iPhone 8 (coming soon...might as well start the discussion)

IOS 11.2.5 is the newest update and is pretty cool. She will read you the latest news updates from CNN, Fox, NPR, or Washington Post. (I have mine set on Fox).

Just say "hey Siri, read the news" and it does. I think it pulls from the news sites hourly podcasts, I've been playing with it a bit and really like it.

As an aside, I said, "Hey Siri, Sports Report". And she read me the latest ESPN sports headlines!

Very cool IOS update this is!

ETA - This does not work if your phone is in "low power mode".

Last edited:
It's not iOS but my android has something similar with the alarms I set. It does what you mentioned and pull the top headlines on the internet from various places, I'm not sure if Bixby can do what you described and just read headlines on demand.

But I agree, it's a really cool feature. Still amazes me that not that long ago all we had were flipphones and Nokias.

It's not iOS but my android has something similar with the alarms I set. It does what you mentioned and pull the top headlines on the internet from various places, I'm not sure if Bixby can do what you described and just read headlines on demand.

But I agree, it's a really cool feature. Still amazes me that not that long ago all we had were flipphones and Nokias.
Siri is like three years behind..."Ok Google, read news" Freaked me out, no thanks.

Would that be a kind of censorship? It’s drawing a long bow but If you chose your sources personally no. If an algorithm picks your choices for news at random I’d be wary.

It's interesting you bring that up, I was just talking with a friend yesterday about whether or not the way Google, Twitter, and YouTube does it's search algorithms is a mild and subtle form censorship. Personally, I think it is outright censorship albeit not on the scale of Brave New World and 1984, it's actively picking and choosing what articles, tweets, and videos one sees.

For example, the average person doesn't put that much effort into researching stories or looking into the history of something and so they take it at face value. Case in point the legend that Mr. Rogers was a stone cold pipe hitter, instead of just a geriatric in a sweater vest. A quick google search will reveal that the legend is false but how many people are going to take the time to do that? Sure a few will, but like the guy, @Ooh-Rah mentioned there will always be that one who believes it and actively tries to spread it and that's all it takes to start a movement or spread an ideology.

All of this is the absolute basis of PYSOPs isn't it? It's still censorship and active manipulation of the information you have access to even if its just a little bit harder to find it.

I find the news function on Windows 10 to be a good source of news particularly if you want up to date information on what Gigi Hadad wore shopping in Paris or how to lose 40 kilos on a fail safe diet. 1984 wasn’t meant to be an instruction manual.
I do get news in the form of podcasts which one may surmise is similar but it’s a choice I personally make & not an automated one.

At least you get to hear about what Gigi Hadad is or isnt wearing..for a while all I was getting was stuff about Bannon and Wolff :ack:

I've started using podcasts as well specifically the Covert Contact one, I just wish he would do them more frequently.

Back on track please...

If you want to bash the iPhone, start a thread for that.
If you want to ... @CQB and @SaintKP hell I don't even know what you guys are talking about here....

Back