Head of US marine force in Darwin stood down for drink-driving on nightclub strip

Status
Not open for further replies.
And you think it should be that way?

Your complaint about double standards in the military is like complaining that it's not a democracy...or that there's no air on the moon. Officers "cleaning the motor pool" would denigrate the respect and dignity of the rank itself and jeopardize discipline. For those reasons there has to be a double standard.

Your complaint about double standards in the military is like complaining that it's not a democracy...or that there's no air on the moon. Officers "cleaning the motor pool" would denigrate the respect and dignity of the rank itself and jeopardize discipline. For those reasons there has to be a double standard.

I couldn't disagree with you more, the respect that comes along with the rank is forever lost when you fuck up and get a light punishment. Now obviously I'm talking about adverse actions. Officers and SRNCO should never get a pass or light punishment because that is what degrades respect and dignity of the rank and will absolutely destroy discipline.

There are sound reasons why the things you'd like to see as punishment for officers--cleaning the shitters or breaking rocks or whatever--will never happen.

It's not my opinion, it's the way things are and the way they will remain. When you signed on that dotted line, who told you the military had to be fair and equitable?

I know where you're coming from, Joe, but as an experienced NCO you know full well how the system works. Officers do not get punished for the amusement of the rank and file. They do not clean heads or scrub pots in the galley. The disciplinary measures taken against them are not conducted in front of the entire battalion...

...Because doing so would denigrate the dignity and authority of the entire rank and erode discipline. Officers cannot be humiliated in front of their men.

(Although I've known one or two Jr officers who managed to humiliate themselves without any outside help).

Last edited:
You don't discipline a 40 year old man like you do a 19 year old scrote. Killing a 40 year career at the 20-25 year mark is a significantly heavier punishment than a bit of time painting rocks and chipping weeds.

This thread is getting way off track. If someone wants to make a thread about Enlisted punishments vs. Officer punishments, cool.
Actually this thread has pretty much run its course.

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back