Gillette Ad

Interesting new ad from Gillette.

Not sure how to take this. But if the Kavanaugh hearings were anything, it makes me fearful for whenever I raise a son.

So, I have four sons. In order working backwards 16, 15, 13, 10. Character education is a 24/7 job. I was very engaged with them watching the Kavanaugh hearings and reading on the #metoo movement. If they remember anything, they will know how to treat not just women, but everyone. It is a very scary world we are launching them into where a gesture, a glare, a smirk, can land them in front of an honor Court, a lawsuit, HR.

Interesting new ad from Gillette.

Not sure how to take this. But if the Kavanaugh hearings were anything, it makes me fearful for whenever I raise a son.

It's a strange ad coming from a razor company, but I don't think the sentiment is bad. We (broadly as a culture) are entrenched in the notion that those things depicted in the first 30ish second are what "men do". But it doesn't and shouldn't be like that. Raising the next generation should be more like devildoc said:

If they remember anything, they will know how to treat not just women, but everyone.

Edit: If people haven't seen it, here's the full video of the guy breaking up a fight and making those kids shake hands. It's worth a watch.

lol, I have a few buddies with very liberal "hip" wives/girlfriends. Hell my wife is pretty damn liberal, was all over that Kavanaugh bullshit.

I just laugh and make fun of them (respectfully, but I rib them non-stop).

Here is what I have honestly observed, the me-too for most that I've talked to, is more about being part of the cool kids and being supportive of people who have been sexually assaulted then it is about saying every guy is a sexual predator. As long as their not completely blind following, you can point out the bullshit and they will be receptive, it's all how you spell out your POV.

Color me stupid, but I cannot remember any time where it was okay to sexually assault or harass another person. Does that happen? Sure, and nobody should tolerate anyone doing such to anyone. Cat calling? It's one thing to whistle at a half naked girl climbing on the bar at 1am. It's something totally different to whistle at a young lady walking to her car, etc. It's our job to explain those differences to our sons and ingrain those self-respecting qualities. That's right, self respect, because I view it as disrespectful to yourself more so than the objected person. Because anyone worth their salt will see that, know who you are, and drop your frienship/association.

Any man who can watch a woman or another man be sexually harassed or assaulted and not put a stop to it, ain't a man.

I worry about my son, but it ain't because he won't know what is wrong or right. It's because I hope that I'm teaching him enough morality, self respect, and dignity to make the right decisions vs the wrong.

As a society, some much more so than others, we seem to have completely missed the actual point of equality, diversity, et al. The point isn't to stop vilifying one group just to find another group to vilify with broad sweeping generalizations (ie. white men, as then Gillette ad points out, and the wealthy are popular targets these days; many of these misplaced attacks used to simply be called envy or jealousy). The point is to treat individuals equally..at least up until they prove they deserve otherwise. Or perhaps I just missed the point. The hypocrisy of it all may be one of my biggest gripes (and I may be just as guilty as the next person).

Last edited:
I just watched the Gillette ad. I must be some type of liberal or something because I don't see why people are triggered. It's reminding white men men to not be dirtbags, something we should already know.
Added a little something to your post.

I watched it again and paid attention. Gillette had a specific agenda with this one, and now it appears they actually edited their own video because the original did not fit that agenda. Gillette purposefully edited their own video to remove the ONE scene that might reflect black men in a bad light.

https://theculturechronicles.com/in...ogynistic-rapper-from-their-viral-commercial/

Back