Higher Education: Your Experiences, Your Questions

Well, we can discuss the merits of a particular school or its chosen delivery method(s), but at the end of the day you're the HUMINT guy. There are other intel gurus here, but this is your career field. You tell us; which path do you think is more beneficial?

If you were asking about police work, I'd be able to advise you. However, the reason I'd be able to do that is because I know my field well-just as you're expected to know yours.

Right. I'm looking for someone that has gone down this path. But I get the picture.

:eek: WTF???? Even at ASOC? Jesus.

Yes. It was an extraordinarily bad idea and I definitely do not recommend it.

I was in one of the very first ASOC classes, and I grossly underestimated the difficulty of the course ;)

You lost me here. I thought that a stamp of approval from the Ivy League was a higher validation of the quality of AMU's education than anything University of Phoenix (TV school- I like that :D ) might say.

Or maybe you're saying the same thing and I'm experiencing vapor lock? It's been known to happen.

And maybe I said it poorly. :D This would be SO much easier in-person. I'm trying to say that you didn't use another online school to validate its quality, you used your respected local university.

If you're going to use UPenn to validate a degree from AMU, that obviously says you think highly of UPenn. It looks to me like you're saying "a quality school like the University of Pennsylvania will accept a degree from AMU for their graduate program" implying the UPenn is higher on the spectrum of quality. If that's the case, why not get an undergrad from a more reputable, higher regarded school in the first place? I am willing to guess that if you Google "XXX state university distance education" for your favorite college or university, they will have an on-line program of some sort.

Penn State has an on-line degree program. http://www.worldcampus.psu.edu/index.shtml?cid=0206_GOOLR89_0606&gclid=CL744Za2gKgCFYXc4AodsClPrw
Louisiana State University has on-line classes, but unfortunately no degree www.is.lsu.edu
Indiana University has a well-developed on-line program with a Bachelor's degree in General Studies http://scs.indiana.edu/undergraddegrees/undergraddegrees.html

The above is my 0930 Sunday morning list; I'm sure there're more but I'm not awake enough to think of them right now.

There are hundreds (thousands?) of good traditional schools out there that offer distance education, and IME name-recognition is important. In both ways; IMO it's better to go to a small local school that the employer has to do some research about (but when he finds it he sees that it has a campus, football team, library, etc) than to a place that he instantly recognizes because it's that "TV school". :D

IME, degrees from schools like UoP are a joke in the real world, and many people think AMU is a internal military school. Not like West Point or Annapolis, but like CCAF or MCI. Again, I'm not speaking to the quality of the education received there, but to their perception in the outside world.

My main question remains:

1) Which would be more beneficial in HUMINT career field? "Civilian courses" such as Psychology and Criminal Justice or "intel specific courses" such as ones provided by AMU?

I'm going to pull out here. Really looks like you just want people to validate your attendance at AMU. Good luck.

I'm going to pull out here. Really looks like you just want people to validate your attendance at AMU. Good luck.

Ok maybe I'm wording this question wrong and need to retake English. I haven't enrolled in anywhere, hell I still need to go to the Ed Center. What I'm asking is what classes would benefit me more in my career, "traditional" Psychology and Criminal Justice courses and degress or "tailored" ones specifically focused on intelligence subjects? Maybe I just answered my own question lol. I'll just try a little bit of everything. I guess a Bachelor's is a Bachelor's regardless if it's in "Intelligence Collection" or "Psychology".

And I let myself get dragged right back in...

Ok maybe I'm wording this question wrong and need to retake English. I haven't enrolled in anywhere, hell I still need to go to the Ed Center. What I'm asking is what classes would benefit me more in my career, "traditional" Psychology and Criminal Justice courses and degress or "tailored" ones specifically focused on intelligence subjects? Maybe I just answered my own question lol. I'll just try a little bit of everything. I guess a Bachelor's is a Bachelor's regardless if it's in "Intelligence Collection" or "Psychology".

False. Did you read my first post?

