In regards to my thesis..

I also thought there was gun camera footage (that got out on the internet) from either an A-10 or a Tornado taking one out in the midst of a launch. I will see if I can find it. My memory could very well be failing me on that one but I will do some digging.

Plus my reference is all hearsay since the intel folks snagged up the film as soon as I used up a roll. The shadow and got everything as soon as it came out of the camera.

thinking about it now, I guess they could have been decoy's, especially since I am not sure I would have known the difference anyhow. Not sure how real the decoys looked.

So what ever happened to all those missiles and launchers then if we never tagged them during the campaign? I personally find it hard to believe we did not get a single active launcher and missile. But that is just opinion.

I gotta believe with our Intel/Recon airborne and space based platforms even if we missed the missile we should have been able to see the launch/launcher almost immediately after lift-off. But I am just thinking out loud! I am by no means an expert!

http://www.airforcehistory.hq.af.mil/Publications/Annotations/gwaps.htm

http://www.rand.org/pubs/monograph_reports/MR1408/MR1408.ch3.pdf

ASSESSING THE EFFECTIVENESS OF THE SCUD HUNT
In the immediate aftermath of the war, British and American political
and military leaders announced that coalition operations had effectively
neutralized the Scud threat. Senior U.S. SOF officers claimed
that U.S. teams operating in western Iraq were responsible for the
destruction of as many as a dozen mobile TELs.47 A year after the
war’s end, however, Pentagon officials began expressing public
doubt about the number of Scud TELs actually eliminated by coalition
forces. In the words of Pete Williams, the assistant secretary of
defense for public affairs, there was “no accurate count of how many
mobile launchers had been destroyed.” The Pentagon’s postwar
study on Gulf air operations, the Gulf War Air Power Survey, concluded
that sensor limitations on coalition aircraft, combined with highly effective Iraqi tactics, resulted in relatively few mobile
launcher kills. According to the report,
a few [TELs] may have been destroyed, but nowhere near the numbers
reported during the war . . . . [T]here is no indisputable proof
that Scud mobile launchers—as opposed to high-fidelity decoys,
trucks, or other objects with Scud-like signatures—were destroyed
by fixed-wing aircraft.

Some new questions:
What were the names of the 3 Delta and 3 Nightstalkers that died in the first Gulf War. I had the picture saved of the USASOC memorial wall that had names and dates, but my PC crashed and now I cant find it online.

Second question: Sgt. 1st Class Robert K. McGee of 1st SFG
The only thing that I find is that he died in his hotel room, and that the causes are STILL under investigation 5 years later..
What can anybody tell me?

Back