Going to build my first AR soon!

A lot of the twist rate thing is for accuracy.. If you shoot a 55gr bullet in a 1:7", it's not going to blow the barrel up - or at least the times I have done so... But it will keyhole the bullet (turn it sideways) and the jacket may deform or separate.
1:7" will stabilize the 62gr (green tip) and heavier bullets. The 1:9" is probably the best for the 55gr bullets.
My favorite is the 1:8" which will stabilize up to an 80gr bullet and doesn't do to badly with the 55gr bullets..
The current issue M4 has a 1:7 twist. Many of the 10.5-12" barrels also have this twist or 1:8" twist. Remember barrel length comes into the equation as you talk twists.. If you have a 24" barrel in 1:9 - it will do well with a 70 gr bullet, but not if your barrel is 14.5" There are some good web sites out there that talk of twist to bullet wt but most of those are competition shooters that will have a longer barrel.

Some competition shooters are going down to a 1:6.5" twist for bullets heavier than 85gr (FYI - you can't use those loads in a magazine - their too long.) People who shoot varmint loads (40-55gr) will go to a 1:10" twist or even a 1:14" twist for 40gr and less....

So what do you want? If you can, get the 1:8" twist. If you're going to be plinking or HD, the 1:9" will be ok. To make this easier - what are you looking to do with your AR build? (HD, SHTF, plinking, I want one just cause, competition...)

A lot of the twist rate thing is for accuracy.. If you shoot a 55gr bullet in a 1:7", it's not going to blow the barrel up - or at least the times I have done so... But it will keyhole the bullet (turn it sideways) and the jacket may deform or separate.
1:7" will stabilize the 62gr (green tip) and heavier bullets. The 1:9" is probably the best for the 55gr bullets.
My favorite is the 1:8" which will stabilize up to an 80gr bullet and doesn't do to badly with the 55gr bullets..
The current issue M4 has a 1:7 twist. Many of the 10.5-12" barrels also have this twist or 1:8" twist. Remember barrel length comes into the equation as you talk twists.. If you have a 24" barrel in 1:9 - it will do well with a 70 gr bullet, but not if your barrel is 14.5" There are some good web sites out there that talk of twist to bullet wt but most of those are competition shooters that will have a longer barrel.

Some competition shooters are going down to a 1:6.5" twist for bullets heavier than 85gr (FYI - you can't use those loads in a magazine - their too long.) People who shoot varmint loads (40-55gr) will go to a 1:10" twist or even a 1:14" twist for 40gr and less....

So what do you want? If you can, get the 1:8" twist. If you're going to be plinking or HD, the 1:9" will be ok. To make this easier - what are you looking to do with your AR build? (HD, SHTF, plinking, I want one just cause, competition...)

Well honestly I just want one to get familiar with them before I enter the service, for plinking and these tac shooting courses I want to take.

Well honestly I just want one to get familiar with them before I enter the service, for plinking and these tac shooting courses I want to take.

First- regardless of your shooting experience familiar or seasoned competitive shooter - ACT like you know nothing and let the military teach you everything. Nothing will get instructors (esp Drill Sgt/ or DI's) on your ass faster than letting them know you already know something (or think you know something). That's just to save you some grief. :cool:

Probably the 1:9 14.5" (with pinned flash suppressor) or 16" will do you just fine. If you have the funds 1:8 still is my favorite choice...

I will also say this about guns/optics/etc.... Buy quality once instead of junk a couple times and then back to quality.

First- regardless of your shooting experience familiar or seasoned competitive shooter - ACT like you know nothing and let the military teach you everything. Nothing will get instructors (esp Drill Sgt/ or DI's) on your ass faster than letting them know you already know something (or think you know something). That's just to save you some grief. :cool:

Probably the 1:9 14.5" (with pinned flash suppressor) or 16" will do you just fine. If you have the funds 1:8 still is my favorite choice...

I will also say this about guns/optics/etc.... Buy quality once instead of junk a couple times and then back to quality.

Alright thanks for the info about the Drill Sgts haha. I'm looking at a spikes tactical upper which is a 1:7" and a 16" barrel and I think I'm going to with that.

^^^ Looks good. In a complex sort of way.

Sgt to the Privates, we adopted the AT family because it was much lighter thand the 9 1/2 pound battle issued before that.

Private1 to Private2, "My M4 weights 15 pounds"

Private2, "Where is the rest of that mounts to the rails?"

