Introductions

Skraal

Unverified
Hello Everyone

I am in my early twenties and I just took the oath of enlistment two days ago. Currently I am in the process of trying to earn a SWCC contract, my first workout was today and my first pst is on Monday. SWCC looks very fun and plus I really like the water. I don't care too much about seeing or not seeing combat, mostly just care about being a commando of the seas and having the training to protect myself, future teammates if all goes well, my countrymen, and my family.
Currently my physical fitness exceeds the standards, my weakest link is the combat side stroke, so I think I will just stick to the breast stroke because I am faster and more efficient at that. Not too worried about tiring out the chest because I just tested it, and after swimming for 10 minutes breast stroke as fast as I can and resting for 5 minutes I can bang out 70 clean pushups in a minute and 7 seconds.
I have read a lot of the posts here relating to SWCC and the information has been very insightful and has gotten me more excited for the opportunity of earning the privilege to become one of the boat men.

Looking forward to talking to all who see this and gaining more knowledge from those who have more experience than me.

What did you enlist in under oath?

Welcome aboard.

Welcome, brother. I love your enthusiasm. I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but the breast stroke is not acceptable. I know that the website says that it is, but they won’t accept it past your first test. They will tell you the next time you return you need to do the combat swimmer side stroke. Breast stroke is definitely not acceptable once you enter the pipeline. Don’t get discouraged, Keep me posted with your progress!

The reason that breast stroke isn’t acceptable is that you can’t breast stroke with fins and you can’t water rescue with breast stroke. On the SEAL/EOD/Diver side, you can’t breast stroke with a tank on your back.

Also Combat Swimmer Side Stroke when your top hand doesn’t leave the water is splashless and stealthy. Breast stroke is not stealthy.

Welcome, brother. I love your enthusiasm. I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but the breast stroke is not acceptable. I know that the website says that it is, but they won’t accept it past your first test. They will tell you the next time you return you need to do the combat swimmer side stroke. Breast stroke is definitely not acceptable once you enter the pipeline. Don’t get discouraged, Keep me posted with your progress!

Hey Arf,
Thanks for the info, I asked 2 different people already in the warrior challenge program who are helping me out, and I got 2 different answers, so just to be safe I'll just practice the side stroke. I'm not bad at it, but It just feels slow and awkward. Oh well, just have to keep practicing. Everything else though for the pst I blow out of the water, so the only are of focus needed is the combat side stroke.

Will do, just a little nervous because I just started today and the pst is already on Monday. My ship date is the end of January, so it gives me plenty of time, but I'd rather get this stroke down as soon as possible. Gonna spend the next few days in my pool practicing like a madman.

I wouldn’t lead you astray, I became a SWCC somewhat recently, so my info is pretty current. Breast stroke is used for underwater swims only. Don’t practice breath holding in the pool. Practice it in bed.

I wouldn’t lead you astray, I became a SWCC somewhat recently, so my info is pretty current. Breast stroke is used for underwater swims only. Don’t practice breath holding in the pool. Practice it in bed.
Got it, for now I'm shifting my workouts to enhance my pst, so I'm not gonna waste time doing something that doesn't enhance it. I really want this job and I don't want to fail; I'm gonna do everything I can to make it.

Hey Arf,
Thanks for the info, I asked 2 different people already in the warrior challenge program who are helping me out, and I got 2 different answers, so just to be safe I'll just practice the side stroke. I'm not bad at it, but It just feels slow and awkward. Oh well, just have to keep practicing. Everything else though for the pst I blow out of the water, so the only are of focus needed is the combat side stroke.
Something I wish somebody had told me: learn the css on BOTH sides. I had never in my life swam on my right side before and the very first pst we did in Coronado, the instructors told us we had to switch sides every lap. I’m not saying you need to waste time becoming a pro, but definitely get accustomed to switching sides. This was in ‘08 and all my boys/ex-roommates were probably Arf’s instructors so maybe he can update us.

Back