Intel and Comms?

Nothing against the average Joe, but I wouldn't want him filling his own radio. I'd rather, at the risk of micromanaging, have a Signal soldier do it or one POC for each unit. If things go south, you have one guy to ask questions of rather than "Okay, who filled your radio and from what device?" In other words, minimize your variables for failure/ troubleshooting.

Going off the original post, and from my job. Doing this the last 6 years I would definitely say COMM/SIG is definitely a secondary duty. You have to know and understand how standard communications work in order to successfully exploit it. The basic principles apply on both sides of the house and if you know this you can successfully employ a collection management plan that will provide you the "biggest bang for you buck." Besides most S-6s I walk into are only cleared to handle Secret information and if I need to transmit anything higher I have to establish communications to do it myself. In my opinion, bottom line if you are a 26xx, 35(x), CT(x) or a 1n(x) you need to know COMM/SIG. I don't believe every intelligence individual in the military should have this notional secondary duty, to me it just doesn't make sense for them to have such an in-depth knowledge and know-how of COMM/SIG.

Not hard, but not necessarily a common soldier task either. Besides, the commo guys are usually the ones that have the kyk anyways.
And KYKs are easy, but also easy to drop the fill from.

Being familiar in basic comm stuff, mostly networking, will save you a ton of time that would be otherwise spent waiting for a guy from the 6.
Being able to speek geek will save a lot of time, effort and an-ergy (angry energy).
Army/SOF Support Weather Guys had to set their own RATT Rigs up, then (transition) figure the GOLDWING and (moving on) SOCRATES systems out. The teams with a commo smart NCO prospered, those without floundered. That commo smart guy got the systems setup so G6 could do the final switch flip; he also knew when the 6 team was blowing smoke up our asses.

So yes, comm is an additional job, for everyone, not just the Com Guys/Contractors.

The KOI-18...pulling the damn tape through over and over and over.....and then the next tape reads on the first pass.

I did like the KYK, if only because it was simple and small.

Got rid of our last KYK-13s a few months ago. The CYZ-10 and SKL sucked crazy monkeyballs. I'd love to throw them all high into the air and use them as clays. So far, the KIK-30 (RASKL) seems to be okay...

Got rid of our last KYK-13s a few months ago. The CYZ-10 and SKL sucked crazy monkeyballs. I'd love to throw them all high into the air and use them as clays. So far, the KIK-30 (RASKL) seems to be okay...

I haven't seen it yet, looks awesome. The SKL is definitely not simple (compared to an ANCD or KIK-13).

Back