Joint Comms Unit

IT101

Verified Military
Ladies and gentlemen,
I know this has been addressed before (http://www.shadowspear.com/vb/threads/joint-communications-unit.7565/) and this plea for information is somewhat uncouth for a newbie, but I wanted to know if anyone here knows of any current/former members.

My desire is to chat with them on a non-Unclass network and see what it's all about. I've spoken to the recruiters, filled out the application at least 5 different times (I'm not kidding), but the time was never right. This time, it's all-or-nothing and I want to know what the day-to-day life of DoD's Finest Communicators consists of, and if they have any insight in to the selection process.

Kindly yours,
IT101

Well played, good sir.

Sadly, my experience was those interruptions were never "slightly less boring", but rather full blown emergencies because someone wasn't able to get to their Facebook. Oh, sorry, we don't surf FB on government computers... So they weren't able to get to ESPN. Whoops, another misconception from me, because work hours are only meant for, well, working.

I could regale you with a million different stories of these "outages" that... weren't.

Oh the lovely world of IT support, how I do not miss it. LOL

It looks like a really cool unit and I'm sure they do a lot of HSLD stuff but I'm sure it's more often just a boring garrison routine.

And oh how I will not miss it once my tenure is up, especially the "Comms" Officers who know nothing of Comms. That's akin to appointing a hippie to oversee a law enforcement department.

The great thing about JCU is the need to maintain a high level of proficiency on the newest gear, so training is of the utmost importance. The Navy is fine with giving us "newer" equipment once the private sector has relegated it to the bargain bin. Don't even get me started on training...

Even pre-9/11 they deployed a lot. My rigging partner at the JM course was a CPO from subs who was voluntold to report to JCU. They had comms then that kind of blew my mind; he enjoyed the unit and didn't want to go back to subs.

Pre-9/11 it was THE place to go if you were a comm guy. Guys from JCSE aspired to go to JCU. I'm sure the comm world has changed a great deal in 12 years, but JCU is still one of the premier gigs out there. There's a reason you don't hear much about the unit. :-"

Looks like I'll be filling out the application AGAIN, and putting it in ASAFP.

Btw, how do I "Like" or "Agree" with a post? I've enjoyed all inputs to this topic, but am (probably ignorantly) missing the ability to show my appreciation.

Looks like I'll be filling out the application AGAIN, and putting it in ASAFP.

Btw, how do I "Like" or "Agree" with a post? I've enjoyed all inputs to this topic, but am (probably ignorantly) missing the ability to show my appreciation.

The four buttons in the lower right corner of a post, immediately below the word "reply".

Ah, then I am missing something, but thankfully not due to a lack of attentiveness (my downfall). I do not have any boxes beneath the word "Reply". I do thank you for your immediate response!

A newbie getting ahead of himself, skirting around the Vetting process. My apologies, I'm working on getting that rectified as we speak. In my poor defense, it's just past midnight and I've still got some time to go.

A newbie getting ahead of himself, skirting around the Vetting process. My apologies, I'm working on getting that rectified as we speak. In my poor defense, it's just past midnight and I've still got some time to go.

No worries, Vetting is not mandatory but since you have the time. lol I hate shift work, hated being on call worse but at least you have solitaire to kill the time.

Solitaire? What is this Solitaire you speak of? I've heard rumors of entertainment in the form of "games", such as this Solitaire and... oh, what was it? Pin with a ball? Ball Point Pin? Oh, that's right: Pinball.

Actually, I've quite enjoyed killing most of my... Sorry, again, only "work-related" items at work. But I've enjoyed the time spent on this board, my new favorite pastime.

Ladies and gentlemen,
I know this has been addressed before (http://www.shadowspear.com/vb/threads/joint-communications-unit.7565/) and this plea for information is somewhat uncouth for a newbie, but I wanted to know if anyone here knows of any current/former members.

My desire is to chat with them on a non-Unclass network and see what it's all about. I've spoken to the recruiters, filled out the application at least 5 different times (I'm not kidding), but the time was never right. This time, it's all-or-nothing and I want to know what the day-to-day life of DoD's Finest Communicators consists of, and if they have any insight in to the selection process.

Kindly yours,
IT101

I just returned from JCU's selection and was selected. I had a few former JCU members in my group going through selection. You won't learn much about the unit through the application process or even at selection. What I learned from members was that you will deploy a lot and be expected to know your job in and out. They are pushing for all their members to be jump qualified, CCNA certified, and Network Plus certified. Everyone that I have talked to has loved the unit and had nothing bad to say about it. The selection process is either you have what they are looking for or do not. Submit your package and see what they say.

Is there any chance you would be willing to discuss this further on a different medium? I understand the sensitivity of the matter, and generally do not condone "cheating" of sorts, but any tips you can provide would be appreciated. I've got one year, maybe slightly less, until I can apply and would like to know what I'm in for. If not, I understand and will not pursue the matter further.

Back