Introduction to MDMP

Etype

Special Forces
Verified SOF
If you google MILITARY DECISION MAKING PROCESS, you'll come up with plenty of results to compound on this.

What I'd like to introduce to you is step 3, or course of action(COA) development. This is what batallion staffs and above, and ODAs use when they receive a mission. Even though in today's GWOT the COA is already mapped out for you, it's good to go through the motions to develop an understanding. Here, we're going to be applying it to career paths.

So, one of the most important things about COAs is that they must be obviously distinguishable from one another.

ex. 1 (how not to do it) COA 1- I'm going to join the Army as an 18X and be an SF Engineer.
COA 2- I'm going to join the Army as an 18X and be an SF Medic.
Bad, they are both hinging on a single point of failure.
ex. 2 COA 1- I'm going to join the Army as an 18X and be an SF Engineer.
COA 2- I'm going to join the Army as an 18X and be the best Airborne Infantryman I can be.
Good, we're still assuming the risk of making it through jump school- but that's pretty easy, especially after basic. Being a great infantryman can still be a blast and there's plenty of stuff for you to do there. Some people love being an NCO in charge of soldiers, I did. Some people get a kick out of being a jumpmaster, some guys just love the 82nd (guilty again).
So, for a little historic comparison-
Invasion of Afghanistan vs. Both Invasions of Iraq. The SOF/Surgical option was on the table for both, and was definitely also used in Iraq, but to a lesser extent. During the COA comparison and approval phases, I'm sure the SOF specific option was shot down for Iraq because of the increased threat posed by Saddam's army. Afghanistan, on the other hand, was an open book to the CIA, and we knew what to expect and where to expect it- which is easily exploited by SOF elements, you can kill anything if you show up to the hunt with the right gun.
So kids (which 1/2 of you may be older than me), at least 2 COAs for career progression, distinctly different.

COA 1: I'm going to enlist in the MD ARNG under an SF contract and become an 18B.

COA 2: I will go AD Army as an 11B and work at being the best damn 11B I can be until I get a shot at going to Selection.

COA 3: I will not be able to enlist because I am prior service, have a DUI on my record, and there is a drawdown coming. I will finish my Associate's in Homeland Security and see what type of LE job I can land, preferably VA State Police. As soon as I have the opportunity, I will re-enlist. I would also, time permitting, start on a Bachelor's degree along the same lines as my Associate's.

If anyone wants to talk MDMP I have done entirely too much of it at the battalion and Corps level.

Alright Wannabe's, time to start typing your responses (stomp, stomp).

Sorry, Free. Too busy making my Christmas list comprised of Oakley's Ballistic M-Frames, gigantic G-Shock watches (I own a G-shock and love it), large back packs laden with Molle, SOF patches to apply to the afore mentioned back pack, subscription to Delta Force and DEVGRU monthly and a gift card to the local tattoo shop so I can start my Trident tattoo before I get to boot camp. :D:ROFLMAO:

I'm an Ironman Triathlon kinda guy myself (the watch and never the race).

COA 2: I will go AD Army as an 11B and work at being the best damn 11B I can be until I get a shot at going to Selection.

Have you considered 11B Opt. 40? Then you have 2 more possible tiers (Ranger Bn or 82nd) that you're setting yourself up for. I didn't believe it until I came to SF and actually got to work with conventional forces outside of the 82nd- having jump school as an additional mini-selection process really does put you with a higher caliber of dudes.

I'm an Ironman Triathlon kinda guy myself (the watch and never the race).

I have one of those as well. $30 and just as indestructible as my G-shock. The G-shock is solar & atomic which means maintenance free other than switching time zones.

Sorry, back on track...

COA 1: I'm enlisted with an 11x Opt. 40, will pass RASP and become an infantryman in the 75th Ranger Regiment.

COA 2: I'm enlisted with an 11x Opt. 40 and I'm going to be the best airborne infantryman as I can be.

COA 3: If something happens to me during airborne, I'm going to be the best infantryman I can be.

In the case of COA's 2 and 3 I would work my ass off in whatever unit I'm assigned then 4187(?) to RASP as soon as I could.

Have you considered 11B Opt. 40? Then you have 2 more possible tiers (Ranger Bn or 82nd) that you're setting yourself up for. I didn't believe it until I came to SF and actually got to work with conventional forces outside of the 82nd- having jump school as an additional mini-selection process really does put you with a higher caliber of dudes.

