Gurkha ordered back to UK after beheading dead Taliban fighter

pardus

Verified Military
A Gurkha soldier has been flown back to the UK after hacking the head off a dead Taliban commander with his ceremonial knife to prove the dead man’s identity.

The private, from 1st Battalion, Royal Gurkha Rifles, was involved in a fierce firefight with insurgents in the Babaji area of central Helmand Province when the incident took place earlier this month.

His unit had been told that they were seeking a ‘high value target,’ a Taliban commander, and that they must prove they had killed the right man.

The Gurkhas had intended to remove the Taliban leader’s body from the battlefield for identification purposes.

But they came under heavy fire as their tried to do so. Military sources said that in the heat of battle, the Gurkha took out his curved kukri knife and beheaded the dead insurgent.

He is understood to have removed the man’s head from the area, leaving the rest of his body on the battlefield.

This is considered a gross insult to the Muslims of Afghanistan, who bury the entire body of their dead even if parts have to be retrieved.

British soldiers often return missing body parts once a battle has ended so the dead can be buried in one piece.

More...

* Three more British soldiers die in Afghanistan, taking death toll to 321
* New Army chief is ready to pull the plug on ‘over-priced’ UK defence firms

A source said: ‘Removing the head in this way was totally inappropriate.’

Army sources said that the soldier, who is in his early 20s, initially told investigators that he unsheathed his kukri – the symbolic weapon of the Gurkhas – after running out of ammunition.

But later the Taliban fighter was mutilated so his identity could be verified through DNA tests.

The source said: ‘The soldier has been removed from duty and flown home. There is no sense of glory involved here, more a sense of shame. He should not have done what he did.’

The incident, which is being investigated by senior commanders, is hugely embarrassing to the British Army, which is trying to build bridges with local Afghan communities who have spent decades under *Taliban rule.

It comes just days after a rogue Afghan soldier murdered three British troops from the same Gurkha regiment.

If the Gurkha being investigated by the Army is found guilty of beheading the dead enemy soldier, he will have contravened the Geneva Conventions which dictate the rules of war. Soldiers are banned from demeaning their enemies.

The Gurkha now faces disciplinary action and a possible court martial. If found guilty, he could be jailed.

He is now confined to barracks at the Shorncliffe garrison, near Folkestone, Kent.

The incident happened as the Gurkha troop was advancing towards a hostile area before engaging the enemy in battle.

Colonel Richard Kemp, a former commander of British forces in Afghanistan, said: ‘In this case, it appears that the *soldier was not acting maliciously, but his actions were clearly ill-judged.

‘The Gurkhas are a very fine regiment with a proud tradition of service in the British forces and have fought very bravely in Afghanistan.

'I have no doubt that this behaviour would be as strongly condemned by the other members of that regiment, as it would by all soldiers in the British forces.’

A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: ‘We are aware of an incident and have informed the Afghan authorities. An inves-t*igation is underway and it would not be appropriate to comment further until this is concluded.’

The Ministry also revealed yesterday that four British servicemen had been killed in Afghanistan in 24 hours.

An airman from the RAF Regiment died in a road accident near Camp Bastion in Helmand and a marine from 40 Commando Royal Marines was killed in an explosion in Sangin on Friday.

A Royal Dragoon Guard died in a blast in the Nahr-e Saraj district of Helmand Province yesterday. The fourth serviceman also died in an explosion.

The British death toll in the Afghan campaign since 2001 is now 322.

Afghan troops trained by the British Army recently led a major operation into a Taliban stronghold.

It was one of the first operations organised by the Afghan National Army.

Regiment’s proud symbol of valour

The iconic kukri knife used by the Gurkhas can be a weapon or a tool. It is the traditional utility knife of the Nepalese people, but is mainly known as a symbolic weapon for Gurkha regiments all over the world.

The kukri signifies courage and valour on the battlefield and is sometimes worn by bridegrooms during their wedding ceremony.

The kukri’s heavy blade enables the user to inflict deep wounds and to cut muscle and bone with one stroke.

It can also be used in stealth operations to slash an enemy’s throat, killing him instantly and silently.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-dead-Taliban-fighter.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#

View attachment 12619

Another bullshit move by PC western Armies.
Way to continue your policy of fucking the fighting man as he tries to carry out your un-obey able orders.

Attachments

• article-0-0045070900000258-960_468x286.jpg
    article-0-0045070900000258-960_468x286.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 20
In the heat of battle I don't think I would bat at an eye if a Gurkha cut off the head of a Taliban fighter, but I don't know about taking the head with you....

He was ordered to bring back the body for identification purposes.

He is a Gurkha so it doesnt take a huge leap to see he was following orders to the best of his ability. Battlefield expediency is what this is.

That said, he'll get fucked for it.

He was ordered to bring back the body for identification purposes.

He is a Gurkha so it doesnt take a huge leap to see he was following orders to the best of his ability. Battlefield expediency is what this is.

That said, he'll get fucked for it.

Hell if he was ordered to bring back the body for identification he was just being practical. I don't see what the problem is. The Gurkhas don't carry around those super machetes for show, what did his command think was going to happen?

Hell if he was ordered to bring back the body for identification he was just being practical. I don't see what the problem is. The Gurkhas don't carry around those super machetes for show, what did his command think was going to happen?

Yep. Poor guy thought he was doing the right thing and is going to get hammered for it.

I would like to have a whole squad of thinkers like this to work with on any battlefield, including but not limited to, the local Hooters.

An ear would have been enough surely for a DNA sample. 14 days CB and back to work, done & dusted.

They dont have DNA to compare it to.. an ear, blood,Iris, latent print or hair sample is going to work..
Only have grainy photos of these guys, needed the head for facial rec.

IMO, He wasnt intenitally being dispectful. We all have to had to make split decisions, his command shouldnt hold his feet to the fire over bad PR. The asshole taliban, are blowing up boys w/ cowardly IED daily.. fuck em.

That is fucked, this soldier needs a medal not a punishment... Thats another PR fucked unit, everyone now knows if you think out side the box and act to complete the mission, you will be judged. Fucking sad.

Those fucking muslims should stop blowing them selves into millions of peices, if they want to be burried with all their fingers, toes and head. Those Gurkhas should have booby trapped the TB fighter with a frag after taking his head, maybe they could have killed a few more...

If the command want to get really nit picky about it, the body should have been buried before sunset too, which clearly wouldn't have happened if they'd taken the body with them.

I like that gurkha. I'd buy him a beer.

#1 rule I had as a PL was once a gook was sent on his way to see Buda the body wasn't to be mutilated in any way. That being said, I'd have to agree with you guys. Humping a head back to the rear would be the practical thing to do under the circumstances. Why risk lives trying to drag a body around in a fire fight?

He used his kukri like he was trained to use it. An ear or a scalp may have been easier, but if you have the time, go for it..........

All you need for DNA is a blood sample... just sayin'...

Uh, sir? Like Rock42 says, you also need something to match it to - and if they ain't already got the dude's DNA somewhere, blood sample don't mean nuthin.

A man's head. Well, now, THAT is some incontrovertible truth.

LL

The other part, the opposition may say, "The DNA is phony, they did not kill him, etc".. A ear, drop of blood, is not confirmation. Not too many headless bodies running around fighting. The guy gets points for improvising under stress. Maybe a promotion is in order.

Why the fuck did they issue him a Kukri in the first place if they're gonna try hang him out to dry for using it while following orders?

Cunts.

Back