.Is failing the depth perception test disqualifying for an 0321 Reserve Contract?

ProdigalPinata

Unverified
Starting the process with a recruiter and they said they’re not sure. I would like to have an idea before I get to MEPS and my goal is thrown out the window.

On the qualifications it only mentions sight and color blindness.

Thanks

Starting the process with a recruiter and they said they’re not sure.

Sigh....that's good enough for you? What if someone comes into this thread and says, "Good news, I am 100% certain you have nothing to worry about! No depth perception required for jumping out of airplanes! RAH!" Then what? Are you going to just forget about it and go to MEPS? Are you going to tell the MEPS docs that some guy on an internet board said it didn't matter?

Come on man. Your recruiter is there for more than showing you cool videos and counting your pullups. Make him do his damn job. LIkely he does know, but also knows you won't like the answer and is banking on MEPS to talk you into signing a different job or open contract.

Sigh....that's good enough for you? What if someone comes into this thread and says, "Good news, I am 100% certain you have nothing to worry about! No depth perception required for jumping out of airplanes! RAH!" Then what? Are you going to just forget about it and go to MEPS? Are you going to tell the MEPS docs that some guy on an internet board said it didn't matter?

Come on man. Your recruiter is there for more than showing you cool videos and counting your pullups. Make him do his damn job. LIkely he does know, but also knows you won't like the answer and is banking on MEPS to talk you into signing a different job or open contract.
No, it’s not good enough. I just figured with this being such a large group that someone may have run into this and would be able to give some insight.

The two that I have spoken with honestly seemed perplexed and said to search around. I will give him a call tomorrow and state that I need to know before moving on. That if it is a factor, is it waiverable like some other SO jobs in branches.

It’s unfortunate I have 20/20 in both eyes, but was told my left eye is just “lazy” compared to my left.

I have signed an 0321 contract and I failed the depth perception test at MEPS, so I doubt it would hinder your chances of a Recon contract.

Just googled, found this.
Click here for reference material.

I'm with @Ooh-Rah, your looking at a life changing trade at least use some effort to educate yourself and put your foot forward get the recruiter more involved.

The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction are:

a. Distant visual acuity of any degree that does not correct with spectacle lenses to at least one of the following:

(1) 20/40 in one eye and 20/70 in the other eye.

(2) 20/30 in one eye and 20/100 in the other eye.

(3) 20/20 in one eye and 20/400 in the other eye. However, for entrance into USMA or ROTC, distant visual acuity that does not correct to 20/20 in one eye and 20/40 in the other eye is disqualifying. For entrance into OCS, distant visual acuity that does not correct to 20/20 in one eye and 20/100 in the other eye is disqualifying.

b. Near visual acuity of any degree that does not correct to 20/40 in the better eye.

c. Refractive error (hyperopia, myopia, astigmatism), in any spherical equivalent of worse than -8.00 or +8.00 diopters; if ordinary spectacles cause discomfort by reason of ghost images or prismatic displacement; or if corrected by orthokeratology or keratorefractive surgery. However, for entrance into USMA or Army ROTC programs, the following conditions are disqualifying:

(1) Astigmatism, all types over 3 diopters.

(2) Hyperopia over 8.00 diopters spherical equivalent.

(3) Myopia over 8 diopters spherical equivalent.

(4) Refractive error corrected by orthokeratology or keratorefractive surgery.

d. Contact lenses. Complicated cases requiring contact lenses for adequate correction of vision, such as corneal scars and irregular astigmatism.

e. Color vision. Although there is no standard, color vision will be tested because adequate color vision is a prerequisite for entry into many military specialties. However, for entrance into the USMA or Army ROTC or OCS programs, the inability to distinguish and identify without confusion the color of an object, substance, material, or light that is uniformly colored a vivid red or vivid green is disqualifying.

Edit:
Specifically the eyes,
The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction are:

a. Lids.

(1) Blepharitis, chronic, of more than mild degree.

(2) Blepharospasm.

