Introduction

Where to start? I am 26 years old, from the East Coast of the US, went to a top 10 school district, and when leaving highschool I decided I wanted to be a SWCC. I had a high level of fitness, wrestled, TKD blackbelt and was pretty smart taking mostly above average to college level courses. I decided I wanted a job that would utilise all my potential and knew the office wasn't for me.

I completed 1000 situps in under 30min as a requirement for my 2day overnight Blackbelt testing and never went over 6 or 700 while training. I figured out that after 200 it stopped hurting, and the will to continue was what mattered. I earned my Blackbelt and had the same fire for SWCC. I knew if I took that fire and prepared I could make it in special operations.

While preparing for the PST I found out I had Glaucoma at 18, very rare at that age, but because we caught it early my eyes would be fine. Speaking with my recruiter he tells me that because it is chronic it is an automatic DQ, done, go home, didn't want to know me. I was crushed.

Tried everyone for a waiver, went to the other branches but could not get anywhere, dead duck. I ended up moving to New Zealand for a gap year as I did not have a major in mind and ended up staying. I hadn't gotten my eyes check for a bit as it wouldn't really affect me until much later. Went in told the doc what I had and that I needed meds, he had a look, has a second person look, and say they see nothing. The next day I downloaded the Navy PTG and went to work, full stream.

Told the gf whom I was already rocky with that I'm staying a few more months to train then leaving. Three months in and the long runs are getting to be normal, CSS is getting smooth and she sits me down because she has something to tell me... I'm gonna be a dad.

Well I already I didn't want to bring her as I knew about divorce rates in the teams and the only way to bring her to see my kid was marriage. I decided to stay to raise my son in NZ as I didn't think I'd be able to have much of a relationship with him with the strain of the job and distance. I am no longer with her but love my kid to bits.

New Zealand does offer the NZSAS and that is what I am currently preparing for. I'll be 30 when eligible for the SAS here so it weighs on me whether or not I should have stayed or if I should go now with time on my side(probably SF if I did). But I train none the less.

Would be good to hear from those in a similar situation,
TheQuietOne

Back