Intro

esmall40

Unverified
Hello everyone,

I have no prior military service, but I've been lurking through these forums for a while now soaking in whatever knowledge I could. I finally decided I don't want to be the "I almost served but..." guy that knows a ton but never experienced anything so I enlisted in the Marine Corps. I'm going to be on the older side going in at 26 but I'm excited for the new experience and challenge.

When do you leave for boot camp? Parris Island or San Diego? What MOS? Why the Marine Corps over the other services?

At 26, be prepared to start out as a squad leader in boot camp. The DIs will be expecting you to bring a lot of maturity to the platoon. You will be blown away at the difference between how an 18YO deals with boot camp and how you deal with boot camp. I joined the Corps at 17 and I'm still amazed at how stupid I was.

When do you leave for boot camp? Parris Island or San Diego? What MOS? Why the Marine Corps over the other services?

At 26, be prepared to start out as a squad leader in boot camp. The DIs will be expecting you to bring a lot of maturity to the platoon. You will be blown away at the difference between how an 18YO deals with boot camp and how you deal with boot camp. I joined the Corps at 17 and I'm still amazed at how stupid I was.

November, San Diego, infantry, and I'm from a family of Marines. I considered the army for a while but I've always wanted to be a Marine and figured I'd I'm going to finally do it, it may as well be the one I intended on from the beginning. I'm aware there's going to be a gap in the way I deal with things versus an 18 year old straight out of high school. I just plan on doing my best to set a good example for them since I'll probably be the grandpa of the group. Thanks for the reply!

November, San Diego, infantry, and I'm from a family of Marines. I considered the army for a while but I've always wanted to be a Marine and figured I'd I'm going to finally do it, it may as well be the one I intended on from the beginning. I'm aware there's going to be a gap in the way I deal with things versus an 18 year old straight out of high school. I just plan on doing my best to set a good example for them since I'll probably be the grandpa of the group. Thanks for the reply!
Good stuff. The oldest dude in my platoon (1088) was 28 years old. He seemed ancient to me. 8-)

Back