Inside the brutal ‘Crucible’ training where Marine recruit Dalton Beals lost his life

RIP recruit. Sad for his mom.

There may be another side to this story but on the face of it it sounds pretty fucked up.

I know his mother is grieving, but to say not to join the Marines until changes are made is an unrealistic expectation.

Well, let's just start with pay increases in order to compete with the market as a start.

ETA: It's definitely a fair remark to make when you've just lost your son because an SDI was willfully negligent in carrying out his duties. (dereliction of duty)

On topic, Incentive Training during the Crucible, no matter the weather sounds like stupidity. The SDI probably deserves to be court martialed for that nonsense.

Last edited:
Well, let's just start with pay increases in order to compete with the market as a start.

ETA: It's definitely a fair remark to make when you've just lost your son because an SDI was willfully negligent in carrying out his duties. (dereliction of duty)

On topic, Incentive Training during the Crucible, no matter the weather sounds like stupidity. The SDI probably deserves to be court martialed for that nonsense.
IT during the Crucible is the standard though.

I remember when we were going through a couple weeks of black flag days. Our thrash-master of a PL made us start doing our PT at 0400. He just couldn't handle us not doing PT for the day. Great lesson in improvising, adapting, and overcoming....

Curiously, the thread isn’t about the Army or Army standards…

Touché. However, here are the Marine Corps standards: Flag Conditions

Black90 and Above
Physical training and strenuous exercise suspended for all personnel (excludes operational commitment not for training purposes).

So pretty sure, Dereliction of Duty was committed by several members of the CoC.

The Marines never, ever PT or do outdoor activities on black flag days (said with dripping sarcasm).

A lot to process so withholding comment until I learn more or process. I will say that 1950 Feres Doctrine? Doesn't mean anything, and is not always applicable.

Is it? You haven't gone through basic training in 20 years. In the Army, when the black flag is up and you're in the field your movements and actions are severely restricted.
Your post didn’t say they shouldn’t do it on Black Flag days, just that regardless of the weather is stupid. I don’t disagree with you that IT during black flags is wrong.

Back