Intro

sennister

Unverified
Hello everyone.

I spent a little over 10 years in the Army (Infantry) most of which was on AD. A little over a year in the Reserves 3/3 INF. When that unit deactivated because all Infantry units were moved to the NG, I opted to go AD rather than change MOS. Spend 6 years in Germany at 1/4 INF OPFOR. That was an interesting time. Transitioning to the NG and started the process to change my MOS to 67T. I was assigned to 2/247 Assault Helicopter Battalion. However to become a Crew Chief I had to go back to AIT. They wouldn't send me to AIT as an NCO and was told I would have to take an administrative bust to E4. Yeah, not going to happen. So I was an 11B in a 67T slot so I couldn't get promoted, but they would let me be a door gunner on the UH1-H and later UH-60. That was pretty fun for a while. Eventually got fed up being in a dead end stalemate. Unit wanted to send me to Warrant Officer School and Flight School, I wasn't sure I wanted to commit to that. By then I was nearing graduation from college and was going to be making a lot more in the civ side as was starting to get settled down as I got married. Then I got the news that I couldn't collect my VA disability and NG Check. I had to give one back. Well that is easy the disability check is bigger than the guard check. For the heck of it I tossed in my promotion packet. The unit was wondering why I was doing that as I wasn't MOS Qualified. I told the admin guy to look at it again and then he noticed I was applying for one of the 11B slots. Since I was competing against mostly guys that had been NG their entire career I was at the top of the list for 11Bs here. I was transferred to 34INF Division HQ. That was a mistake. I only had a few months left in that enlistment but I hate staff jobs. I enjoyed field time as a grunt and hated garrison. That was why I liked the OPFOR assignment in Germany. We were in the field around 300 days a year. Since I was doing this and not getting paid for it, I decided it was time to get out. I was at about 10.5 years total.

Now I am in the DAV and after going to my 3rd meeting I was elected Jr Vice Commander. They tried to get me to take the Commander position but I didn't know anything about them. It is a good bunch of guys so far.

Back