Higher Education: Your Experiences, Your Questions

A degree in a relevant, low density foreign language. A degree in poly sci/international relations, or area studies tailored to the middle east, Russia, or asia. A degree in a hard science... Some others.

Depends on who you want to work for... and what you want to do for work.

^^Says it well. So did the post following from SOF support. If you like your current work, analyze your superiors, those who you respect and know are the finest in the trade. What do they do better than anyone else? Follow their lead but be sure you're following what you want and what will hold your interest long term.

Languages as a study delve into culture which is extremely useful. Can't say enough for forensic psychology in the realm of manipulating for information extraction. Logic and philosophy classes as non-major requirements give great depth to human thought process and rationalization concepts. Statistics, mathematics - patterns are everywhere. Recognize them first and you hold the key to behavior control and manipulation.

My 2 cents on B&M school vs. online. Always go for the B&M as a first option. Online as a last option. No degree is NOT an option. I did my undergrad and several professional cert. and related courses at B&M institutions, no substitute for the experience. I got my Master's through an online program only because constant travel with little notice - frequently - made it impossible to attend regular B&M courses. Ironically I had no problem leaving good impression during interviews with federal agencies regarding the Notorious UoP. Yes, they let anyone in who isn't a felon (sad...so sad). But - instructors with real world, current experience on topic is invaluable. Life teaches us all that reality>theory, seven ways to Sunday. UoP is nationally accredited just the same as any B&M so there's no issue in that regard. You get out of the degree what you're willing to put in. I pulled a 3.9 but I did everything 110%, extra homework, research, followed up with instructors after courses. One of the more useful take-away opportunities from the online format is learning team-work and personality management. My goal was to get a 4.0 but I had to work with some schleps who just wanted a piece of paper. I learned more about motivating others, cooperation, coordination, mutual respect, communication (many students were deployed to scattered zones and some students did not speak English as a first language) and flexibility than any academia setting could provide. Those are highly regarded attributes in the business world. If you plan to stay closer to military type work or security/intel at the federal level and want to grow into leadership roles - the NIU is a great place to further your education. I missed my opportunity to go that route so I can't give input on that topic - other than to say I regret not being able to take advantage of NIU.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

The trend of rating online courses has changed to being highly looked at. Your have to have motivation to study on your own and complete assignments when there are soooo many distractions. Most schools now have online programs that are no different than in class classes to include all state universities...UMASS. The diploma says the same whether online or in class.

I just started my first year of college and thought that 260$ for books was expensive! I'd hate to be taking whatever classes you guys are taking.

Interesting thread. In my career, an online degree would be laughed at.

But I can see how that might be different for other career fields.

But, in the end, one's performance will determine career longevity, regardless of who conferred the degree.

Interesting thread. In my career, an online degree would be laughed at.

But I can see how that might be different for other career fields.

But, in the end, one's performance will determine career longevity, regardless of who conferred the degree.

My online degree WAS laughed at when I applied for (and was rejected from) a specific job I really, really wanted. That was my first clue that "not all degrees are created equal."

Mara, you'll get a kick out of this:
My current job had one opening when I applied. Pretty competitive. Came down to me and an applicant from Baystate in Mass. I thought for sure he had it: Former Marine Captain and he was chief resident. Me, I was just a former Marine E-5 and a scruffy resident. But, it came down to where we got our degrees that made the difference and I got it. He and I really hit it off and became good friends and they decided to hire both of us.

I also applied to another place and met a Eli alum interviewer. I told her about my elective time in Yale-New Haven hospital. When she asked me about it and expected me to gush, I told her what I truthfully thought and that interview closed pretty damn quick. My big mouth really shut a lot of doors but it also opened some as well.

New Haven is a dump. The unions, criminals, and politicians have driven most of the light industry out of the area. there are few jobs and the crime rate here is unreal. If it wasn't for the university, this place would be North Camden.

I am only online school for the rest of this year as a means to an end. Overall online schools suck dick in many ways.

My online degree from UNC will say MBA just like in class work. Most government agencies will not use how the degree was achieved as a deciding factor if it is regionally accredited. I'm not talking kalplan or university of Phoenix, I'm talking about penn state, unc, Harvard extension....

A bachelor's from American Military University is sufficient to gain acceptance to Master's programs at an Ivy I'm familiar with, provided the other requirements are met. The key, as demo18c notes, is regional accreditation.

Ooooh....my COMM class gave their 4-minute autobiographical speeches yesterday, and it turns out that one guy is (or claims to be) a former SWCC! I think I may have found a unicorn

Update:

Due to a wacky work schedule since returning from contracting years ago I went to one semester at a B/M school in B.A program. Then I began to work two jobs (the goal of which is getting hired by one, a civil service position). I then returned to an online school in a B.S program because I had the most credits toward the major I am in. In short it sucks. However my dear dear hope is that it looks good on paper to the eye.

When I get one job I will go to a B/M school. Even if I have to take 1 or 2 courses I would rather sit in a classroom and get a B.A degree from a real, B/M, name known school.

