Impending government shutdown

Devildoc

Verified Military
While I have not been living under a rock, I purposely have not been watching or listening to any news lately. All it does is make me sad, and enough of you people do that to me as it is.

But I have been paying enough attention to know what's going on with the possible impending shutdown. I am also smart enough to know that both sides are culpable. But I saw this and thought it was just interesting.

Screenshot_20230929-160827.png

I just hope these millionaire crooks that caused this continue to get paid - if they don't get paid because of us peasants lord knows they'll REALLY fuck us good

No worries there, members of the House and Senate will continue to get paid their salaries regardless of what happens....unfortunately it's always been that way, not sure why.

Was curious....so looked it up.

"The reason is because of how their pay is treated under the Constitution and federal law. Article I, Section 6 of the Constitution states: "The Senators and Representatives shall receive a Compensation for their Services, to be ascertained by Law, and paid out of the Treasury of the United States." This means they must get paid whether or not other parts of the government are funded.

Pursuant to that section, members' pay rate is set by a process established by federal law, and the 27th Amendment says any law to change their pay can't take effect until after the next congressional election. Lawmakers' pay has been funded by a permanent appropriation since 1983, according to a recent Congressional Research Service report, meaning funding for their pay doesn't need to be renewed annually.

Most members earn a salary of $174,000 per year, a rate that has not changed since 2009. The speaker of the House earns $223,500, while the president pro tempore of the Senate and the party leaders in both chambers make $193,400."

Of course, IMHO, they don't need the salary.....they make more from what they have gotten from their positions in govt, not salary.

Does Congress get paid during a government shutdown?

As I understand the Republican holdouts are for two reasons, one is they want to separate the money for Ukraine into a separate vote, and they want to separate money for border security. I know, I know, what are those crazy people thinking?

Jim LaPorta and the entirety of the Defense Industrial Media are clearly liberals. I called him out on his bullshit and he wouldn't respond...but plenty of his left wing shills did.

Last year, the congress criminals passes an omnibus bill that was 1.8T in funding and had a bunch of shit in it that also funded nonsense like tranny research. It was a dirty ass bill. It provided less funding to the VA and cut VA benefits for future beneficiaries.

We've never had a shut down that is real, essential personnel still have to report to duty...this thing never stops as legally we somehow have over 4 million essential personnel across the government.

Think about this, we haven't had a balance budget since Clinton was in office. He had a Republican Congress. And the late 90s were glorious.

What I find funny are Democrats lambasting the Republicans who won't sign the CR...ignoring that most of their own party aren't signing the CR.

I just know if the government doesn't shut down I have to go cancel a doctor's and dentist's appointment. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get an appointment with my dentist on short notice?

I know the guys I work with have to report to work as usual. If there is a shutdown, they will get back pay....but, bills still have to get paid on time. It can be rough for the average worker.

Back