Private1, "I am trying to keep it light, like the Sgt says, don't want no heavy battle rifle."

SGT to the Privates, "Now on the lower rail, clip the M845-73 Mod 3 cast iron skillet."

^^^ Looks good. In a complex sort of way.

Sgt to the Privates, we adopted the AT family because it was much lighter thand the 9 1/2 pound battle issued before that.

Private1 to Private2, "My M4 weights 15 pounds"

Private2, "Where is the rest of that mounts to the rails?"

Private1, "I am trying to keep it light, like the Sgt says, don't want no heavy battle rifle."

SGT to the Privates, "Now on the lower rail, clip the M845-73 Mod 3 cast iron skillet."

LMAO !!!!

Actually with all that shit on it it's still lighter than an M14. }:-)

LMAO !!!!

Actually with all that shit on it it's still lighter than an M14. }:-)

Are you sure, looks like the beginning of a crew served weapon.

If by chance you need to have it stored, I can do that for you.

IN it's final configuration:

Military model:

M4Maximo.jpg

Civilian model and one that is issued to those who jump of their free will and accord from perfectly good airplanes once they have mastered the M2x4:

CivilianElMaximo.jpg

Are you sure, looks like the beginning of a crew served weapon.

If by chance you need to have it stored, I can do that for you.

IN it's final configuration:

Military model:

M4Maximo.jpg

Civilian model and one that is issued to those who jump of their free will and accord from perfectly good airplanes once they have mastered the M2x4:

CivilianElMaximo.jpg

WTF is that shit all over that weapon ?? :doh::D}:-)

Somebody got way carried away.

And, NO you can't store it for me. LOL

Couldn't load a pic becaused I used it in another thread ??? How do I get that picture to load again in another thread ????

There is nothing wrong with that. Just keep it all a secret when you go in.

If you are looking at getting familiar with the M4/ AR family might I suggest getting a .22 upper to go on your AR? It is alot cheaper to shoot.
I have one on my list just so I can go out and have fun on the cheap. My 5.56 supply is dwindelling to a few hundred rounds and it hurts to think about resupply.

To piggy back KOZ, can you imagine a PADI diver going to BUD/s and telling Instructor X that you got this?

There is nothing wrong with that. Just keep it all a secret when you go in.

If you are looking at getting familiar with the M4/ AR family might I suggest getting a .22 upper to go on your AR? It is alot cheaper to shoot.
I have one on my list just so I can go out and have fun on the cheap. My 5.56 supply is dwindelling to a few hundred rounds and it hurts to think about resupply.

To piggy back KOZ, can you imagine a PADI diver going to BUD/s and telling Instructor X that you got this?

CMMG makes a very nice drop-in 22LR conversion for the AR for around $200 i want to say? you just take out the bolt carrier group, throw in the CMMG one, and you're ready to rock. It uses special magazines - comes with either 2 or 1, and new ones are like $30 =(

But, if you're just plinking or doing the run/gun kind of thing with you're friends, it beats the hell out of sitting on your couch, wishing you could afford (or even find) 5.56.

review: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC5UbgB_tfE[/ame]

conversion kit: http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cart=1807035&cat=81&
*It's the second item on that page.

Good point Bro, and I also advise against anyone shooting the cheap "Wolf" shit (.223) in ANY AR platform, even if that's ALL you can find. Especially in the heat of a hot summer day. :cool:

Yeah, I've been thinking about buying the .22 upper from Spike's actually.

Since I've got a new RRA LAR 15 lower I believe this build is going to be an Mk18 CQBR clone, as close as I can get.

RRA lower
LMT 10.5" CQBR upper
Knights RIS rail system
LMT SOPMOD stock
Knights foregrip
Knights rail covers
Aimpoint CompM3
Wilcox Aimpoint mount
LMT A2 rear BUIS
Tango Down Battle Grip
H/H2 Buffer depending on the load.
Surefire Scout Light
BCM BCG/Auto

Isn't that my rifle? I know you said you were sending me a rifle.}:-) You forgot the 2500 rounds of match ammo and the magazines though.

Good point Bro, and I also advise against anyone shooting the cheap "Wolf" shit (.223) in ANY AR platform, even if that's ALL you can find. Especially in the heat of a hot summer day. :cool:

Yeah, that's really good advise. On the subject of CMMG, the warranty their ARs come with are null and void if you use Wolf ammo. It's that bad...

Back