Intro.

dmcgill

Infantry Marine
Verified Military
Hey all,

I'm in the Navy, stationed on an amphibious assault ship in Virginia. Been in a little over 4 years...I just got back from a year in Afghanistan on an IA deployment with the Army. In 8 months I'll be crossing over to their side via the Blue to Green program, still undecided whether or not I want a Ranger contract or infantry. I came here I guess to find out more about the Rangers and to try to figure out if that's the life I want.

Welcome to SS! There are a ton of Rangers on here! I don't know how old you are; however, IMO being of an older age could be a handicap in starting a career in a Ranger, BN. A career as an Airborne Infantryman in one of the exixting Airborne Infantry units might be a better choice for you. (82nd Airborne, 173rd, etc.)

Welcome,
Does Blue to Green allow you a choice on MOS?

Thanks for the welcome guys, yes the program allows you to choose whatever you want that's available. As far as that goes it's like any other guy coming in off the street. It just allows you to switch over to the Army without having a break in service.

Welcome to SS! There are a ton of Rangers on here! I don't know how old you are; however, IMO being of an older age could be a handicap in starting a career in a Ranger, BN. A career as an Airborne Infantryman in one of the exixting Airborne Infantry units might be a better choice for you. (82nd Airborne, 173rd, etc.)

Thank you, I'm 23 and will be 24 once I start in the Army. I was thinking maybe I should enlist with an 11B contract and try to go to RASP later on if I want but after doing more research that didn't look like a very good idea...so right now I'm just trying to decide if the Ranger lifestyle is what I really want. Why is being older a handicap? I know of guys who enlisted in the Army with Option 40 and were almost 30.

Thanks for the welcome guys, yes the program allows you to choose whatever you want that's available. As far as that goes it's like any other guy coming in off the street. It just allows you to switch over to the Army without having a break in service.

Do you have to do Basic when you transfer over from Blue to Green? Oh and welcome, I'm new as well.

Do you have to do Basic when you transfer over from Blue to Green? Oh and welcome, I'm new as well.

Yes.

For a long time there was a "Warrior Transition Course" that taught the service member basic soldiering skills and got them familiar with the Army and it's ways of doing things, but there hasn't been enough people every year to warrant the cost of the course, so now everyone goes through Army basic, what location depends on your MOS.

Yes.

For a long time there was a "Warrior Transition Course" that taught the service member basic soldiering skills and got them familiar with the Army and it's ways of doing things, but there hasn't been enough people every year to warrant the cost of the course, so now everyone goes through Army basic, what location depends on your MOS.

That's what I was thinkin, a few of my Marine friends, when they transitioned to Army, said they didn't have to go through Basic, but goin Army to Marine you have to do Marine basic.

Hi. I'm new to the site, but find it really great to connect with others here that have the same experience and hope to see and share some great stories. On the Ranger vs Infantry, go Ranger. If you have the option, though, you reallys should think about going SF instead (the old recruiter in me is talking here). If you have a really good skill set to take with you from the Navy, you should capitalize on it. Ranger can be considered the elite of the infantry (they are the elite of the infantry) and if you want the best in infantry, go that way, but if you want to pick up some technical training to go with that, consider SF. And what ever option you choose, make sure it is explicitly spelled out on your contract. Verbal agreements are not binding.

Back