How to become a Special Forces officer?

youngdumbbroke95

Unverified
Aside from me asking about joining the cyber community in the military another field that I have interest in is Army special forces. After doing some research online I read that Green Beret officers usually start out as a another mos specifically infantry and can apply for SFAS as a 1LT. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this true or is it possible for me to get a SF slot after officer candidate school?

Aside from me asking about joining the cyber community in the military another field that I have interest in is Army special forces. After doing some research online I read that Green Beret officers usually start out as a another mos specifically infantry and can apply for SFAS as a 1LT. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this true or is it possible for me to get a SF slot after officer candidate school?

Officers serve at least 2-3 years in a basic branch before attending SFAS. So for you, it'll be OCS, followed by BOLC, service in your basic branch then applying for selection. There is a no longer an Officers Accessions Board "paper board" for SFAS. It is now done on rolling admission basis, "letting selection select."

Infantry or combat arms service is helpful but we have officers from all branches who were assessed, selected, and became Green Berets. Ranger School or Sapper School is absolutely helpful. Competence, proficiency, and knowledge of the fundamentals of patrolling will serve you well. Of course, be physically fit enough to complete the events. Push yourself physically so it'll push you emotionally.

Is there an age limit for SFAS?

You are getting some pretty high-powered attention here. At a minimum you should do the research that you can on your own, are you not capable of Googling that question?

How about, "Sir, I see from my research that the max age for SFAS is "X". Are you aware of any ways a person who is "Y" could still have an opportunity to attend?"

Don't ask the site to spoon feed you.

I appreciate all the information given to me in the previous post, but since we're on the topic I'm currently 24 and the age limit for SF is 20-30. With that being said is there still a possibility for me at this point?

I appreciate all the information given to me in the previous post, but since we're on the topic I'm currently 24 and the age limit for SF is 20-30. With that being said is there still a possibility for me at this point?

That is the age limit for the 18X program. For officers, I know more than a few who were past 30 during SFAS and the Q-Course. At 24, you're at a good age for OCS, etc.

@youngdumbbroke95 keep us posted on your progress.

Last edited:
Back