I was under the impression that there were no Opt. 40's available for Prior Service. If that is wrong, then that would definitely be something I would look into.

COA 1: I enlist with an SO contract, get through Basic, Prep, Orientation. Go to BUD/S and SQT, make it through and head to a SEAL team.
COA 2: I enlist with a Corpsman contract, go FMF route and try out for the SARC pipeline. If that doesn't pan out I go to be the best Doc I can be.
COA 3: I go with the needs of the Navy and be the best Sailor I can be.

You cannot get 11x as a prior service soldier, much less an opt. 40 right now. You can get 18x if you are an E-4 or below. I have known many people to not make SFAS and then put in for RASP as soon as they can, and guys who didn't make RASP put in for SFAS as soon as possible. So there are definately options, once you are back in.

You cannot get 11x as a prior service soldier, much less an opt. 40 right now. You can get 18x if you are an E-4 or below. I have known many people to not make SFAS and then put in for RASP as soon as they can, and guys who didn't make RASP put in for SFAS as soon as possible. So there are definately options, once you are back in.

If the Guard route falls through it would be because the waiver got shot down. In that event, I assumed the same would also happen if I tried to enlist as an 18x. Also, I believe I would be coming back as an E-5. I'm not sure what the Army's policy is on voluntary reductions in paygrade. So I think I would need to go the 11B route and focus on being a good infantryman until I could get a package in for SFAS. The advice and info is greatly appreciated.

COA 1: I enlist with an SO contract, get through Basic, Prep, Orientation. Go to BUD/S and SQT, make it through and head to a SEAL team.
COA 2: I enlist with a Corpsman contract, go FMF route and try out for the SARC pipeline. If that doesn't pan out I go to be the best Doc I can be.
COA 3: I go with the needs of the Navy and be the best Sailor I can be.

Seems like COA 1.5 could be, enlist as HM, go FMF or however the cookie crumbles, maintain my physical conditioning, go to BUD/S after X years doing cool, medic shit. Having X years in the big Navy before going to BUD/S will be advantageous.
Just a thought.

Seems like COA 1.5 could be, enlist as HM, go FMF or however the cookie crumbles, maintain my physical conditioning, go to BUD/S after X years doing cool, medic shit. Having X years in the big Navy before going to BUD/S will be advantageous.
Just a thought.

I get what you are saying- my thought process is the fact I see all the issues people on here have as prior service or current AD when it comes to getting into BUD/S, SFAS, etc. So I figure stick with the direct routes.

I get what you are saying- my thought process is the fact I see all the issues people on here have as prior service or current AD when it comes to getting into BUD/S, SFAS, etc. So I figure stick with the direct routes.

I should have pointed something out in my previous post. You'll enlist with something other than an SO contract and then earn it while in DEP. I don't know if that part has been explained to you or not. I know recruiters are not always the best source of information when it comes to NSO/NSW. If you have any questions on how that part works, feel free to shoot me a PM.

I should have pointed something out in my previous post. You'll enlist with something other than an SO contract and then earn it while in DEP. I don't know if that part has been explained to you or not. I know recruiters are not always the best source of information when it comes to NSO/NSW. If you have any questions on how that part works, feel free to shoot me a PM.
Ok I wasn't 100% clear on that- i wasn't sure if you initially signed up with the SO or something else. Thank you for the clarification

Glad I could help. I wasn't 100% clear on it either when I was at MEPS, signing my original Aircrew contract. I walked out of MEPS very unsure about what I had done and even less sure about how the process worked. Again, PM box is always open.

COA 1: I'm enlisted with an 11x Opt. 40, will pass RASP and become an infantryman in the 75th Ranger Regiment.

COA 2: I'm enlisted with an 11x Opt. 40 and I'm going to be the best airborne infantryman as I can be.

COA 3: If something happens to me during airborne, I'm going to be the best infantryman I can be.

In the case of COA's 2 and 3 I would work my ass off in whatever unit I'm assigned then 4187(?) to RASP as soon as I could.

Don't mess up in RASP the first time - RASP is not like SFAS as it is tough as shit to 4187 from your infantry unit for a RASP slot. The 75th prefers people to be "Raised" in the 75th and not come from the outside. Just some motivation for your first time around.

Back