Marauder06 , I've heard you talk about the EWSP at Yale. I fired up the Google and did a bit of looking around. I have a few questions that have gone unanswered, perhaps you could help me out, Sir.
-What benefits does this program have to us, as Veterans?
-My GPA upon leaving NC State University (with 48 credit hours) was not good...yeah, we'll go with not good. It's obviously not indicative of my study habits/work ethic now 10 years later, but they're going to see that if I apply. Thoughts?
-I have a negative amount of desire to move to the NW.
-The site says:
As many as eighteen course credits earned at another college or university may be transferred toward the requirements for the bachelor's degree.

"Course credits" means an actual class and not credit hours? So, most classes/courses are 3 credit hours. 3 x 18 = 54 as the max number of credit hours that can/will transfer?
-Same type of question for tuition. $4,700/course credit. Going by: course credit = 1 class. If you take a full load of 5 classes, that's $23,500 per semester. MGIB rate for FY 2013 is $1,564/month. Are you paying out of pocket for the rest? Maybe this relates back to my 1st question.

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks in advance for your help, Sir.

Not sure if anyone has heard about it but I use chegg.com for my books. If its just a course that is taken to check a box it will save you a ton of money by just renting the book opposed to buying it. Also you don't have to worry about getting hosed on the trade in at the school when your course is completed.

I too am doing online classes and should have my Associates after a lot of procrastination on my part. Before I got on with the BOP, I had actually looked into attending Seattle University. Not sure how many PacNW people we have on here, but they have a program where Leadership and Real World experiences will get you into a MBA program (without possessing a Bachelor's Degree). It will require an interview with the Program Recruiter, GMAT test, any transcripts from ungraduate classes attended, and a formal interview after the application is submitted. If anyone in the PacNW wants additional information, I still have the packets, GMAT study guides, and POC's for the program. They do have the Yellow Ribbon program but it is highly competitive according to the Interviewer I talked to.

I want to put in another plug for the Eli Whitney Program and the Warrior Scholar Project that are both run out of Yale. A lot of people might look at a place like Yale and say, "I could never get in there, because <insert weak-ass excuse here>." I'm here to tell you, you CAN get it, if you work hard in advance of applying, and IF you apply! There are at least two former-enlisted veterans in the Eli Whitney program right now, and probably more I don't know about. So if you're a young enlisted person who is willing to work hard both in the service and academically, you have a legit shot at a school like Yale.

To help you make the transition from the military to academia, there is the Warrior Scholar Project. Although this is held at Yale, and it is designed to help veterans get into and be prepared for college, it is NOT designed to help get you into Yale. You'll have to do that on your own. But there is definitely something to be said for physically interacting with professors, students, and staff of an institution you're interested in.

My GPA upon leaving NC State University (with 48 credit hours) was not good...yeah, we'll go with not good. It's obviously not indicative of my study habits/work ethic now 10 years later, but they're going to see that if I apply. Thoughts?

I remember at the school I went to that they had an option after 7 or 8 years you had a one time chance to go back and get a "do over" on your transcript. The intent was to give the people that weren't ready for school the first go around to erase their mistakes and start over. I don't know all the details and don't even know if it is still available because your talking about the early 90's when I was in school.? But it might be worth looking at your old schools policy to see if they have a similar program.

They put the long delay for cleaning your transcript so you couldn't just scrub your transcript and transfer to another school. It seems like you would fit that category but like I said I don't know if that is still an option or even if your school offers that.

Marauder06 , I've heard you talk about the EWSP at Yale. I fired up the Google and did a bit of looking around. I have a few questions that have gone unanswered, perhaps you could help me out, Sir.
-What benefits does this program have to us, as Veterans?
-My GPA upon leaving NC State University (with 48 credit hours) was not good...yeah, we'll go with not good. It's obviously not indicative of my study habits/work ethic now 10 years later, but they're going to see that if I apply. Thoughts?
-I have a negative amount of desire to move to the NW.
-The site says:
"Course credits" means an actual class and not credit hours? So, most classes/courses are 3 credit hours. 3 x 18 = 54 as the max number of credit hours that can/will transfer?
-Same type of question for tuition. $4,700/course credit. Going by: course credit = 1 class. If you take a full load of 5 classes, that's $23,500 per semester. MGIB rate for FY 2013 is $1,564/month. Are you paying out of pocket for the rest? Maybe this relates back to my 1st question.

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks in advance for your help, Sir.

Not sure if I answered this in PM or not, if not:

-The biggest benefit is getting into Yale. The fact that you're a veteran sets you apart from your peers, and it gives you... I hate to use the word "gimmick" because of the negative connotations... anyway it gives you something that makes you different from the thousands of other young men and women who are vying for a spot.
-You know Yale is in the NE, not the NW, right? ;-)
-I'm not in the program so I'm not sure how to answer the next two questions. I do know that between the GIB, the Yellow Ribbon Project, and financial aid from Yale, vets in the program aren't shelling out anything near $23k.
-as far as your earlier GPA... it matters, but I'm guessing it's not terminal. Have you taken any classes since leaving school? If you haven't, start thinking about it. The time you spent academically in the military matters too, esp. if you can get it onto some type of transcript. You need to put up good numbers GPA-wise but your life experiences matter too. Do you have any overseas time yet?

I'm not affiliated with the Eli Whitney Program or the Warrior Scholar Project, I just think they're great opportunities for veterans, and I do love Yale. Best thing to do is pick up the phone and call the program administrators and see what they have to say. Good luck!

Back