GI Bill, Green to Gold, and Other Education Opportunities

Hmmm... I was ineligible for the MGIB because I went to college on an ROTC scholarship, but I'm fully eligible for the 9/11 benefits. Try Googling "SLRP and Post 9/11 GI Bill" and see if that helps.

It absolutely did, I've been getting mixed information for the past 2 years about this but here it is:
Service members who enlisted under the student loan repayment plan (SLRP) qualify for Chapter 33 (the new, post-9/11 GI Bill). However, the initial three years of service do not count toward Chapter 33 eligibility. For example, a service member who took SLRP and served 5 years of active duty service would have 2 years of qualifying service toward Chapter 33 benefits (80% rate). Reenlistment student loan repayment programs do not affect GI Bill benefits.

The first 3 years of my service are spent on the SLRP, however, the rest of the active duty enlistment (for me its 1 year 19 weeks) would count for the Post 9/11 GI bill at somewhere around the rate of 65% Tuition, Fees, Books and BAH.

Thanks Marauder06, that was extremely helpful.

Lesson learned, point made, huh Mr. BTDT?? :D

lol, no not at all. No lesson here, just trying to help get a guy pointed in the right direction. I know how frustrating it can be to try to find stuff out when it comes to the military.

This was sent to me by a friend of mine here at school who happens to also be a former Ranger. If you young hooahs are getting out of the service and are looking at going to college fulltime, you really need to think about Yale. Between the Yellow Ribbon Program, GI Bill, and Yale's Eli Whitney program, if you have the grades, the motivation, and the life experiences, going to Yale is a no-brainer.

/////

All,

Today, Yale signed a new contract with the US Government that significantly
increases Yale's contribution to the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

The Yellow Ribbon Program is a way that private universities can make their
schools more affordable under the Post-9/11 GI Bill by making a contribution to
an individual veteran that is matched by the government 1:1 (Public schools
are,
basically, tuition free for veterans who are on 100% the GI Bill).

Every veteran who is 100% on the Post-9/11 GI Bill is eligible for the Yellow
Ribbon Program. Some veterans are on a less than 100% GI Bill stipend, or no GI
Bill at all, primarily because full funding on the Post-9/11 GI Bill requires 36
months of service after one "pays back" the five years of service incurred after
attending a service academy (West Point, Annapolis, etc.) or the four years of
service one incurs for taking a ROTC scholarship. So, if a veteran serves less
than 36 months they receive a percentage of GI Bill benefits (90%, 80%, etc.)
with no Yellow Ribbon.

Before today, Yale offered 50 Yellow Ribbon slots at $5,000 a piece. So,
veterans who were 100% on the Post-9/11 GI Bill received a base payment of
$17,500, plus $5,000 from Yale, plus $5,000 in matching funds from the US
Government for a total of $27,500 against the cost of Yale's tuition. Veterans
on who are %100 on the GI Bill receive 36 months (4 academic years) of funding.
In many schools at Yale, this did not cover the total cost of tuition, and the
number of veterans eligible for the Yellow Ribbon was capped, Yale wide, at 50.
Meaning, the 51st veteran would not recieve Yellow Ribbon funding.

The Yellow Ribbon numbers are an important signaling device to veterans who
intend to apply to a school, because a veteran who is 100% on the GI Bill looks
at the Yellow Ribbon numbers on the Department of Veterans Affairs website to
see what schools will cause them to incur the lowest amount of debt. The better
the
Yellow Ribbon numbers, the more visible a school's commitment to veterans.

So,

Yale had 50 Yellow Ribbon slots in a university-wide pot at $5,000 a piece.

