Is Joining the SEALs worth it anymore? Sad, Frustrated, and Confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punisher1999

Unverified
Hey guys! I've had plans to join the SEALs after college since I was 16 years old. I'm 21 now but I'm seriously considering joining another Spec Ops group (Green Beret, but I don't want to teach, maybe Airforce as a TacP?? who knows) Now that there have been all these scandals with SEALs and the bad Navy's leadership; plus all the people saying that SEALs don't get action anymore and their reputation is quickly declining due to their bad conduct on deployments, etc. Anyway, my heart is still set on the SEALs right now. I don't know what it is but it doesn't feel right considering another branch. I want to see action, I want to be involved with guys that have good moral character and values, I just hope I can find that in the SEALs. A buddy of mine just dropped out of the navy before he shipped and he's going with another branch. Kinda got me thinking. The last thing I want is to be stuck with a bunch of asshole individuals. Advice, thoughts, discussion welcome, and needed!

We have an active duty <Mod Redacted> badass on here <Mod Redacted> I'd reach out to him if you have serious questions about NSW. I went NSW Prep as an SO candidate so that's the only first hand info I have when it comes to NSW (and Lord knows that didn't end well). I met a lot of amazing guys who went on to be SWCC and SEAL operators. So take that how you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
SEAL bashing is a guilty pleasure of mine, being a former Recon Marine (we have a bit of maritime rivalry with the SEALs). That said, and despite the stuff you've seen in the news recently, every single SEAL I've met and worked with (and we worked with a fair few of them when they started doing VBSS again) was a solid dude.

There's bad apples in every organization - no matter how high you climb. While I wouldn't have wanted to be a SEAL, and they may have had some issues, if you think all of them are jacked up or immoral or something, then you are way off base.

Bottom line, decide for yourself what mission set you are interested in and pursue that path. No paths are perfect, and you'll have to deal with different flavors of BS no matter which you pursue.

Coming at this from a different angle, what is it that attracted you to the SEALs in the first place?

SEAL bashing is a guilty pleasure of mine, being a former Recon Marine (we have a bit of maritime rivalry with the SEALs). That said, and despite the stuff you've seen in the news recently, every single SEAL I've met and worked with (and we worked with a fair few of them when they started doing VBSS again) was a solid dude.

There's bad apples in every organization - no matter how high you climb. While I wouldn't have wanted to be a SEAL, and they may have had some issues, if you think all of them are jacked up or immoral or something, then you are way off base.

Bottom line, decide for yourself what mission set you are interested in and pursue that path. No paths are perfect, and you'll have to deal with different flavors of BS no matter which you pursue.

Coming at this from a different angle, what is it that attracted you to the SEALs in the first place?
Thanks for the reply! Really what drew me to the SEALs a lot of things like their training. It’s renowned as the toughest in the world and I want to be the best there is. Also they pretty much do everything, sea, air, land operations and I love diving and swimming so that was a huge thing for me. And I know this is cliche but their tradition. BUD/s, the fact that you can come in off the street, and also the fame the famed they’ve received has also contributed if I’m honest. I’m going to stick with my decision at least for now. Stick with my dream. I’ve always wanted to be a SEAL and that’s what I’m going to do.

Sounds like you have some growing up to do before you make it into any Special Operations unit.
Lol. Sounds like you still need to grow up. I don’t have time for crap like this. Just because you’re SOF doesn’t give you the right to act like a ass. If you have something constructive to say I’ll listen. if all it is it BS I’m a sof guy so bow down, because I’m a badass, I don’t want to hear it. If you want to actually help guys like me that’s one thing. Be humble!!

Thanks for the reply! Really what drew me to the SEALs a lot of things like their training. It’s renowned as the toughest in the world and I want to be the best there is. Also they pretty much do everything, sea, air, land operations and I love diving and swimming so that was a huge thing for me. And I know this is cliche but their tradition. BUD/s, the fact that you can come in off the street, and also the fame the famed they’ve received has also contributed if I’m honest. I’m going to stick with my decision at least for now. Stick with my dream. I’ve always wanted to be a SEAL and that’s what I’m going to do.
You may want to do some further investigation and learn to separate the hollywood presentation of SEALs and reality.

Good luck to you one way or another.

Your response to @DZ is a good way to get launched from here, and that attitude won't serve you well in any of the communities you're thinking about trying to join.

Lol. Sounds like you still need to grow up. I don’t have time for crap like this. Just because you’re SOF doesn’t give you the right to act like a ass. If you have something constructive to say I’ll listen. if all it is it BS I’m a sof guy so bow down, because I’m a badass, I don’t want to hear it. If you want to actually help guys like me that’s one thing. Be humble!!
What a disappointment you are. I resisted my instinct to lock this thread and you proved me wrong.

You have no clue about the man to whom you were just so incredibly disrespectful to.

Sad really.

I’m assessing 1 point to your profile for your comments to him.

You said it perfectly. I couldn’t say it better myself. This conversation has happened a lot recently, some of it in PMs and some of it on the forum:

Review of SOF Structure and Culture

This question frustrates me but I can’t say I blame the question. I hope the reason for the question is based off your need to be a part of a team that has integrity and a high moral character, rather than just looking for the most popular unit to join.

also the fame the famed they’ve received has also contributed if I’m honest

This is exactly the mentality that has bred any kind of toxic culture we have within the community. We do not want movie stars and divas who think they are better than everyone else. We want humble silent professionals who do not advertise the nature of their work. People who got into this for the fame are entirely the complete problem that we have.

Sounds like you have some growing up to do before you make it into any Special Operations unit.

I agree with DZ as usual.

Decide why you want to be here. I’m concerned with your comments regarding fame.
While you are deciding, I have some homework for you.

Look into

Air Force Combat Controller (CCT),

Air Force ParaRescue(PJ),

Air Force Special Reconnaissance (SR),

Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command (MARSOC) Raider,

Army Ranger,

Army 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (SOAR) Nightstalker,

Navy Special Warfare Combatant-Craft Crewman (SWCC)

Army Psychological Operations (PsyOp)

Army Civil Affairs (CA)

Last edited:
Sad to say these are the ones I saw as a Drill Sgt and then later when they went thru assessment and washed out. Or IF they made it through the pipeline no team wanted them so they went to some type of support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back