(3) Dacryocystitis, acute or chronic.

(4) Deformity of the lids, complete or extensive, sufficient to interfere with vision or impair protection of the eye from exposure.

b. Conjunctiva.

(1) Conjunctivitis, chronic, including trachoma and allergic conjunctivitis.

(2) Pterygium, if encroaching on the cornea in excess of 3 millimeters (mm), interfering with vision, progressive, or recurring after two operative procedures.

(3) Xerophthalmia.

c. Cornea.

(1) Dystrophy, corneal, of any type, including keratoconus of any degree.

(2) Keratorefractive surgery, history of lamellar and/or penetrating keratoplasty. Laser surgery or appliance utilized to reconfigure the cornea is also disqualifying.

(3) Keratitis, acute or chronic, which includes recurrent corneal ulcers, erosions (abrasions), or herpetic ulcers.

(4) Vascularization or opacification of the cornea from any cause that is progressive or reduces vision below the standards prescribed below.

d. Uveitis or iridocyclitis.

(2) Chorioretinitis or inflammation of the retina, including histoplasmosis, toxoplasmosis, or vascular conditions of the eye to include Coats' disease, Eales' disease, and retinitis proliferans, unless a single episode of nown cause that has healed and does not interfere with vision.

(3) Congenital or degenerative changes of any part of the retina.

(4) Detachment of the retina, history of surgery for same, or peripheral retinal injury or degeneration that may cause retinal detachment.

f. Optic nerve.

(1) Optic neuritis, neuroretinitis, secondary optic atrophy, or documented history of attacks of retrobulbar neuritis.

(2) Optic atrophy, or cortical blindness.

(3) Papilledema.

g. Lens.

(1) Aphakia, lens implant, or dislocation of a lens.

(2) Opacities of the lens that interfere with vision or that are considered to be progressive.

h. Ocular mobility and motility.

(1) Diplopia, documented, constant or intermittent.

(2) Nystagmus.

(3) Strabismus, uncorrectable by lenses to less than 40 diopters or accompanied by diplopia.

(4) Strabismus, surgery for the correction of, within the preceding 6 months.

(5) For entrance into the USMA or ROTC programs, the following conditions are also disqualifying: esotropia of over 15 prism diopters; exotropia of over 10 prism diopters; hypertropia of over 5 prism diopters.

i. Miscellaneous defects and conditions.

(1) Abnormal visual fields due to disease of the eye or central nervous system, or trauma. Meridian-specific visual field minimums are as follows:

(a) Temporal, 85 degrees.

(b) Superior-temporal, 55 degrees.

(c) Superior, 45 degrees.

(d) Superior nasal, 55 degrees.

(e) Nasal, 60 degrees.

(f) Inferior nasal, 50 degrees.

(g) Inferior, 65 degrees.

(h) Inferior-temporal, 85 degrees.

(2) Absence of an eye, congenital or acquired.

(3) Asthenopia, severe.

(4) Exophthalmos, unilateral or bilateral, non-familial.

(5) Glaucoma, primary, or secondary, or pre-glaucoma as evidenced by intraocular pressure above 21 millimeters of mercury (mmHg), or the secondary changes in the optic disc or visual field loss associated with glaucoma.

(6) Loss of normal pupillary reflex reactions to accommodation or light, including Adie's syndrome.

(7) Night blindness.

(8) Retained intraocular foreign body.

(9) Growth or tumors of the eyelid, other than small basal cell tumors which can be cured by treatment, and small nonprogressive asymptomatic benign lesions.

(10) Any organic disease of the eye or adnexa not specified above, that threatens vision or visual function.

Last edited:
It’s possible to get a recon contract and not pass the NSW/SOF physical to go to jump or dive. Either way go for it. It’s a great journey

It’s possible to get a recon contract and not pass the NSW/SOF physical to go to jump or dive. Either way go for it. It’s a great journey

Sorry for such a late response. Would that mean I wouldn’t get the opportunity for those schools?

Back