Gardening

Thinking of adding a sweet red pepper to the mix. Seedlings for zucchini, watermelon, and 2 types of cukes are just breaking ground in their trays. I’ll have them in the ground soon enough. I’m looking for suitable pollinators now.

In gaming there's a saying, "grab grass" or "touch grass", meaning you need to drag your ass outside and away from the computer. So, my my Grab Grass Garden update. I'm about 60% complete with the hard work behind me. 4 tomatoes (1 isn't looking good, will probably get replaced), 1 jalapeno, 1 sweet red pepper, and two basil.

I made the flower boxes out of scrap cedar planks. Their construction indicates my poor showing with tools, but they'll work. Flowers are lavender and delphinium. I have marigolds too, they are great for repelling pests, and I may add another type to encourage pollinators.

The plastic lump is leftover dirt. I have some pavers I'll put down between the two beds, knowing that grass will get chewed up anyway.

Seedlings for cukes, watermelon, and zucchini are chugging along and sprouting nicely.

I screwed up my lumber order and way underestimated what I needed, but whatever. I can fix that if needed. I'm not happy, but the garden will work. As you can see, Bayley is there to supervise the construction of her new playground; I strongly encourage her to play elsewhere.

Garden 60 -Smaller.jpg

Nice looking beds!

Thank you, but I guess me being me I'm not happy with them. Trying to level them given the slope of my yard took more of the wood than I planned and even then they aren't level...just "more leveler".

I'm a little concerned I'm packing too much into the "east" (downslope) bed, but I should be okay. For only my second garden in adulthood, I have to learn somehow. I think stakes, cages, and trellises will keep it under control, but we'll see what happens.

Don’t “overthink” it, Brother! You are a perfectionist like my son - and I used to be. Enjoy the process and the results of your work. Enjoy it. I am sure you will be successful.

Sadly, have to return the Gardyn. I’m less than 30 days, we have had two separate issues. First issue was one of the light bars burning out with a week, second and most recent is the water pump breaking. We will be switching all plants to our Tower Garden.

Back