Guidance on what path to take

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roger that.

I plan on majoring in International Relations, and learning a language. Hopefully arabic.

You can start (and finish) your degree in Intl Relations at AMU. AMU is online. You should enroll now and start taking classes on Uncle Sugar's dime. Take your languages as a resident. Or go to the Q-course and knock out your language credits there.

If you want in, PM me. 13F is a good transition MOS to 18 series...unless you're a douche. You're not a douche are you? We have a no douche policy. (X before you get all crazy on the keyboard, I came in like you, pre-douchebag policy).

This is true, its a long shot he even makes it through SFAS. Current military or high school wannabee doesnt really make a difference.

My 2 cents...

Since you have an interest in a Federal LEO gig and also something highspeed in the military. Think about getting off Active Duty and entering the Reserves/NG as a 35M or 35L while checking off the college box. A degree in Intelligence Studies, Homeland Security,etc... would be good. If I were 21 again I would have gotten my degree in Intelligence Studies. Anyway... those are not SF long tabbed wearing jobs but can be very interesting and seem to be inline with your long term goals.
As a 35M (HUMINT Collector) you would get some very good training and schools if you go to the right unit and are an NCO. Some of the schools that would be available to you are in high demand by not only Federal LEAs but DoD Intelligence agencies that you might want to consider. I am not a 35M but I have several close friends who are and they did went on to dive and jump school and they have some very interesting work.
As a 35L (Counterintelligence Special Agent) you would be an accredited Federal Agent and among your responsibilities would be to investigate Treason, Sabotage, Sedition, Espionage and other National Security Crimes within CI jurisdiction. The experience would be invaluable for someone looking at being a FLEO. There are high speed opportunities available in and out of the DoD. There are 35L at the SF groups and there are 35L who work around the country assigned to the FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force.
A CI/HUMINT background makes you attractive to the Feds. I have had a few offers. Customs, ICE,etc...
Just something to chew on. Good luck!
Im not trying to sharpshoot but why would a degree in homeland security or intel studies or even crim justice help out? They are niche degrees and the way Fed LE seems to be going on the SA side, is coming to the table with a skill, experience and hopefully a language. Honestly, I can count the people I work with who have a crim justice degree on one hand. Its too specialized and the market is flooded with them.

depends on the MOS and the school. I got 40-something. But I'm not an 18B, which would probably get six or so.

If you want in, PM me. 13F is a good transition MOS to 18 series...unless you're a douche. You're not a douche are you? We have a no douche policy. (X before you get all crazy on the keyboard, I came in like you, pre-douchebag policy).

Ajax - you are the reason for the no douchebag policy, I saw the memo.:doh:

Im not trying to sharpshoot but why would a degree in homeland security or intel studies or even crim justice help out? They are niche degrees and the way Fed LE seems to be going on the SA side, is coming to the table with a skill, experience and hopefully a language. Honestly, I can count the people I work with who have a crim justice degree on one hand. Its too specialized and the market is flooded with them.

On the LE side, OD is dead on. Think the economy or your next employer should you find yourself in a new line of work due to accident or injury will be impressed by a niche degree? You just narrowed your blanket factor of hirability considerably. Go for a broader scope when picking a minor or major. Most LE institutions requiring a degree care that you have a degree period, as long as it's from an accreditied institution and not some paper mill.

Not to mention life/job possibilities after a career in SF or LE: e.g. You'll get more mileage with a degree in Business than a CJ degree. :2c:

I agree with you OD. They just require A degree in something. That having been said a degree in Intelligence Studies, along with some CI/HUMINT experience is seen as a good thing to those in the field. I have seen Chief Warrant Officers (Our Team Chiefs) looking over a Soldier's mil bio and see a degree in business (along with their experience) and seen them look at another who is getting deeper into CI with his education and its a different look.
There are a LOT of opportunities for CI/HUMINT types. A shortage of qualified people and plenty of work to go around. Educated and experienced guys are making some nice money as contractors and Government employees. The ones with NO degree are doing pretty good too though. This Soldier could go CI/HUMINT and become a DoD MICECP or some of the other things we have that are similiar to the Federal LE 1811 type gigs. Still a Sworn B & C carrying Special Agent... just different responsibilities and authority. MICECP is one of the few such positions that doesnt require a degree and the age cutoff of say FBI,etc...
I am in the AMU program and I like it. It is a niche but I dont mind. My civilian profession doesnt require a degree and I am paid pretty well. I wanted to increase the depth of my knowledge in my MOS and pick up the degree I put off for so long in the process. Afterall it IS free! And that is something else that I try to tell the younger Soldiers. Use the benefits and learn from the errors of the guys on their 2nd and 3rd enlistments.
I was just trying to tell a 21 year old a little something from my experiences being 35 and being in MI since 21. I run into a lot of 22-25 year olds who want to go SF, they want to go to Ranger school and all these things but as you know it aint easy. Many are called but the chose are few.

Again I would like to thank everyone for the help. It's a little late, but this advice/pm's i have received, have helped me with the decision.

Thanks everyone!

As all have already said - get your degree. As to what you get it in is up to you. Anything "Intel" or "Security" or things like that are what someone already said - "niche."

Business or Economics are good. Law is better.

But like the Troll suggested, start studying language now. There are many of us here who can tell stories about how having a second language got us through situations that guns couldn't possibly have. BTW - I suggest Persian-Farsi or Tagalog.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back