Joining U.S Rangers Internationally.

darryl

Unverified
Evening chaps,
As some of you may have already read in my introduction post, i am interested in joining the U.S Army Rangers when i finish college.
I Am an Irish Citizen, but should not have much of a problem gettin a working visa/ green card because of my mothers U.S citizenship. I was hoping somebody could advise me on how to go about applying for the Rangers overseas. Can i enter the Rangers straight off the bat, or do i have to join the regular Army to begin with? i am reading these different contract things such as 18x. I am not entirely sure what these are, so if anybody could clarify, I'd be much appreciative.
Also, any additional information you think would be important to a new recuit or in my case an international, would be grateful.
Thanks in advance,
Darryl.

I'm pretty sure you have to be a US citizen, and then have an option 40 contract to go through the selection pipeline.

An 18x is a Special forces MOS contract( Military Occupation Specialty) and has nothing to do with the US Rangers. What I would do is contact the US embassy in Dublin and info them about your queries. As your Mother is a US citizen They will entertain you and put you in the right direction.

Thats great, cheers.
Also, if i do join up, will i be immediately sent to ranger school, or how does it work?

I'm pretty sure you have to be a US citizen, and then have an option 40 contract to go through the selection pipeline.

That is my understanding as well, however with his mom a US Citizen (assuming she was one when he was born) he can hold/recieve a Citizenship but needs put the Irish one on hold till he gets out. Yes you can do it straight away but it needs to be done in the US.

Do a search regarding the pipeline, or visit the main site's Ranger section. There is a process and like any MOS it all starts in basic training.

Must be a US citizen to hold a security clearance which you will need to be a Ranger, that said if your mum's a US citizen shouldn't be an issue to get it easily enough.

EatIII, you sure about putting his Irish citizenship on hold? I've never hear that one before.

Talk to the US embassy about applying for your citizenship based on your mum's US citizenship.

Also look here for more info on immigration...

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

Good luck.

Must be a US citizen to hold a security clearance which you will need to be a Ranger, that said if your mum's a US citizen shouldn't be an issue to get it easily enough.

EatIII, you sure about putting his Irish citizenship on hold? I've never hear that one before.

Talk to the US embassy about applying for your citizenship based on your mum's US citizenship.

Also look here for more info on immigration...

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

Good luck.

Thats how I believe it used to be to hold a SC, any dual not just Irish:)

cool, thanks very much to all of you for helping. I'll be in contact with the Embassy over the weekend. should've done it before i turned 18...anywho, thanks a bunch for the info. Rangers lead the way.

You have to be a US Citizen to get a Secret clearance (minimum for 75th)

If your mother got her US citizenship before you were 18, you have a chance to be automatically naturalized. If she got it after you were 18, you have many years to wait.. But that ALSO depends on your fathers citizenship status.

If you somehow get your citizenship (which I doubt it because you dont even live here, and no investigator would ever grant you one), you CANNOT be a dual citizen. You must RENOUNCE your Irish citizenship before you can even think about getting a clearance. Renounce means for you to send give up your Irish passport and citizenship card to the proper authorities, as well as a written letter of citizenship renounciation.

I had to do the same before I got my clearance because I was dual citizen with Bulgaria.

Personally, from the info you gave us, I don't think you will be getting citizenship anytime soon. How old were you when your mother got hers, and where did you live. And what is your fathers citizenship?

Back