Intro + Background

Aspen_Sun

Unverified
Good evening everyone,

My name is Avery. To jump right into it, I'm a 19 year old guy from West Michigan who's goal is to become a Pararescueman.

I recently stumbled across the forum by accident. While doing some research on AF bases and the difference between Rescue/ST Squadrons, I found a really in-depth post on one of the forums here. Before I knew it, I was reading about all sorts of different topics and coming across a plethora of great information from the community. I thought it would be really cool to sign up because it's a resource for learning and engaging in the community; I had never heard of this platform before and there's a bunch of solid information within all of the topics.

I am currently in the Special Warfare Development program along with give or take a dozen other folks from around the Mid-West. Looking to ship out around the later months of summer. Without giving you a whole "life-story" post... I work as a Nurse Technician at a local hospital, I live with my mother and brother, and I feel a calling to this challenge.

I feel deeply drawn to serve in the military -and specifically as a PJ- for a few reasons. Some are personal and family-related, but my main "why" is to help others in need and make a positive impact in their life. The capabilities of SW Airmen are unlike anything else I have ever heard of, and the opportunity to try out for such an elite group of guys (in any 4 of the AFSC's) would be the opportunity of a lifetime. In the summer of 2019, I had the honor of attending a course called Pararescue & Survival (S.E.R.E.) Orientation Course, aka PJOC in Albuquerque NM. It's offered through a program called Civil Air Patrol, and graduating that course led by two PJ's and two S.E.R.E. Instructors made me realize that this is something I want to do as a career.

If you've stuck around this far, thank you for your time. I look forward to reading and learning more about Special Operations as a whole.
- Avery

Back