Going to build my first AR soon!

Blue

Super Ninja magic man
Unverified
So I was wondering what uppers and lowers I should be looking at, good companies and the like. I've been looking at spikes tactical uppers but have no idea what to look for in a lower. So if someone could help me out it would be much appreciated!

For quality lowers - Top dollar ones: Larue, Noveske, POF,
Very Good quality not overpriced : CMMG, LMT, Bravo Co (Sold thru Denny's Guns), Stag. There are some others but these are good choices.

I've heard lots of complaints about Bushmaster & RRA lowers. I have a Sun Devil and not extremely happy with it... I'd buy the good ones I mentioned above first.

Spikes makes good things AFAIK and they will stand behind their product. Colt makes very good parts/guns BUT they are not cheap and you'll find some problems with the trigger pin size differences. IMO - stay with the ones I first listed.

Uppers: Again Noveske, Larue and I'll add VLTOR to the mix are top quality.
Bravo co makes an excellent receiver (I'd probably go with them). Also before you buy an upper receiver, you need to know what type of barrel extension you'll be getting - eg - M4 cuts or not. It's not good to have and M4 upper receiver and not have an M4 barrel extension. I'll post a picture at somepoint when I can find it.

If you're looking for a complete upper assembly - Spikes is a good option. There is another thread where we talk a lot about quality M4/Ar15 components.

feedramps.jpg

For quality lowers - Top dollar ones: Larue, Noveske, POF,
Very Good quality not overpriced : CMMG, LMT, Bravo Co (Sold thru Denny's Guns), Stag. There are some others but these are good choices.

I've heard lots of complaints about Bushmaster & RRA lowers. I have a Sun Devil and not extremely happy with it... I'd buy the good ones I mentioned above first.

Spikes makes good things AFAIK and they will stand behind their product. Colt makes very good parts/guns BUT they are not cheap and you'll find some problems with the trigger pin size differences. IMO - stay with the ones I first listed.

Uppers: Again Noveske, Larue and I'll add VLTOR to the mix are top quality.
Bravo co makes an excellent receiver (I'd probably go with them). Also before you buy an upper receiver, you need to know what type of barrel extension you'll be getting - eg - M4 cuts or not. It's not good to have and M4 upper receiver and not have an M4 barrel extension. I'll post a picture at somepoint when I can find it.

If you're looking for a complete upper assembly - Spikes is a good option. There is another thread where we talk a lot about quality M4/Ar15 components.

feedramps.jpg

Alright I'll look into these parts, thanks for the Info!

mooseheadcase.jpg

I have found Moosehead to be excellent AR assembly beer. :cool:
Also works to take the "edge" off when you can't find that ONE freakin part because everybody is Outta Stock.

You can't go wrong with an LMT lower. Alot of the lowers you see out there for sale, from companies that are big names use LMT. Lewis Machine and Tool produces (guesing) 60% of the lowers out there. I know my Smith & Wesson M&P15 uses LMT parts and Stag is owned by ol' man Lewis' son. The Stag Arms factory is right across the street from LMT and uses thier parts.
Unless you are getting a boutique lower (CNC forged from un-obtanium), there is a big chance you will get an LMT so when you are out there shopping as who makes it because it is not always from the co. with the stamp on the side. Might as well cut out the middle man.

Since I've got a new RRA LAR 15 lower I believe this build is going to be an Mk18 CQBR clone, as close as I can get.

RRA lower
LMT 10.5" CQBR upper
Knights RIS rail system
LMT SOPMOD stock
Knights foregrip
Knights rail covers
Aimpoint CompM3
Wilcox Aimpoint mount
LMT A2 rear BUIS
Tango Down Battle Grip
H/H2 Buffer depending on the load.
Surefire Scout Light
BCM BCG/Auto

Quick question, where the hell do I find parts! Everyone is sold out of everything apparently :(

If I where you I'd go to Gunbroker.com and find a complete lower. There's usually plenty of RRA LAR 15's available depending on how much you want pay for them.

I just got one for $320 which is only $15 more than they ask for them on the RRA site.

What's hard to get are the uppers and bolt carrier groups and lower parts kits. Most are speeding up the manufacturing and delivery to online sites but the political climate makes it hard to grab them once they appear in "IN STOCK status on the sites.

I just recieved a 10.5" LMT CQBR upper from Bravacompanyusa.com this week. They still have some in stock and in various lengths of barrel. Some with SS and some with 4150 also with rail systems already installed.

30 round mags are also in high demand, especially Mag Pul PMAG's. You can put your self on the email list with Bravo Company so you'll get an email notice when their mags are back in stock. I just recieved 6 more PMAGs and two orders of the Ranger baseplates. Pick and choose which mags you want carefully.

www.bravocompanyusa.com

LMT lower complete

I don't know anything about this dealer but it's a good price for a LMT lower.

If you are interested in creating a SPR type AR - Compass Lake will turn you a barrel pretty quickly and they use pretty high quality stuff (Douglas and Krieger) They'll be gone until Aug 17th for Camp Perry but their prices, quality and service are good...

Brownell's makes some good 30rd mags with the Magpul followers for pretty cheap and almost always in stock. PM me if you don't know how to get the price break...

82nd - I'm jealous of your new upper.... Let's see some pics

LMT lower complete

If you are interested in creating a SPR type AR - Compass Lake will turn you a barrel pretty quickly and they use pretty high quality stuff (Douglas and Krieger) They'll be gone until Aug 17th for Camp Perry but their prices, quality and service are good...

Brownell's makes some good 30rd mags with the Magpul followers for pretty cheap and almost always in stock. PM me if you don't know how to get the price break...

PM sent and whats a SPR type AR? I'm new at all this so I don't recognize a lot of the acronyms lol.

LMT lower complete

The LMT 10.5" CQBR upper comes without handguards and without the BCG and charger.

I'm going to either purchase the Knights RIS or RAS depending on how much I really wanna get into removing the FSB or not for the installation.

$485 at Bravo Company.

I need a Mil-Spec extension and the SOPMOD stock. Although I have two other SOPMOD's I want a stock for every rifle.

I'll post pics once the entire rifle is complete with rear sight, Wilcox mount, Scout light and Knights foregrip etc.

PM sent and whats a SPR type AR? I'm new at all this so I don't recognize a lot of the acronyms lol.

An SPR is a Special Purpose Rifle - Google the Mk12 rifle. It's usually a pretty accurate on an 18" barrel - different models have different rail systems. It was "developed" by Crane naval weapons support center.

However now that I think about it, they (Compass Lake) will make you a 16" (or other length) barrel in the twist that you choose...

An SPR is a Special Purpose Rifle - Google the Mk12 rifle. It's usually a pretty accurate on an 18" barrel - different models have different rail systems. It was "developed" by Crane naval weapons support center.

However now that I think about it, they (Compass Lake) will make you a 16" (or other length) barrel in the twist that you choose...

ah I figured that's what it meant. Ok I'll look into compass lake, but I'm kind of confused about the whole twist thing. Whats the difference between different barrel twists?

ah I figured that's what it meant. Ok I'll look into compass lake, but I'm kind of confused about the whole twist thing. Whats the difference between different barrel twists?

Somebody more versed than me wanna tackle this question ??

To my understanding...the 1:7 twist is used to stabilize the heavier (like 77gr.) bullets.
But can be detrimental to the lighter bullets (breaks them apart). So, unless you are shooting nothing but the heavier bullets, go with a 1:9 twist if you're looking for max. ammo versatility.

That is my understanding, at least. :cool:

JAB is the man to really outline/describe this correctly.

Back