Infantry Automatic Rifle to replace M249

I don't think that mag fed isn't necessarily a bad thing if you are lugging around the 100 round drums like the M4's are capable of carrying. But, whatever the replacement may be, I think it should have the option of being able to use a mag (like the SAW has).

I always thought the SAW was fucking garbage. Only a couple of pnds lighter than a 60 and about the same size.

A 240b is a solid weapon but you give a guy a MK 48 which is still 7.62 belt fed and you can have an effective gunner who could move as well as any SAW gunner could. A MK46 and MK48 are both effective, reliable, strong, and light weapon systems. Why hump an older heavy model of a machine gun up and down mountains or through city streets when you could cut the load of the weapon to toss on some extra rounds.

You guys are comparing apples to oranges. I loved the SAW, and it is not meant for the purposes the 240 is meant for. As for carrying the pig, fuck that. Shooting it works for me , however ;)

I was just trying to find a particular photo of a Rhodesian Soldier who had removed the bipod from his M240, using it slung from the hip.

Couldn't find it but found this one...

Attachments

• rli2.jpg
    rli2.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 69
You guys are comparing apples to oranges. I loved the SAW, and it is not meant for the purposes the 240 is meant for. As for carrying the pig, fuck that. Shooting it works for me , however ;)

Ditto. I always thought the M60 was WAY heavier and WAY longer than than the M249... plus you had to tote a bipod and a T&E, and the only thing that could shoot M60 ammo in the platoon, were the M60s.

Ditto. I always thought the M60 was WAY heavier and WAY longer than than the M249... plus you had to tote a bipod and a T&E, and the only thing that could shoot M60 ammo in the platoon, were the M60s.
When I was in Panama for OJC, I threw the tripod and the T&E into the fucking jungle.:) They may have their uses, but not for anything we did mission wise.

60's lighter than the 240, lower rate of fire, no cam roller detent.... easier to change barrels on the 240 as well.

but once again, a 240 or a 60 are not 249's.... There's things you can do to make a SAW better than what it's current design is, but to be honest it does what it's used for extremely well.

Kind of odd. Back in WW !! the BAR was sort of a mag fed SAW...but a big 30.06 with a lot of range and crunch power. A machine gun with a 30 rd mag and a .22 cal bullet is hardly a boost from a full auto M16 and would seem less of a boost than a SAW with belt feed or some sort of M14 update.

A lot of modern conflicts the troops may not often be 100 yd from the Humvee,Striker or ? that brought them. It's not like humping ammo for 2 weeks in the hills.

Firing from a belt...you can make the hostiles hit the dirt,go to cover...NOT be aimming and shooting. That lets your team aim and shoot and heads as they pop up. You also don't wanna be 20 guys and have 200 hostiles running at you,guns blazing and you have to keep grabbing for magazines.

I'd probably rather see a 7.62 mag fed,added rather than the light SAW deleted. In recent years,the enemy has tended to be semi-pros with AK 47's,and that's a mix that's not too effective beyond 200 yd..if that. If the squad has a weapon that's quite good at 300 yd.....well..that has to be a plus. You also get the ability to punch through whatever the enemy is behind. I would not suggest each squad has a full-on sniper with a bolt action shooting at 800m range, but there's a role for a mid-range marksman. The Russian's Dragunov wasn't designed to be a 800+ meter super sniper,was made to be accurate at 300-500 m. It seems that needs in Iraq have brought the M 14 back into service and some Knight's too. A good aimed kill at 200 m + is handy if the other guys are spraying AK's with more volume than accuracy. It's also nice if one of the enemy has a Dragunov and a good location.

Your'e talking through a hole in your ass, you have no idea what you are talking about.
Where did you get all this wonderful knowledge from?
Airsoft school?

Your'e out of your lane.

Kind of odd. Back in WW !! the BAR was sort of a mag fed SAW...but a big 30.06 with a lot of range and crunch power. A machine gun with a 30 rd mag and a .22 cal bullet is hardly a boost from a full auto M16 and would seem less of a boost than a SAW with belt feed or some sort of M14 update.

A lot of modern conflicts the troops may not often be 100 yd from the Humvee,Striker or ? that brought them. It's not like humping ammo for 2 weeks in the hills.

Firing from a belt...you can make the hostiles hit the dirt,go to cover...NOT be aimming and shooting. That lets your team aim and shoot and heads as they pop up. You also don't wanna be 20 guys and have 200 hostiles running at you,guns blazing and you have to keep grabbing for magazines.

I'd probably rather see a 7.62 mag fed,added rather than the light SAW deleted. In recent years,the enemy has tended to be semi-pros with AK 47's,and that's a mix that's not too effective beyond 200 yd..if that. If the squad has a weapon that's quite good at 300 yd.....well..that has to be a plus. You also get the ability to punch through whatever the enemy is behind. I would not suggest each squad has a full-on sniper with a bolt action shooting at 800m range, but there's a role for a mid-range marksman. The Russian's Dragunov wasn't designed to be a 800+ meter super sniper,was made to be accurate at 300-500 m. It seems that needs in Iraq have brought the M 14 back into service and some Knight's too. A good aimed kill at 200 m + is handy if the other guys are spraying AK's with more volume than accuracy. It's also nice if one of the enemy has a Dragunov and a good location.

Back