64976jtf2posteren004f12jw1.jpg

64982jtf2posteren005f12dc3.jpg

64987jtf2posteren006f12yx0.jpg

64988jtf2posteren007f12ku3.jpg

64994jtf2posteren008f12fo4.jpg

65000jtf2posteren009f12xj3.jpg

65293jtf2posteren010f12sq9.jpg

not often we see these things....

For the edification of the 5-6 members that get down to this portion of the board....

A maroon beret in the US Army is not indicative of being SOF Support, it is an organizational piece of headgear that is worn by every member of that unit. Units wearing maroon berets are those with the Airborne tab over their unit patches. "Regular" units of this nature would include the 82nd Airborne Division and the 173rd Airborne Brigade.

You do not have to be airborne qualified to wear the maroon beret, but you do have to be in an airborne unit. Some airborne units will not allow their non-airborne (leg) members to wear the maroon beret until the successful completion of jump school (Basic Airborne Course).

To muddy the waters....

there are units on Airborne status that belong to a "leg" unit. One shining example of this would be our own LRS contingent on this board. Their company belongs to a leg brigade, only members of that particular company will have the airborne tab and maroon beret.

Now on to a SOF unit with maroon berets:

Every slot in a SOF unit is coded for airborne status, but I have seen where members, Active and Reserve Component) would be assigned to that SOF unit without completing jump school. They wear the maroon beret (unless as previously mentioned the local commander says "no") and will continue to do so after the completion of jump school. Particularly qualified members of said SOF unit will wear their respective berets (i.e. SF qualified will wear their green beret). A unit like the 160th SOAR will largely wear maroon berets (most pilots included) as the majority of the unit is neither SF or Ranger (and I won't touch the tan beret as I've seen it worn outside of the Ranger Regiment and do not understand why). An SF qualified soldier in a SOF Support role (like the 1SG for HSC or the Special Forces Battalion Support Company or whatever it is called now) would wear the green beret.

So, to try and recap: maroon beret = unit/ member on airborne status. SOF Support is on airborne status. Therefore SOF Support wears the maroon beret. Not all wearers of a maroon beret are SOF Support.

So the 160th is considered a SOF support unit ?

I don't know where you are going with this. They are an airborne unit. They are a SOF unit. One could argue, if they are so inclined, that they are a SOF support unit. At the end of the day, they don't have their own unique headgear, therefore they wear maroon unless they are SF (and maybe Ranger) qualified..

Non-SF (I'm leaving the Rangers out of this because I don't fully understand it) personnel assigned to a JSOC unit would wear a maroon beret because it is....an airborne unit.

PJ's wear the maroon beret too I believe, although that's Air Force and it seems this discussion is geared towards the Army.

As you said Free, airborne units.

On Topic: Awesome posters.

In Canada, the only ones to wear the Maroon Beret are qualified Jumpers that hold a jump position within the Jump company.
There is one Jump company in each of our light battalions.
There is one light battalion in each of our 3 Infantry regiments.

So really, not many people in Canada wear the maroon beret. Before the tan beret of the CSOR, the Maroon dudes were the cool kids on the block.
Although I always say:
"Mech yourself before you wreck yourself!"

Thansk for the Info FF. It must be a lot more difficult to understand all that with a military the size of yours.

So really, not many people in Canada wear the maroon beret. Before the tan beret of the CSOR, the Maroon dudes were the cool kids on the block.
Although I always say:
"Mech yourself before you wreck yourself!"

Thanks for the clarification Pete. Never got the honour of wearing Maroon, so I didn't want to explain and miss something or get it wrong.

That's a good reminder that in our Regular Units, there are a lot of highly qualified, experienced guys "floating" around and it's not just a hat that defines them.

Tan beret

I was told that if you are assigned to a SOF unit you can wear the Tan beret only if you were once assigned to the 75th Ranger Regiment before you came to that unit.
I asked because I was curious as to why I saw an Officer at SOCSOUTH wearing a Tan beret (with SOCSOUTH flash) when all the others around him wore maroon or green (with SOCSOUTH flash)

You will also see some guys in Civil Affairs wearing them(tan berets). I think that you have to earn a Regimental affiliation though.

:confused:

Roit...nice pix though. No-one really shoots black and white anymore and it's good to see great quality.

I was told that if you are assigned to a SOF unit you can wear the Tan beret only if you were once assigned to the 75th Ranger Regiment before you came to that unit.
I asked because I was curious as to why I saw an Officer at SOCSOUTH wearing a Tan beret (with SOCSOUTH flash) when all the others around him wore maroon or green (with SOCSOUTH flash)

If you would have looked at his unit patch, it probably would have still been a scroll. Sometimes there is a LNO element assigned to the commands

I see they use Sig's. Does the whole Canadian military use this fine pistol or just SOF.

At my first NSW command I was introduced to the very fine P226 and promptly went out and bought one for my personal weapon. At a later command we used the Beretta. Good enough weapon but I am glad that I am back to where I am using the Sig P228. I am constantly looking at thier site dreaming of my next pistol. Canadian SOF has good taste.

Graduate of RIP can wear the tan beret in SOF billet. Same goes for the Green beret. For picture proof look at the USASOC press releases of the current and past CGs noting their headgear.

In a past Best Ranger Competition, there were these 2 Delta guys, who showed up wearing tan berets with the red and black USASOC flash and DUI. Later when I deployed, I asked a scuba ninjas and he said that the command will allow former Batt boys to keep their tan beret, or if they choose to do so, they can wear a green beret. And former Group guys can decide to retain their Green Berets as well. I hope I explained it accurately, its been some years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back