Personal observation: It's hard to get a degree in anything practical (read relevant to the job market) online.

If you want to go into the medical field, and are an 18D Western Carolina has a pretty good online program..

Echo-
The goal of a degree is to allow you to think - in a logical and cogent manner - All degrees require basic courses that are the same... English, History, Math, etc... take the Core requirements first. Even if they are at a local Community College. Figure out what interests you - University really shouldn't be a vo-tech scenario - learn, get educated. Then get your Master's (which really is a vo-tech degree) in your career field.

My thoughts on what you should study to really be good at your job in HUMINT - Behavioral/Social Sciences (Psychology, Anthropology and Sociology) and Humanities (specifically Literature and History). As they teach you to think - not just like yourself, but like others.

Do the Intel degree later - you still have lots of Military courses to teach you your job the way the Army wants it done.

I'm disappointed in you - a HUMINT guy that can't figure out something this simple?

I guess a Bachelor's is a Bachelor's regardless if it's in "Intelligence Collection" or "Psychology".
False - simply having a bachelors will do absolutely nothing to distinguish you from the competition if the degree itself holds no value.
Take a look at some of the intel reqs on USAJOBS.gov. The two things they're looking for are experience doing the job (this is your TIS) and expertise in a subject (this is your higher ed.).

I believe this is the correct place to post this so here it goes. I assume that being SOF means little free time for college so I'm sure those of you with degrees have some reputable references. I'm looking to further my knowledge and experience in my occupational specialty (HUMINT) while also furthering my civilian education. I am stuck on taking "civilian courses" such as Psychology and Criminal Justice or "intel courses" provided by AMU and Cochise. Which would be more beneficial in this field? Does anyone here have a degree from one of these colleges? Plan B for my career is definitely staying in my field either GSP or OGA so I'm wondering if government agencies recognize these degrees and if not, what would you recommend?

Online education is what you put into it. I recently got an A.A from an online school. There was alot of writing, needed to log in to the student portal daily to submit work and for "attendance". I didn't like the lack of feedback, the rigid grading system or the copy and pasted comments I received for my weekly assignments. However if you're deployed, shift work or simply don't have the time to attend school because of life demands I would find the best one rated out there and go for it.

I believe they do but I don't know how much weight they give. A degree is a degree on paper at least. It's something you should as anyone you know who are in HR, personnel or recruiters. I have an average opinion based upon what I went through. I will be doing my B.A at a brick and motar school. The major you choose does matter as does your grades. Don't pick basket weaving because you're bored.

I think there was a lot of good advice and especially like 0699 and xSF's points. I think looking for traditional schools with DL programs will best serve you long term. The two issues I would focus on in choosing any program is accreditation and credit transfers to other institutions.

Accreditation is tricky and needs to be researched. Almost every "school" will claim some type of accreditation. You need to look at the specific program and what the program has for accreditation. If your looking at an accounting program is that particular program accredited by a national accounting accreditation program. That's what give the education substance beyond just name recognition of the school.

Credit and degree transfer is something to be aware of as well. A lot of for-profit schools that give a specific degree won't be recognized by institutions when you want to get another undergrad or masters degree later in life. I had a good friends wife who got a two year paralegal degree from a for-profit school. She got a paralegal job and was well rewarded. After more then 10 years she decided to go back to school to become a lawyer. That two year degree didn't transfer nor did any of her credits. She had to basically restart her undergrad degree so she could eventually get to law school.

Think long term because you don't want to waste money and time on an education that can't take you to the places you want to be in 10 years from now.

I also believe that a particular undergrad degrees is important in getting your first job after college. After you have actual work experience that will be the biggest factor in future jobs. Having the undergrad degree will be more of a check mark or a means for whittling down the pile of resumes. Getting the masters degree in your chosen profession will be the door opener for higher achievement.

Honestly, from the tiny bit of informant recruiting I've done, the ability to get along with many different walks of life and a bit of animal cunning and a sense for weakness is better for HUMINT than any undergrad degree. I do know what you're asking, however.

