How good is the Syrian Military?

So what do you all think? Is Syria really dumb enough to overtly use chem weapons on its own people right now?

I don't put it past anyone anymore, but it makes me wonder: If we invaded Iraq because it "had" WMD and then Syria who really has WMD USES it against its own people...

Amerrricaaaaaaaa, (Insert Mandarin Chinese translation of 'Fuck yeah')!!!!!

I don't put it past anyone anymore, but it makes me wonder: If we invaded Iraq because it "had" WMD and then Syria who really has WMD USES it against its own people...

Amerrricaaaaaaaa, (Insert Mandarin Chinese translation of 'Fuck yeah')!!!!!

Well, you know what happened, right? All those WMDs got moved OUT of Iraq and INTO Syria. Now the Syrians don't want the rebels to capture the WMDs from Iraq and prove Bush right, so they're moving them. With all of the stable, helpful countries bordering Syria, I'm sure they will have no problem getting them covertly out of the country.

Well, you know what happened, right? All those WMDs got moved OUT of Iraq and INTO Syria. Now the Syrians don't want the rebels to capture the WMDs from Iraq and prove Bush right, so they're moving them. With all of the stable, helpful countries bordering Syria, I'm sure they will have no problem getting them covertly out of the country.

We could chase WMD's all over the ME like Billy in the Family Circus cartoon or at the end of the Benny Hill show.

Syria's or Saddam's?

Is Asad moving them out of security concerns? This rebellion certainly seems annoying to the average loyalist Syrian, but I don't think Asad would be so desperate as to acutally use them. He may not want to run the risk of them falling into rebel hands.

I doubt even if we had pictures of Putin and Asad shaking hands with WMD's in the background and their signatures/DNA/fingerprints for authenticity; the public wouldn't believe it.

Shit that's a run on sentence. lol

Fox is reporting that there is anticipation of "something big" about to happen in Damascus; big as in maybe the government is about to collapse. I also saw that suicide bombers got their SECDEF (or was it their Chairman of the Joint Chiefs equivalent?). At any rate, looks like things are about to "get real" in Syria.

Fox is reporting that there is anticipation of "something big" about to happen in Damascus; big as in maybe the government is about to collapse. I also saw that suicide bombers got their SECDEF (or was it their Chairman of the Joint Chiefs equivalent?). At any rate, looks like things are about to "get real" in Syria.

The Red Cross finally declared it a war this week. Thanks guys! It was nothing until then...

Did they say it was a a civil war? If so, then everyone is going to start crying about "responsibility to protect," the UN (i.e. the US) is then going to get involved, and extremists everywhere are going to thank us for toppling yet another semi-secular strong man and turning yet another country into a haven for religious zealots.

Well then, you can expect to start hearing the clamoring for "responsibility to protect," or as I am starting to consider it, "why is it my" responsibility to protect.

Well then, you can expect to start hearing the clamoring for "responsibility to protect," or as I am starting to consider it, "why is it my" responsibility to protect.

There's a scene in Red Dawn where after the AF Colonel is shot down the kids are asking him about the war. One of them says something like "What about the rest of Europe?" The Col. replies that they figured two world wars in the same century was enough so they are going to "sit this one out."

I'm starting to wonder how many "police actions" we need before we sit one out.

What's in it for us?

There's a scene in Red Dawn where after the AF Colonel is shot down the kids are asking him about the war. One of them says something like "What about the rest of Europe?" The Col. replies that they figured two world wars in the same century was enough so they are going to "sit this one out."

What's in it for us?
We are not there yet; we will sit it out when the welfare checks start bouncing, and not before that.

What's in it for us?

Part of the problem, IMO, is that most of the people making the decisions to intervene militarily 1) have never served in the armed forces, in any capacity, much less in combat; and 2) never have to pay a price in any meaningful way when their decision to intervene goes off the rails. So "doing something" plays well with their electoral base (which, by the way, have never served and don't have to pay a meaningful price, either) and makes for good sound bites on the international news, without consideration of the unintended consequences of those actions, even if the intervention is successful.

I strongly dislike the government of Syria, but I dislike Islamic extremists, which are the mostly alternative (just like in Egypt), even more.

Back