Gearheads

Love the look of those, and they made for monster rally cars. :thumbsup:

Nice run! Excellent car control, and great equipment, and a touch of insanity is what it takes to score well. Those courses remind me of the mid 60's in Formula 1, trees and people close to the course. The Neurenberg-ring in Germany was long, fast and deadly. When driving through the forested parts of the track was the real hair raiser. The big trees were unforgiving when you hit one. It was nothing to have picture takers and gawkers right on the edge of the track, or stepping back off track when a car flew by. It really helps to know the cars are equiped with air bags, and stiffened frames.

Nice run! Excellent car control, and great equipment, and a touch of insanity is what it takes to score well. Those courses remind me of the mid 60's in Formula 1, trees and people close to the course. The Neurenberg-ring in Germany was long, fast and deadly. When driving through the forested parts of the track was the real hair raiser. The big trees were unforgiving when you hit one. It was nothing to have picture takers and gawkers right on the edge of the track, or stepping back off track when a car flew by. It really helps to know the cars are equiped with air bags, and stiffened frames.

F1 does take the cake for ragged edge of driving insanity - I'd go with late 80s/ early 90s Ayrton Senna at Monaco.

I've been a Mopar fan forever. My first was a 1970 Dodge Charger R/T. Next was a 1971 Dodge Demon 340. I currently own a 2005 Dodge Magnum R/T Hemi Interceptor with a little over 60,000 miles.

I guess, a lot of us, all have "That one"....that one ride or bike, we gave up for sake of a relationship. My favorite was the one below I had to give up after being pressured 2 weeks straight, 24/7, so I could buy a home with 8 months left in AK. :rolleyes:

scan00042.jpg

1965 Plymouth Barracuda. Picture taken a week prior to installation of the roll cage.

Engine: 340 .030 over, 12:5-1 compression, Sig Erson Roller Cam, Comp Cam SS valves, triple valve springs, titanium retainers, keepers, Sig Erson Roller rockers, W-2 Heads, ARP cylinder head studs, Edelbrock W-2 Intake, Forged knife edged crank, Milodon 4 bolt caps, Clevite bearings, Direct Connection SS connecting rods, Full floating wrist pins, ARP rod bolts and nuts, Moroso windage tray and oil pan, Melling hi volume oil pump, Cloyes double roller timing chain. The entire rotating assembly was balanced. Block was deburred and magnafluxed. Topped off with a single 1050 Holley Dominator and Mallory Distributor. Ran Sunoco 101 octane w/a Stewart Warner hi performance electric fuel pump.

Body: Stock with a Harwood snorkel scoop. Midnight metallic blue lacquer paint job. Body was laser straight. Chrome was mint - no pitting, rust or dents. Autometer tach, rev control, Stewart Warner gauges.

Chassis: 90/10 Monroe shocks up front, 50/50 out back with S/S springs, 10 pt roll cage, Sub frame connectors

Drive train - Chrysler 4 speed crash box, Mr. Gasket vertigate shifter, Hurst Line Loc (Roll control) , Hayes clutch, disc and flywheel, Lakewood Scattershield and drive shaft loop, narrowed 9 in Ford rear axle, Detroit locker, 4:88 gearing, Strange axles, custom aluminum driveshaft, Cragar S/S rims.

Damn. After all these years and I still remember every nut, bolt and screw on the damn thing. Sure was fun writing all this down and reminiscing. All I know is this, the next one I do, I'm keeping.......come hell or hi water.

Last edited:
@Centermass , I would hate your post because you got rid of that sweet Mopar but understand about needing the funds. I've had to make a case for keeping the Nova more than once.

Guessing somewhere in the 10.00s in the 1/4?

This begs the question - what will be the next one? A couple years later model, maybe? :-"

44top.jpg

Where do you live? Looks beautiful.
That was in Colorado going over Wolf Creek Pass... for the 2nd time in 24 hours. I drove it at night when it was iced and snowing. My trainer drove it the next day as we had to deliver south when I drove, then head for a pickup north when he drove. We opted for a longer route avoiding it (as our shortest return route once loaded would have sent us back over) to avoid three strikes against mother nature.

Nice Rig. Do you use the semi rig, or is it a different rig each time?

It'll be the same truck all the time.
View attachment 15367 View attachment 15368
Looks like we have something in common ;-)

Except I'm jealous of you for having Kenworths to run :) Planning on owning outright a customized T660 in 4-5 years... saving up the dosh once the Jeep is paid off.

You don't like the internationals? I ran the 4700s for a few years. The trannies were trash. But otherwise they were work horses

The interior is adequate for fleet purposes, as is everything else about the truck, but the underlying comfort factor as well as innate features that Kenworth has standard make it my first and probably only choice for once I go o/o.

The interior is adequate for fleet purposes, as is everything else about the truck, but the underlying comfort factor as well as innate features that Kenworth has standard make it my first and probably only choice for once I go o/o.
I see your point there. Bare minimum. Not a peterbuilt fan?

Peterbilt doesn't have a stock studio sleeper, on anything I've seen.

My whole concept is to get a studio sleeper stock from a manufacturer where I can have a couch in the back... that has seat belts, so I can mule the whole family around a smidge while running freight for summer vacation. Free travel, basically. Tell the company to give me some "slow" loads and take advantage of the time within reason.

Plus I drove some Kenworths in the fire department so I have a bit of an affinity for them. Just going through all the options out the gate, I really like what I'd be getting with a Kenworth versus the rest.

Peterbilt doesn't have a stock studio sleeper, on anything I've seen.

My whole concept is to get a studio sleeper stock from a manufacturer where I can have a couch in the back... that has seat belts, so I can mule the whole family around a smidge while running freight for summer vacation. Free travel, basically. Tell the company to give me some "slow" loads and take advantage of the time within reason.

Plus I drove some Kenworths in the fire department so I have a bit of an affinity for them. Just going through all the options out the gate, I really like what I'd be getting with a Kenworth versus the rest.
Ya I see your point. bang for your buck, Kenworth is where you would want to be I suppose. I haven't had any experience with volvos or any other smaller brands.

@Centermass , I would hate your post because you got rid of that sweet Mopar but understand about needing the funds. I've had to make a case for keeping the Nova more than once.

Guessing somewhere in the 10.00s in the 1/4?

Took it down Bradenton Raceway and ran it exactly as it would be in street form - no slicks, capped up. With no adjustments to either the engine (Timing, fuel management or suspension) it ran a low 11 as in 11.04 secs. Tires spun through all 4 gears and I had my hands full keeping it straight. With a timing adjustment, possible re-jet of the Dominator, slicks and the headers uncorked, it would have been a mid to hi 9 second runner. Did that anyway as a Saturday night street machine. Made a lot of my money back with it long before Street Outlaws ever appeared on the Discovery Channel.

This begs the question - what will be the next one? A couple years later model, maybe? :-"

The newer Barracuda's (Like the one you have pictured) were beasts in their own right with engine options from the 340, 383, on up to the 426 Hemi from the factory. If I ever do another, it will still be another 65, hands down. I loved that damn thing.

@Red Flag 1 , I had a canary yellow '73 MG Midget, the last year they had the chrome bumpers. They went to black plastic in '74. Great little car. My dad also had a sports car, a red 61' Austin Healy Sprite.

This is my rig now, a 2011 F350 flatbed dually 6.7 turbo diesel, 400 hp. It got recalled for a data upgrade and now it's 401 HP 8-). Pic taken at Clearwater CGAS.

IMG_1125_zps6e28410b.jpg

Last edited:
Back