School Amount Number of Slots
Yale University $5,000 50

Now, the Yellow Ribbon slots have been broken up over the specific Yale schools
and some Yellow Ribbon contributions have been increased to meet the full cost
of tution:

School Amount Number of Slots
Yale College $5,000 Unlimited Number
Architecture $5,000 5
Art $5,000 5
Divinity $99,999 (=Full Tuition) 3
Drama $5,000 5
Engineering/App. Sci Same as College/GSAS -
GSAS $9,000 (=Full Tuition) Unlimited Number
Forestry $7,500 3
Law $5,000 Unlimited Number
Management $10,000 Unlimited Number
Medicine $5,000 Unlimited Number
Music $5,000 5
Nursing $5,000 5
Public Health $5,000 2

As I said, the numbers are a signaling device and, with hope, they will signal
that a veteran should strongly consider applying to Yale. That being said,
Yale, circa 2012, is a special place for veterans. The community that exists
here, across the schools, is a tight, well-supported network. Within that
community, veterans are known by their names, their interests and, most
importantly, their contributions to Yale. At Yale, no one is a number, and
veterans are swept into a vital conversation. The conversation, in substance,
is about the future of this republic (artistic, political, economic,
academic...). I think that this conversation is interdisciplinary and
inter-professional and, while it might be occurring at other institutions, I
think it is most robust, here and now, at Yale.

Thank you for your support. John Perez (President of the Yale Veterans
Association), Josh Ray (VP, Yale Veterans Association), Andrew Crawford
(Co-President Yale Law Veterans) and I (Representative, Graduate Student
Assembly 2011-2012) are happy to share the good news, and single out the
contributions and consideration of Rich Jacob, Kara Haas, Deputy Provost J.
Lloyd Suttle and Caesar Storlazzi.

I did this when I enlisted, I didn't take the 20k and instead took 8 plus a ACF kicker. It was a good choice!
Did the same thing but I just transferred to the post 9/11 deal because I get more $$ overall.

Gentlemen, I contacted the VA and was told that because I declined the MGIB when I enlisted, in favor of the SLRP, that I'm ineligible for Post 9/11 GI Benefits. I'm nearing the end of my initial 8 year enlistment, does anyone know if I would be eligible for the Post 9/11 if I entered the reserves and re-enlisted? I've tried to contact the VA about this, however, my inquiries were never answered. If anybody has any info, or has dealt with this issue themselves, lend a slightly illiterate and confused mamo jama a hand.

Ouch, you might have to contact, I hate to say this, a NG recruiter (call one of the SF units in your state) and they might be able to see if you can get the chapter 1606 and THEN transfer that into the post 9/11. What state are you in?

The Service Academies block off space every year for a number of eligible Guard and Reservists. That may be an option for some of you.

I started working on the Pat Tillman Scholarship this evening. Ironically enough, this evening was one of those irregular occurrences when I pop my head in on here. Hey, it can never hurt to try.

Last edited:
I started working on the Pat Tillman Scholarship this evening. Ironically enough, this evening was one of those irregular occurrences when I pop my head in on here. Hey, it can never hurt to try.

That's what I feel like. I was viewing the current scholars earlier, and there is some really stiff competition. Doesn't hurt to try, but man are there some outstanding folk out there.

Never think you're not good enough. Throughout my application process for grad school I was like, "Oh man, I'm never going to get into any of these schools," it was kind of like a "They're all gonna laugh at you!" moment.

As it turns out, I was mostly right, most of the schools I applied to rejected me. ;-) But one big one said "Sure, come on in."

Once classes started, I was intimidated as hell. Keep in mind I had been in the Army something like 15 years at this point, had deployed seven times, and served in three different major SOF units. Yet, I felt inadequate. Why? "Imposter syndrome." I went to class every day thinking, "One day this school is going to realize they made a terrible mistake letting me in here." As it turns out, this is a pretty common feeling for veterans.

Swing for the fences. Find out the top programs that you meet the standards for, and go for it. Being a veteran gives you a leg up both in the application process and in the classroom. Yes it's hard. Yes it's time-consuming and expensive. Did you WANT it to be easy? Did you want the military to be easy?

Yes some of your classmates may be smarter than you, but they should NEVER outhustle you. Get out there and get in the classroom. It's good for you, the Veteran Community, and the nation.

Back