Hikers Mountain Lion encounter

That cat looks utterly entertained, and confident. Not threatening, not hungry, not predatory....just entertained and confident. It is confident knowing it owns the land, and entertained as it is watching non-threats in its world. Just like we look at a butterfly.

There are wolves and mountain lions in the area where I deer hunt. Truth-be-told I'd rather encounter a pack of hungry dogs on the trail than one pissed off cat as I climb my tree stand in the dark.
Flashlight looking for shiny eyes all the way up to the tippy top of the branches before I climb up in the dark....

DNR confirms 110-lb. mountain lion killed on road near Bemidji
upload_2017-8-16_12-34-58.png

There are wolves and mountain lions in the area where I deer hunt. Truth-be-told I'd rather encounter a pack of hungry dogs on the trail than one pissed off cat as I climb my tree stand in the dark.
Flashlight looking for shiny eyes all the way up to the tippy top of the branches before I climb up in the dark....

View attachment 19415

:-o That's a big kitty.

Many years ago at Bridgeport we saw tracks on our trail, the claw prints were bigger than my hand, spread out. One of the instructors said the cat to whom those paws were attached was likely 175 pounds; always attack from top-down, and usually from the back. I have never actually seen a cat like that in the wild.

What kind of fool sees a mountain lion cross the trail in front of them, then decides to immediately follow/hike up on it?!

View attachment 19415
I dunno man. I'm pretty sure that death by mountain lion will be a heck of a lot quicker. From what I understand big cats will usually rip out your throat or snap your neck before they eat you. Mountain lions kinda go for a quick kills since they are solitary hunters. Wolves and wild dogs will eat you from the ass end up, you know, they disembowel and eat their prey while it's still alive. Timber wolves suck, smaller variants that eat ground squirrels and other pest animals not so much.

When I was a teenager we climbed from the Temecula Valley up to the Santa Rosa Plateau. A pretty good vertical hike. Halfway up we come across what had to be a mountain lion den. Small bones of rabbits and squirrels everywhere,scat and giant cat prints... there were 5 of us, but we still booked out of there pretty quick.

An old bushie told me not to turn away and not to do anything rash, just brazen it out with dingos. It came to pass that that was good advice. I got bailed up and stared one down for about 5 minutes before it got bored and walked away. That film looks very familiar.

Bogey1.jpg Here's my security guard but I doubt he'd stand a chance against a Mountain Lion or a Wolf. He's strong as hell and I've seen him kill a raccoon and some groundhogs but a Wolf is another story.

There are two animal preserves near Lexington, Va. One is a drive through the park, and the other is a "petting" zoo. One visit several years ago there were two very young female lions. They were manageable enough to allow photos with the young cats on your lap. As the young cats were making their way to the studio I could hear the "big cat" growls and sounds right on the other side of the door. We got the pics of my son and his kids with the cats, but the way they sound is ominous.

There is a large kitty preserve nearby. About twice, maybe three times, a year the local ED gets a worker who got a tad roughed up. The cats left some impressive scars and the plastics and trauma guys made their dough.

I am happy to see them at the zoo and on TV; I have zero desire to get that close to them.

I could hear the "big cat" growls and sounds right on the other side of the door. We got the pics of my son and his kids with the cats, but the way they sound is ominous.
If you've ever heard a mountain lion scream it will raise every hair on the back of your neck. I heard one in the distance once in the wild (never saw it). Damn near pissed myself.

Back