In the absence of a proper snake bite kit

My biggest bitch was that they never let me clear a jam on the range, if you never do it then you will not react.

JMHO

I saw this a couple of weeks ago. We were shooting on the range (not KD, the EMP/CMP thing) and the Marine to my right kept having FTF malfunctions. From the very first one, he'd stop dead (no pun intended) and turn to look at the PSO. After the third or fourth time, I wore into him. I asked him (amongst all my yelling)...

"Is that corporal going to be walking behind you in combat?"

"No, Top"

"Then WTF are you looking at him when your weapon doesn't work?"

He improved from that point on, but the mentality of "if you have a problem, raise your hand and wait for a coach" that we're taught on the KD range is a very hard habit to break.

fuck that noise

I got wacked on the nug with a rock if I had malfunctions and didn't clear them in time to still get expert

Excellent thread..I'm lucky that St Paddy kicked all the Snake's sorry ass's outta here!..

It was ridiculous how they were so scared of being sued - or getting bad press - they actively interfered with senior NCOs calling SPORTS to us....ALL of us. NO ONE on a weapon was allowed to clear a jammed weapon except the Range NCOs...

Anyway, it was a good brief. Water was running high on the river and alot of brush is underwater for the first time in 2 years ---excellent snake breeding ground. Only bad mistake I made was that I had the wrong shoes and I pretty much knew that. I didn't have time to get some good ones, but I lucked out. I was glad to have the info fresh in my mind.

But, someone yelled out another myth I haven't heard in ages. I heard someone yell out today that snakes can't bite underwater. I thought that was a myth?

Pictures to follow later. I had to take a disposable camera. MIne is not waterproof. So I gotta get them developed. Excellent day on the water tho...we had 61 people tubing down the Brazos today!

Please try and keep the thread on topic, otherwise start a new thread.

snakebite

yea a snake bite is an awsome cocktail, but aside from that current medical practice for snakebite injury is:
• make sure snake has fucked off!
• relax casualty
• DO NOT wash bite area [so we can swab the bite and find out what antivenom to use].
• NO NOT use tourniquet, unless you know what you are doing an/ or a long way off from medical care. Touniquets can promote blood flow to the site if not on correctly!
• Apply a pressure bandage, from toes to groin/ fingers to armpit
• splint the limb
• If you have the kit, get a large bore IV up, use Saline or Ringers.

there you go, no sucking......no cutting and no tourniquet:doh:

Over the years I've watched the suggested treatments come and go. From what little I know, the latest suggested general protocols follow exactly what Medic1 has written above.

However there are a couple of new and completely unsubstantiated treatments that are floating around. Number 1 is that if any venom is going to be extracted, one has to do it within the first three minutes. The faster one gets to the bite and applies suction, the better the results. But supposedly after three minutes, trying to effectively extract any venom is pretty much a waste of time.

Second, either way it's good to try to restrict blood flow to the sight by placing an elastic band (Ranger bands are great for this) or elastic bandage directly over the bite site itself. This constriction on the bite site itself is suggested to be made over any clothing (pants/shirts) that may normally cover the wound area.

Lastly, a really odd 'trick' has worked for a few people who have used stun guns (or other electrical resources) to shock the bite area once or twice. This got started down in Central America where people found they could neutralize the effects of bee stings this way. Supposedly, this method has worked for 40 or 50 people so far, but it hasn't for others and is completely unproven.

However while I generally don't travel around with a stun gun, if I found I had access to one after being bitten, I think I'd have someone pop me on the bite site and again somewhere a couple of inches above the bite between the heart and the wound. Hey, if nothing else, it might take my mind off the burning sensation of the bite :eek:

9 years ago this 03Oct I was bitten on the foot by a rattlesnake, timber variety, 1 each. Having been raised in the country and being used to the bastards, one knows that remaining calm is of utmost imprtance.

Offending reptile was pinned to the ground, headfirst, with a standard spade, foot was iced, Pop was called, transport to ER ensued. Antivenin was NOT given at any time of my hospital stay. Depending of severity and location of the bite, medical officials make the decision whether or not to administer the potion.

1 week in the hospital, a semester of lost college hours later, my left foot still hurts when really cold out and is but slightly larger than its counterpart- all this without antivenin.

9 years ago this 03Oct I was bitten on the foot by a rattlesnake, timber variety, 1 each. Having been raised in the country and being used to the bastards, one knows that remaining calm is of utmost imprtance.

Offending reptile was pinned to the ground, headfirst, with a standard spade, foot was iced, Pop was called, transport to ER ensued. Antivenin was NOT given at any time of my hospital stay. Depending of severity and location of the bite, medical officials make the decision whether or not to administer the potion.

1 week in the hospital, a semester of lost college hours later, my left foot still hurts when really cold out and is but slightly larger than its counterpart- all this without antivenin.

Calm? Calm? Not a chance.:bleh::eek:

How did they get the poison out or did it just work through your system?

I was told in Africa if you get bitten, take a seat in the shade & get someone else to go for help (if possible).

Calm? Calm? Not a chance.:bleh::eek:

How did they get the poison out or did it just work through your system?

Psht, like the poisons ever left, Cube? }:-)

IV's, antibiotics, and lots of pain meds, in addition to the venom just working its way through my system.

I was feverish and swollen for the first 4 days, but my foot remained ex-treme-ly swollen for about 3 months.

And calm is my forte. >:{

Honestly, there isn't too much over there than can fuck you, Black Mamba was the one we feared, 20 min until your heart stops, I had one in the facility I worked, the hospital was 20 min away and the nearest anti-venom was about 24 hours away, hope like hell the iron lung was working and free that day! lol

Aussie is a different story, that place is a fucking nightmare of things that'll fuck you up bad!

Out of the top 10 most poisonous snakes in the world, Aussie has 8 of the 10 including the Number 1, the Brown snake.

I was never afraid of snakes before I got bit, and they didn't bother me. Now, I'm still not afraid, but I do prefer them dead and in pieces- and ensure that they are both, with more emphasis on the latter.

Back