In Search of Wisdom

Six-Two

Unverified
Hello Everybody,

Here for a few specific goals. I'm strongly considering going out for an SOF position in the next 12 months. The notion of being somebody who's been tested as thoroughly as any man can be and thriving throughout has always appealed to me, and civilian malaise has kicked in to damn-near the point of no return.

That said, I'm here to try to narrow down my choices. I'm most interested in Army SF, Navy SWCC or SEAL, and the French Foreign Legion. I don't know if SS is home to any FFL vets, but if so, all the better. Primary questions are the differences in the experiences and tasks I'm likely to encounter with each, and the differences in skills I'll learn from one to another. Camaraderie, capability, self-reliance, and level-headedness are all paramount as far as what I wish to get in return for my time with whichever branch I elect to apply for.

I'm gonna be doing a bit of exploring around the site so as not to make any redundant questions (frowned upon here as much as anywhere else, I'm sure), but I wanted to introduce myself and give a quick wave to the welcome wagon while I'm at it (don't worry, I'll try not to make eye contact).

As a bit of background on myself, I was born in LA, but grew up everywhere from mainland Europe to Australia. I speak three languages, though I doubt any would be of much use to SOF jobs. I'm working on a fourth and fifth. I've solo-traveled through India and Europe, worked in Brazil, and volunteered for three months in post-Katrina New Orleans.

I'm not sure if it's shown up on my badge yet, but as a symbol of commitment, I've contributed at the $25 level to SS and donated an additional $10 to the current drive.

With an open mind and eternal respect,

Six-Two

Thanks, gang. Already amazed by the knowledge contained herein. Sounds like Army SF would be the best use of my facility with language and ability to integrate with new cultures, but God knows I've got plenty of reading to get through on this site alone. Looking forward to talking with you all in greater depth.

LA as in yuppie douches in BMWs and the world's best Mexican food. I did spend a fair amount of time in the latter after Katrina, though. Are you from either?

Just thought I would ask. There are a few differences between the locations; so I've been lead to believe.

NOLA definitely has a place in my heart. Great food, great people, great spirit. Then again, the tacos leave much to be desired. But definitely a special place.

Back