How do you exploit that sense for weakness once you've sensed it?

I suppose that depends on what your organisation does and their SOPs. It also depended on the person involved. I was only ever a dedicated amateur at it- our SOP was to push them over to the investigators and they'd make the pitch. We just did the groundwork and a brief. Well, those of us who took such things seriously. Could you shed some more light on it by chance?

I'm with 0699 on this one. I graduated with a BA in PoliSci from a brick and mortar (UCF) and enrolled at AMU for my Masters in Intel Studies.
I was accepted instantly and they immediately wanted a form of payment. I immediately went off to read reviews to get second opinions. For one.. although an online school can be just as if not more educationally demanding then going to a B&M. There is another factor that employers look for - the social factor. Like it or not, the college experience builds a person socially, not just intellectually. And an online school like AMU does not do that.

I also work as a headhunter for pharmaceutical companies - anything from clinical to financial/sales/marketing. And the hiring managers always express that they do not want somebody from a non B&M college.

The thing that really made me decide to drop AMU was the fact that I instantly could start. College should be competitive, ESPECIALLY a Masters program. AMU is an automatic acceptance school (no-go). It's an assembly line for degrees.

Although a Masters in intelligence collection/studies sounded great - ultimately it would have been a waste of my money.

I don't want to offend anybody, so if I did, take it up on PM.

A friend of mine is attending Yale through their "Eli Whitney" program. The way he described it, the program takes "non-traditional" students, who are usually a good bit older and have some unique life experience, and admits them as undergrads. I would guess that a good number of our members would fit their interpretation of "non-traditional." If you're out of the service and looking to get into one of the top universities in the world, consider giving Yale and the Eli Whitney program a shot. I don't have anything to do with the program, I just thought it could be a great opportunity for some of our members, so I'm posting it.

http://admissions.yale.edu/eli-whitney

My main question remains:

1) Which would be more beneficial in HUMINT career field? "Civilian courses" such as Psychology and Criminal Justice or "intel specific courses" such as ones provided by AMU?

A degree in a relevant, low density foreign language. A degree in poly sci/international relations, or area studies tailored to the middle east, Russia, or asia. A degree in a hard science... Some others.

Depends on who you want to work for... and what you want to do for work.

Which would be more beneficial in this field? Does anyone here have a degree from one of these colleges? Plan B for my career is definitely staying in my field either GSP or OGA so I'm wondering if government agencies recognize these degrees and if not, what would you recommend?

The OGA hiring managers do not care what your BA or BS is in. Heck, I left AD in 2001 to take a USG job and didn't actually graduate with my degree until 2003. I've worked with people who had JD, MBA, and one of the sharpest analysts I ever worked with had a BA in Philosophy. They all could WRITE VERY WELL, were very organized, and conducted amazing research. Regarding languages, it is very common for OGAs to hire someone only to retrain them into a needed language. I know guys to were 2/2 in French, Spanish, and even Russian and all 3 were retrained into GWOT languages immediately after hiring.

Here is a dose of reality: all that cool shit you think you'll be doing working as an OGA civilian...it's only in the movies man. If you want to do really cool stuff that you cannot do because of military restrictions, become a contractor that supports OGAs. High risk, high pay, and very rewarding. Just remember...they are expendable: not as in their life is expendable but as it "thanks, the project is over and this contract is terminated. Have a nice day."

"GIBill.com" has been steering unsuspecting vets to for-profit colleges. Colleges who happen to be clients/sponsors of the site. Nice.:thumbsdown:

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...tion-turns-gibillcom-over-to-veterans-affairs

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs will receive a website, GIBill.com, from a marketing company accused of deceiving veterans by steering them to for-profit colleges while it masqueraded as an unbiased source of information.

The states involved in the settlement alleged that the company duped users by implying that military education benefits could only be used at schools listed on its website, when in fact it the list of schools was incomplete.
GIBill.com also allegedly said its information was unbiased and comprehensive when in fact only clients of the company were listed on the site.

Back