurants inside the airport. I’m not going to tell you what to grow in it, haha.

Here's where I'm at.

My teepee trellises are in place, minus the twine needed to help things climb. Two new flower boxes in the foreground; salvia on the left and the unplanted one on the right will take a vinca. The lavender has started to bloom, the marigolds are exploding, and you can see my cucumber plants on my nearest trellis. Ignore the fence I need to clean up...
Garden042822a.jpg

The first one from this year. The 'maters are coming in though I had to replant one and another is iffy. The three zucchini are in the foreground. The center plant was near death and then two days later it might be the healthiest plant. The peppers are next, both have blooms. The basil is growing like a weed, time to trim that up. I've already caught a few butterflies sniffing around the African marigolds.
Garden042822b.jpg

Weekly update...ugh.

Tomatoes: I'm dealing with Early Blight on all 4 plants. I'm trimming affected parts, applying fungicides, watching how I water, etc. The grape tomato plant has about 12 fruit already formed plus a bunch of blooms. The other plants also have numerous flowers.

Peppers: @TLDR20 said they grew like weeds in NC, they seem to do the same in FL. Their size almost doubles from one week to the next. They are blooming all over the place.

Cukes: I am starting to wrap them around the trellis. Even the plant I thought would die is taking off. Weak in the pot doesn't mean weak in the ground.

Zucchini: Those are looking good, no issues so far, but...

Watermelon: I think I screwed up. I think I planted a watermelon seed in the zucchini pot. I planted a "zucchini" that now has leaves identical to my watermelon, so...time to problem solve I guess. The planned plant is looking good with a healthy vine, but the Supreme Court said I have to raise the other plant so, here we go. I guess I'll figure out a solution and all...

The flowers look really good. Marigolds require almost no care.

I think it is time for a solid dose of fertilizer. We could really use some rain.

You've got that nice hot and humid combo for peppers. I've got some capsicum that's kinda getting there but also not really. Otherwise just some random autumn/winter plants going. Leeks, onions, etc.

2 1/2 weeks after the last photos. I'm up to 5 jalapenos and 4 red bell peppers. 3 regular tomatoes and a bunch of grape tomatoes. Every plant has multiple blooms now. As you can see, the cucumber plants took off. The watermelon in the foreground is already about 4' in length. I think I can use the space between the flower boxes to contain the vines. Basil, like the peppers, is growing like a weed. I cut a bunch off today and the 2 plants still look like bushes. Fresh pesto time.

I think I'm fighting a slow, losing battle against tomato blight, but I should be able to get a harvest or two in.

No major bug issues. Neem oil seems to work. but I have seven dust if needed.

Super dry the last two weeks. Of course, the weekend I go to fertilize everything is the weekend it rains for 3 straight days, but I'll take the rain. Always.

As you can probably tell, the teepee trellis is working out rather well for the cucumbers. You just have to occasionally tie vines on as they grow to encourage that direction.

Attachments

• May 15a Copy.jpg
    May 15a Copy.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
Still getting asparagus, much to my surprise. Tomatoes and grapes starting to appear now.

Attachments

• IMG_20220509_180904500.jpg
    IMG_20220509_180904500.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220516_174621301.jpg
    IMG_20220516_174621301.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220509_180606331.jpg
    IMG_20220509_180606331.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
No that's Dame.

I know the way out.
Meanie. I just happen to like baby spinach.
My basil went so crazy last fall that I harvested all of it and took it to a party. Glad I did. Frost hit the next week and it all died. New basil plants this year are doing well.

Back