HMMWV Replacement Contestants Down To 3

How come you guys don't put any cardboard or Styrofoam on the windows of that truck? UV will warp and distort the spinel plates through long-term exposure, and it looks like someone used an acid, probably windex or windex like window cleaner on the windows of that vehicle, because of the distorted blots on the "glass". I don't mean to come off like a jackass, but do troops get trained to properly take care of their vehicles? Ballistic Glass isn't actually glass, it's a ceramic composite that is compressed to maximum density and pressure treated then layered. Because of the vacuum between layers holding them together, the least elemental and temperature exposure they recieve, the better off they are. Overtime the windows of that truck will implode by nature, but making the lifespan shorter due to negligence just costs more money and safety than it needs to.

You do realize those vehicles were living in a friggin combat zone at 120*F and the windows were cleaned with whatever polluted groundwater could be found 1/2 the time, right? You do understand the word 'Combat'... or is it not technical enough, there sharpshooter?

It is nice that you have some knowledge, but your post does not come across as somebody who ever spent any time in the military, unless it was in a rear support function.

ETA- maybe the distorted blots are where bullets hit the windows and left a mark?

Last edited:
Ballistic glass varies in construction, and what the military uses is intended for seeing the light of day... When the shit's dirty/fogging up and you need to get from point A to point B and can't see shit, spit/piss/water/windex/loogies are what you use to clean the windshield with the sleeve of your uniform... not some specialized cleaner and nice clean specialty material fabrics that don't exist when you're on a patrol in an armored vehicle in the desert.

I didn't mean to step on anyones toes, my apologies.

Just trying to drag you out of the lab and into the real world... and trust me, the real world is not as pretty as a lab even after an explosion in said lab...

...and never assume that the people you are talking to are idiots and know nothing of your subject matter, you will not impress most crowds with condescending, pseudo intellectual, 'I'm smarter than you' bullshit... some of us actually understand layered composite reactive armor... believe it or not...

Last edited:
Ballistic glass varies in construction, and what the military uses is intended for seeing the light of day... When the shit's dirty/fogging up and you need to get from point A to point B and can't see shit, spit/piss/water/windex/loogies are what you use to clean the windshield with the sleeve of your uniform... not some specialized cleaner and nice clean specialty material fabrics that don't exist when you're on a patrol in an armored vehicle in the desert.

Rip-it's work good...

I'm back after a long hiatus from this website. Have you guys checked out the new GMV 1.1 which USSOCOM has awarded a contract to General Dynamics - Ordnance and Tactical Systems? Public record shows that they are using a modified Flyer Defense design. Officially I am NOT the "SOCOM Chief Vehicle Engineer" if there was such a title. I'm gonna assume that they will have an early version of this vehicle on display at SOFIC next month...hopefully there will be some public release pictures to share at that time.

Kind of old news, I remember AFSOC buying a bunch last summer. And it seems that only SOF types get mobility, and those of us that need stuff for our mission get the finger (Bradley as a Recce Platform).

You became a armored cavalry scout and you complaining that you have a Bradley for a recce vehicle?

LMAO.

If you ever get the chance during your career to put eyes on the enemy, much less have the need to engage that enemy, you will learn to appreciate that Bradley.

You became a armored cavalry scout and you complaining that you have a Bradley for a recce vehicle?

LMAO.

If you ever get the chance during your career to put eyes on the enemy, much less have the need to engage that enemy, you will learn to appreciate that Bradley.

@ThunderHorse -I was a Mech Infantry guy at one time... we had the M113... Cav Scouts had jeeps or CucV's or HMMVs... or shoe leather... don't bitch about the Bradley, it offers speed, firepower and protection... unless you want to go back to horses.

JAB is right.

As a light guy attached to 1st CAV I develop a strong love to seeing a Bradley show up to a fire fight. The Bradley and the Apache are two of the finest fire support assets in an urban environment. That and if I was going to be part of a large scale conventional maneuver war, as a scout or as infantry, I would want that Bradley.

My $.02

What the Bradley can do I like. However for armored recce, I'd rather have the British Scimitar. Smaller profile, fast, big gun. And then since we're in a 3x5 mix I'd like some of the GMV 1.1s.

And damn that turret is small.

Back